McKenna Cup

Started by Against the Breeze, October 12, 2007, 10:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phpearse

From Hogan Stand.com

QuoteThe Ulster Council is to stage all of next year's Dr McKenna Cup games under floodlights.

Provincial bosses met on Tuesday night to decide on the schedule for the pre-season competition which was overshadowed by a player eligibility controversy earlier this year. And in an effort to avoid a repeat of that, the Council has decreed that third level colleges will again have first call on players.

Ulster Council spokesman Michael Hasson said: "Universities have the first choice. That was the case last year but not everybody bought into it.

"It will be policed under the new rules. Once the universities put in the names of the players they want, then the counties put in the names they want. There will be a wee bit of leeway then for the counties and the universities to thrash out any disagreements."

The Council is confident that it will be able to run off the competition in three weeks with the final taking place on January 26, possibly at Casement Park.

...and what about what the player wants???

Tyrone Dreamer

I hope they dont over do the number of games being played under lights for the mckenna cup and league. All but one of Tyrone's league games were under lights last year and personally I would have preferred a view Sunday one's. Night time in January isnt the most plesent time to be heading out to watch a game of football.

Doire abú

So any dates and venues confirmed?

orangeman

I agree Dreamer - let's get back to Sunday afternoons for the games.

Maguire01

It's a bit of a problem then that Monaghan have no match standard floodlit grounds. Do we just not get any home games then?

Tyrone Dreamer

Stop being greedy - you's already got to play the ulster final at home. Dont know what way its going to work, Im sure Monaghan arent the only county without a ground of sufficient size with floodlights. Come to think of it Armagh havent even got a decent ground without floodlights.

orangeman

Armagh - no floodlights ? Are they being installed at the Athletic gorunds presently as part of the redevelopment ?

Maguire01

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on October 20, 2007, 03:00:00 PM
Stop being greedy - you's already got to play the ulster final at home. Dont know what way its going to work, Im sure Monaghan arent the only county without a ground of sufficient size with floodlights. Come to think of it Armagh havent even got a decent ground without floodlights.

Well it's not like there's a massive home adantage with McKenna cup games anyway, but when you have 3 group games, surely you should have your home and away fixtures? Does Crossmaglen not have floodlights? I thought Monaghan was the last Ulster county without floodlights for some reason. If not, then we have at least 2 counties who can't have home games.

Oh, and as for the Ulster Final being at home, i'd say that Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal, probably Derry too, have played more championship games in Clones over the past 10/15 years anyway, so i don't think Monaghan have any massive home advantage there.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Does anyone know the fixtures yet??
Tbc....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on October 20, 2007, 03:56:40 PM
Armagh - no floodlights ? Are they being installed at the Athletic gorunds presently as part of the redevelopment ?

Yes, The Athletic Grounds are amongst the next on the list, so if the work hasn't begun yet it should do shortly.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tbrick18

What is the state of play in the Athletic grounds? It seems to be years and years since there was a game there.

orangeman

I saw machinery at it last week - work must have started recently.

Maguire01

It was all a lie!

QuoteUlster Council denies floodlit reports
23 October 2007

The Ulster Council has denied reports that next year's Dr McKenna Cup will be played entirely under floodlights.

The provincial body is keen to play more of its pre-season inter-county football competition under lights in order to adhere to new guidelines and complete the tournament within three weeks. But owing to the fact that a number of counties in the province still don't have floodlit facilities, the Council is not in a position to play all the games at night.

An Ulster Council official confirmed that "some, but not all" of the McKenna Cup games will take place under lights, with the competition due to get underway on Sunday, January 6.

Leo

As far as I know the only venues with lights up to standard are Casement, Newry Ballybofey, Clones and Omagh. Maybe Celtic Park but I'm not sure.But for floodlight games you need more than lighhts for the players, you need proper safe access lighting for people getting in and out, and decent toilets etc.
Ever try to come down the steps from the stand at Casement after a winter game? Hazardous is too kind a word - should not be allowed to host such a game with these unsafe gangways (usually unlit as well). Plus the toilets are an utter disgrace. The next time I see such a fixture I will notify Health & Safety - they would defiinitely close it down.

What is the point in putting lights up at Athletic grounds when the rest of the facilities are a shambles?

2008  Mc Kenna Cup still being staged in 19th century venues as far spectators are concerned - dull told elly looks the better bet.
Fierce tame altogether

bailestil

Quote from: Leo on October 24, 2007, 01:37:02 PM
The next time I see such a fixture I will notify Health & Safety.
Jesus, thats just want we need alright. health and Safety brigade landing.
Maybe they can get rid of the 3rd man tackle too ;)

Celtic park is getting them installed at the minute. to be in place by Christmas. Or so they say.
The place is cold enough in the summer. Can just imagine what temperature the concrete "seats" get to in January.