McKenna Cup

Started by Against the Breeze, October 12, 2007, 10:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Leo on October 24, 2007, 01:37:02 PM
As far as I know the only venues with lights up to standard are Casement, Newry Ballybofey, Clones and Omagh. Maybe Celtic Park but I'm not sure.But for floodlight games you need more than lighhts for the players, you need proper safe access lighting for people getting in and out, and decent toilets etc.
Ever try to come down the steps from the stand at Casement after a winter game? Hazardous is too kind a word - should not be allowed to host such a game with these unsafe gangways (usually unlit as well). Plus the toilets are an utter disgrace. The next time I see such a fixture I will notify Health & Safety - they would defiinitely close it down.

What is the point in putting lights up at Athletic grounds when the rest of the facilities are a shambles?

2008  Mc Kenna Cup still being staged in 19th century venues as far spectators are concerned - dull told elly looks the better bet.

Breffni park also has excellent lights. Held 3 out 4 home games in the league under lights last season.

Maguire01

Quote from: Leo on October 24, 2007, 01:37:02 PM
As far as I know the only venues with lights up to standard are Casement, Newry Ballybofey, Clones and Omagh. Maybe Celtic Park but I'm not sure.But for floodlight games you need more than lighhts for the players, you need proper safe access lighting for people getting in and out, and decent toilets etc.
Ever try to come down the steps from the stand at Casement after a winter game? Hazardous is too kind a word - should not be allowed to host such a game with these unsafe gangways (usually unlit as well). Plus the toilets are an utter disgrace. The next time I see such a fixture I will notify Health & Safety - they would defiinitely close it down.

What is the point in putting lights up at Athletic grounds when the rest of the facilities are a shambles?

2008  Mc Kenna Cup still being staged in 19th century venues as far spectators are concerned - dull told elly looks the better bet.

Clones doesn't have floodlights.

19th century venues aren't restricted to the McKenna Cup. How many Ulster venues would you truly describe as being of a 20th century standard? Not one, in my opinion.

Leo

Have a look at Park Esler - still some work to do, but superbly finished, great viewing terraces and magnificent stand with two-tier press box! New  dressing rooms on the way and more covered accommodation planned but definitley head and shoulders above the rest.
Fierce tame altogether

Deal_Me_In

What ever happened to the tickets people bought about 10 years ago in aid of building the Cardinal O'Fee (or something like that) stand at the athletics ground, since this has never happened did the people who bought the tickets get their money back or was the money squandered away?

orangeman

Squandered - stole - misplaced - it's all the same - the money is gone !

Maguire01

Quote from: Leo on October 25, 2007, 01:05:50 PM
Have a look at Park Esler - still some work to do, but superbly finished, great viewing terraces and magnificent stand with two-tier press box! New  dressing rooms on the way and more covered accommodation planned but definitley head and shoulders above the rest.

Yes, but compare it to some modern stadia in the UK and the rest of Eurpoe and it falls well short - take the Liberty Stadium in Swansea as an example:

or

(bearing in mind that the bright sunny day is not a regular visit to Newry!)

Similar capacity to Newry (c.20,000) but a world of difference is there not? In comparison to other GAA grounds in Ulster, Newry looks good, but on a wider stage, it's still 19th Century stuff.
It's the same as my recent points on another topic regarding the programme of increasing capacity in Munster - forget it, bring you stadia up to standard first and then see if you might need to consider increasing capacity.

Tyrone Dreamer

There is a difference, the stadium in Swansea looks and plain and lacks character compared to Newry. Thats a fantastic stadium in Newry and just about right for a county ground were championship matches arent played that often. A lot of gaa people like standing anyway for big games and the stand will cover most who want to go to it during winter/spring for league games when the weather is bad.

Rossfan

I cant get over this fascination people wanting Gaelic grounds to be like English(or Welsh !) Soccer ones.
We dont need all seater nonsense - 5000 covered seats isplenty with maybe 5000 covered terrace and the rest open.
Our grounds are filled occasionally while the Professional business that is soccer takes place regularly every fortnight.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Newry is a great ground....... on a lovely summer day. Like Down v Monaghan this year. When it's normal Irish weather it's not so nice.

Yes, i take the point that our grounds are not filled as regularly - that's where the GAA has to make some strategic decisions at the top and only develop a couple of grounds with bigger capacity.
Better grounds would attract bigger crowds - i'd have little doubt about that.

Yes Rossfan, we don't need all-seater. But some covered terracing would be nice. A league game in Casement on the terraces is not the most luxurious experience.

Our grounds don't have to be 100% enclosed or covered. But what's wrong with having covered stands that aren't like barns? (e.g. Casement again, and numerous others - hundreds of tons of concrete right the way around, how many times has it been full? ever? If half that money had been used to rebuild an extended stand right down one side of the ground, it would have been money better spent!)

Also, where there is seats, why can the GAA not just invest in plastic individual seats - like Newry! - look at Clones, a relatively recent stand, yet 90% are still on wooden benches, your spot separated by a rusted iron bar.

And again, facilities - toilets - not just a pipe and a drainhole!

There must be a happy medium surely?

Tyrone Dreamer

I would be in favour of putting a cover over terraces, would be a great job for Omagh. I think it works well at Parnell Park. It means everyone can be dry and helps to create a better atmosphere with the noise being kept in.

orangeman

A cover would be nice -

inisceithleann

Quote from: tram on October 25, 2007, 01:11:37 PM
Could Kinawley not hold floodlight matches for Fermanagh?

Don't think the lights are strong enough. The County Board have allowed games to be played there but unsure if 'officially' the lights are up to standard. Anyway kinawley does not have the facilities to hold a county game.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Leo

In agreement with Rossfan, Tyrone Dreamer & Orangeman that huge numbers of GAA fans - especially teenage to thirties - want to stand on terraces. Futher agree that the greater part of the terracing should be covered - not a huge expense - and that this is planned for Newry as the next stage of that project.

It is also the case that good facilities attract bigger crowds - proiven statistics show this.

However, good as Newry is, how often will it be used? I think Ulster Council should have developed 2 major venues - say Casement and Breffni (rather than Cloines) - casement to 5,0,000 and Breffni to 30,000 - with seating for about 20% at each and covered terracing on the opposite side to the stand. All Ulster Cahmionship games to be played at one or othet of these grounds. Allc ounty grounds to be developed for 10,000 - m12,000 which would cater fro all Nat League & other fixtures - each to hae 4,000 -5,000 coveres seats and agin plenty of covered terravcing. Maybe too late fot that now.

Why Breffni instead of Clones? Well desopie the Cavan man's reputation you dont get the rip-off mentality in Cavan town that exists in Clones and the new roads make it a more sensible venue.
Fierce tame altogether