Sinn Fein Introduces Water Charges In the North!

Started by Guillem2, October 22, 2007, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon

Water has to be paid for. We all knew that Connor didn't mean what he said at the election. If we don't pay for it who will?

Mind you Sinn Fein could have told us this earlier?  ??? Peace divedend? What's that?

I think Sky Blue doesn't like the North??  >:(
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

ONeill

Quote from: Guillem2 on October 22, 2007, 11:09:44 PM
Can you read O'Neill - "No water charges - your money down the drain!". They fought the last election on no water charges.

He he. You voted for them because you thought you wouldn't be paying for water eventually? Do you understand politics or electioneering at all?

If I were you, I'd invest in a bubble. Then I'd move in. You might find Narnia in there too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Guillem2

I understand the difference between the truth and a lie.

Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Donagh

Quote from: Guillem2 on October 23, 2007, 12:03:54 AM
I understand the difference between the truth and a lie.

So when you said "I attach a picture of them pulling down their "No Water Charges" Posters from Connolly House in Andersonstown"...

ONeill

I have no doubt SF, as the DUP, as the SDLP, were against water charges. Unfortunately, it has become clear after the recent independent review that unless we wanted to drink and wash in rat's piss over the next 30 years we need to raise the money somewhere, and we're talking about many many millions here (3bn). You'll be taxed somehow. We've known since March this was happening in 2009. Did you not believe it?

We all knew the £300-odd average was a red-herring to get the DUP/SF into talks. We're doing Ok.  You and me pay half the UK average on water and council tax.

Blacksheep

They lie just like them all. Sinn Fein said - "No water charges - your water down the drain!"  Water charges introduced by Connor Murphy SF Minister for Water Charges.

Sure there's no need for Fianna Fail to come North. Sinn Fein are the new Fianna Fail. Lieing bastards!
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Jack

Political Party in lying to the electorate shocker  :o  ::)

To be fair to poor auld Conor, his hands are pretty much tied - whoever finished up with the Regional Development brief was going to have to introduce water charges no matter what and anyone who thought otherwise may move into O'Neill's bubble.

ONeill

Sinn Fein also said "Brits Out"

Lying bastards.

Paisley once said - 'No surrender to the IRA!'

Lying bastard.

Abble

I can appreciate the fact that some form of rating has to be introduced to cover water charges.

My main gripe however is....in my case and plenty of others, I'm a single person living on my own - WHY would I need to pay the same amount as the family of 4 or 5 who live next door to me ? I will use nowhere near half the amount of water an average sized family will use but I still will be paying the same. That's unfair.

If a meter is installed by someone all well and good but I can see myself not paying anything until the whole thing is made fair and the only way to do that is meter everyone.
It works for electricity - if i was told to pay the same every year in electricity charges as what the family next door of 4 or 5 pay then there'd be uproar.

saffron sam2

Wee Conor can bring in the water charges and even trot out the standard party line crap. However, it is beyond him (and incredibly adolescent of him not) to actually to say the name of the water company that he is in overall charge of.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Billys Boots

The EU Water Framework Directive means that everyone in the EU will (eventually) have to pay for thier mains water - it's a bit disingenuous to be campaigning against water charges.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Balboa

We have been paying "water rates" for years, its just they have been hidden away in our rates. We will now be paying for it twice.

Orior

Quote from: Abble on October 23, 2007, 08:25:36 AM

My main gripe however is....in my case and plenty of others, I'm a single person living on my own - WHY would I need to pay the same amount as the family of 4 or 5 who live next door to me ? I will use nowhere near half the amount of water an average sized family will use but I still will be paying the same. That's unfair.

If a meter is installed by someone all well and good but I can see myself not paying anything until the whole thing is made fair and the only way to do that is meter everyone.
It works for electricity - if i was told to pay the same every year in electricity charges as what the family next door of 4 or 5 pay then there'd be uproar.

Excuse me! I live with my wife and her 3 younger sisters. All 5 of use regularly bath together to save water. And I've also started us all sleeping in the same bed to save on the electric blanket, but thats only when the wife is away.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Come on lads, who honestly thought that water charges would be scrapped - EVERY political party in the wee six campaigned on no water charges, and whoever got the post was going to have to impliment these charges. But why let that stop youse having the usual Sinn Fein bashing!!

I for one would rather pay £100  - £200 pa for a clean and efficient water service, rather then the other options whereby we let the situation get worse (which the brits did for the last 40 years!) have more flooding, fines by EU for our sewage problems and have to drink bottled water!
I totally agree with meters, it would be costly for the supply and installation of meters to every home, but they should be free or else us each households first bill to pay for these. Meters would encourage people to stop wasting water as well.

By the way the photo is of the SF offices on the Antrim Rd, across from the waterworks.
Tbc....

Donagh

The way I see it water charges are being introduced for home owners i.e. people who have already conceded the point that it is okay to profiteer from the buying and selling of what should be common to us all i.e. the land. So don't come crying when someone else takes this a step further and makes you pay for another common resource.