Tommy Breheny resigns as Sligo boss - Tommy Jordan takes over

Started by Owenmoresider, October 09, 2007, 11:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

I think brehony knew he had gotten the best possible performance from his panel and they scraped a connaught title and were ripped apart by a poor cork side despite having the players to compete.In my view sligo were full of themselves that day in croker and no manager can train that out of them.
Liam mchale is not up to a lot at management of a county side, a great man and was a great fielder but not aggressive enough for the likes of omahony or harte, sligo need a proven man, the ex fermanagh manager would be the ideal candidate.
And please stop counting on o hara to save the day, he is one man.

magpie seanie

A tad revisionist there Mannix. Sligo weren't "ripped apart" by anyone. Maybe one or two guys were "full of themselves" as you say but it certainly wasn't all or even the majority of them.

The replacement options mentioned do not fill me with hope. The only one I'd be interested in is Mulgrew. No offence to O'Hara (the greatest player I've ever seen in a Sligo jersey) but it would be a disaster if he was given the job. I'd be surprised to see that happening. TV3 though are well known for their in depth grassroots knowledge of all things GAA aren't they! Kearins would be a disaster. It took a couple of years to recover from his efforts. I don't rate Anthony Brennan as highly as many in (south) Sligo do. He has done it with strong panels of players (Sigerson) but that's not necessarily any indicator of how he'd do in the Sligo job. All the others are just high profile footballers who took a few training session with Sligo clubs. Lazy journalism.

mannix

Magpie. i am not revising anything.I watched the game hoping sligo would win since mayo were gone.
Sligo scored 8 points and cork 1 goal 11 points, cork were hardly able to believe how poor sligos passing was (from the horses mouth)..Ohara is needed as a player, not a manager.Mulgrew is the only man for the job.O Se,forde and the rest are good managers but mulgrew is a better man manager from what i understand and in a small place like sligo with limited pool of talent you need a good man manager to have any chance.
Sligo were deseving champions of connaught, will they wait another 30 something years to win AGAIN?
I will put my house on either Mayo or Galway being champions next year again though.
Sligo need to be playing the like of kerry, tyrone and cork every week to improve.The game is much faster at that level despite tipperary and co being good teams and fit.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Bensars on October 11, 2007, 09:25:51 AM
TV3 sports news last night were saying that eamon o hara was favourite

Poach John Maughan from Roscommon with O'Hara as his understudy. They could compare tanning tips on the sideline.

SLIGONIAN

I have to say I was shocked to hear this yday morning. Id like to thank him for all his hard work and effort over the last 2 yrs. When he took over he really turned things around. Im not that disappointed though. In his first yr he was faultless and got the best out of the team. But this yr I was left bemused and disappointed with tactics and positional switches and team selections. I personally believe theres alot more in this team and panel. I believe we were lucky to win connaght and I thank P forde for his errors on the day which I believe won it for us. We deserved our luck though. To me all yr we never reached our potential. In fact the best performance I seen was Wicklow away.

I hope charlie mulgrew will get new job. His brother lives in north sligo and is close family friend so I'll try and suss it out. [**Edited by Mod3**]. So chances of going outside are slim.The timing is strange too. I played under denis jonston with sligo vocational schools county team I thought he very poor. Hes obssessed with having physical players rather fit and fast. No real tactical awareness or no ability to change things. Training was boring with him. This MAYO men like casey,mchale Id tell them dont even bother applying. Only see it as a stepping stone to benefit themselves. As for brady, this is a man who used sligo to get back in the mayo fold saying he was about to join us. Absolute pr**k.  ;).

Anyways on a positive note, thanks Tommy we Sligofans owe you a depth of gratitude and best wishes in the future.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

paddypastit

Sligonian, yer a contary wan be times.  Maybe I misunderstood the post but Tom Breheny wasn't doing anything that he did for money so stop trying to make a name for yourself by speading baseless rumours.

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

stephenite

I'm waking every morning out here with a phone full of texts from a few lads in Sligo - latest I've heard is Liam Mc with Shane Tully and John McDermott (Riverstown) as selectors

paddypastit

QuoteJohn McDermott (Riverstown)
Never saw that coming!! lol because it's good to laugh. he's an undertaker though... ?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

magpie seanie

Paddy - your as well to ignore that lad with the outlandish rubbish he comes out with although that comment about Breheny was particularly disgraceful. A WUM, pure and simple.

O'Hara has ruled himself out fair play to him. He has a lot of ball to play yet. It simply has to be Mulgrew.

Gaaboardmod3

Sligonian, regardless of your source's reliability or not, that sort of allegation about money is not the sort of thing that should be posted on a public forum. I can imagine the man himself being fairly irate if he or someone he knew read it. I'm editing the comment out, but that sort of rumour should be kept to yourself unless you are willing to prove it. And even then, bear in mind that this board can be 'sued' for slander or libel. (I can't remember which is written and which is oral).

Cheers.

Homer

Bensars

Quote from: glenswilly gael on October 10, 2007, 09:41:41 AM
I feel that Charlie Mulgrew would be a good appointment for Sligo. I know you had a bad experience with the last Fermanagh manager you appointed but Charlie is a different type of Manager. Only problem for Sligo now is that unless the new man wins a Connacht title they will be seen as a failure. After not getting the Donegal job i think Charlie will be anxious to stay involved in county football and its only 70 miles from Letterkenny to Sligo Town.

They reckon hes even worsr than Dom Corrigan.

Some of the stories i heard coming from the fermanagh camp were hilarious. Think he just got lucky with the most talented squad fermanagh had in years

orangeman

Mulgrew can't be too bad - he got an awful lot out of a small number of average enough players ! Fermangh nearly beat Tyrone in Clones this year - as usual the manager is shite as soon as he steps down !!!!!!!

paddypastit

Orangeman - 2 things; Firstly should it be a 'small number of average enough players' or an 'average number of small enough players'

Secondly, was 'nearly beat[ing] Tyrone' really that much to right home about this year?

Rossfan

PLEASE PLEASE - steal J Maughan from us..... we might even pay ye...
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM