Major League Baseball World Series

Started by AZOffaly, October 25, 2007, 09:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new devil

Quote from: stew on October 27, 2007, 06:28:30 PM
'Andrew Dice K' Matzuzaka is on the mound tonight. Consider the World series officially over after tonight folks. Beckett in game four and seven if needs be.

Boston are world series champions in 07 and Noo York are not, you gotta love it.  ;D

Yea and that would only leave them 20 behind the yanks ;)

looks like they are a sure thing...bottom of the 8th 9-5 red sucks

deiseach

Quote from: new devil on October 28, 2007, 04:28:13 AM
Yea and that would only leave them 20 behind the yanks ;)

I'm sure you recall the days of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig (who, in a curious coincidence, died of Lou Gehrig's Disease) and Mickey Mantle well.

mannix

Whats rare is wonderful.I am very happy for red sox fans, they have suffered a long time.Yankees are like Kerry,its great to be winning and it looks like it will never end, it always does end some day.

Aerlik

I happened to flick over to the game there tonight (last night's game, I dunno) and saw Daisuke Matsuzuka for the first time in years.  Just before I left Japan he was starring for his high school (Osaka?) in the national championships and he was something else.  I think he even had two games without giving up a strike.    He was then taken on I believe by the Yomiuri (Tokyo) Giants.  It was only a matter of time before he hit the big time in Sep-land.

What ever happened to Nomo?
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

stew

Quote from: Aerlik on October 28, 2007, 02:29:34 PM
I happened to flick over to the game there tonight (last night's game, I dunno) and saw Daisuke Matsuzuka for the first time in years.  Just before I left Japan he was starring for his high school (Osaka?) in the national championships and he was something else.  I think he even had two games without giving up a strike.    He was then taken on I believe by the Yomiuri (Tokyo) Giants.  It was only a matter of time before he hit the big time in Sep-land.

What ever happened to Nomo?

He played for several teams and is still playing in south America at the minute. I saw  him pitch in Miller Park for the brewers, he also threw a no no once in Colorado and nobody had ever done that before. Nomo had a gimmicky style but he could pitch with the best of them, albeit briefly.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heganboy

Not a good day to be a New York Baseball fan, congrats *through gritted teeth* to the Red Sox, they were the best team of the year  comfortably, and now God help us all, they will be one of the 29 teams bidding for A-rod...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

passedit

Quote from: heganboy on October 29, 2007, 12:45:21 PM
Not a good day to be a New York Baseball fan, congrats *through gritted teeth* to the Red Sox, they were the best team of the year  comfortably, and now God help us all, they will be one of the 29 teams bidding for A-rod...

Surely the red sox wouldn't have 'Mr April' about the place and as for the rest who could afford the insurance never mind the salary?
Don't Panic

Gabriel_Hurl

A-Rod will go to the other money pit in MLB - only on the National League side - the Cubs

stew

The Sox win, the sox win.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Steinbrenner must be really pished off now.

Fair play to the rockies, what they accomplished this season was remarkable and fair play to them for getting to the series for the first time ever.

A-Rod will be in pinstripes next year and no doubt he will be brilliant in the regular season and fade like a dodgy greyhound down the stretch. :-[
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gnevin

2 in 4 years , the people of Boston must be in Dream land
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

boston

Quote from: Gnevin on October 29, 2007, 04:22:49 PM
2 in 4 years , the people of Boston must be in Dream land

There is a great buzz in the town this morning, although I think there would have been a more euphoric response if they had clinched the series in fenway - I think that they are planning a victory celebration sometime tomorrow afternoon.  Interesting point there is a furniture store in New England called Jordans- any one that ever lived over here would recognise the name, basically at the start of the season they had a promotion wereby if you bought furniture they would reimburse you the full value if the Red sox won the world series, although they were insured in the even that the Red sox did win, someone is out a fortune this morning - Roll on the colts

Courtesy of the Boston Globe

Promotional rebate has thousands of Red Sox fans sitting pretty
October 29, 2007

BOSTON --When Marty Rodweller uses a $2,000 windfall to either remodel her bathroom or take a trip to Ireland next spring, she'll be thanking the Boston Red Sox.

The 53-year-old academic counselor from Danvers was preparing Monday to send an application for a rebate on a mattress and bed frame she bought last spring from Jordan's Furniture.

The chain ran a promotion offering full rebates if the Red Sox were to win this year's World Series -- a statistical long shot that came true Sunday night when Boston beat the Colorado Rockies in a sweep.

Rodweller decided to go to bed before Game 4 ended and the Red Sox clinched. When she couldn't sleep, she returned to watch the game's final hour-and-a-half.

She didn't have trouble nodding off the second time, though, knowing she could expect to see her $2,000 rebate check in a few weeks.

"Because they won, I slept like a baby," she said. "Now, I can't decide if I'm going to spend the money on the bathroom or a trip to Ireland next spring."

Rodweller said she bought the bed because she needed it, not out of any premonition that the Red Sox would win it all for the second time in four years. But because of the Jordan's promotion, "I followed the team more closely than I usually do," she said.

The four-store chain promised free sofas, chairs, dining tables and beds to customers who bought between March 7 and April 16 if the Red Sox won the championship. Jordan's took about 30,000 orders during the promotion.

Chief Executive Eliot Tatelman hasn't disclosed how much the rebates would total, but he won't have to pay it all. He bought an insurance policy to cover the losses.

Declan