Tommy Breheny resigns as Sligo boss - Tommy Jordan takes over

Started by Owenmoresider, October 09, 2007, 11:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

just thinking there is must be the 1st time in Connaught anyway that 2 managers from the one club will be managing intercounty teams with Tommy Jordan now with Sligo and John Maughan with Roscommon where we all know he is well loved especially by the roscommon Board members here ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Buckass on November 07, 2007, 11:18:59 AM
Making an AI final and getting stuffed by Kerry ;)

well if your going to get beaten by anyone might as well make it Kerry ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

SLIGONIAN

I heard about him ages ago on hoganstand. I think it could be a great appointment. I do have a few concerns. Maybe the Mayo posters will be able to help answer them. He won so much at club level albeit with great players but why was he never given a chance with Mayo? He won the AI in 2001 6yrs ago long time not to be given a chance with Mayo. What do the players of crossmolina think of him? I do wish the best of luck and he definitly deserves his chance.

Very excited about the mchale park battle now. Should be a cracker. What realistically would be success next yr to me would be retain connaght at least and put up a better showing in the qf and see what happens...Never look back 2007 is over and I want that feeling again of winning connaght again.

I know the lads on this board think Im stirring regards my comments on Brehony but Im not. I would loved to have seen him do another year because I believe he would of learned from his mistakes but I would strongly disagree with anyone who says he got the best from our panel last yr. My point is he got the best from our fb line and 2or3 others on the day. Hopefully Tommy jordan will sort out the hb line and forwards. Maybe push j davey, mcnamara, ohara into the forwards.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

QuoteMaking an AI final and getting stuffed by Kerry

Good stuff Buckass.   ;D

Difficult question posed earlier. I'll have a go. We have to be realistic given our small enough population and the lack of additional talent in the county outside of this years panel.

I suppose success would be an improvement on last year i.e. win Connacht and win quarter final or at least perform better in 1/4 final. I'm not one of these people who gets too worried about the league so I wouldn't be mad worried about promotion though obviously slipping to Div 4 would be bad. I would see that as attainable. A tough one to attain but possible nonetheless.

the Deel Rover

just wondering was Jarlath Cunningham giving much credit as a trainer when he was down in Sligo with Peter Ford ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

magpie seanie

Have seen Cunningham at work first hand in the last few years and he is superb. I think he was involved since Forde was in Sligo too.

heineken_on_tap

I suppose success would be an improvement on last year i.e. win Connacht and win quarter final or at least perform better in 1/4 final. I'm not one of these people who gets too worried about the league so I wouldn't be mad worried about promotion though obviously slipping to Div 4 would be bad. I would see that as attainable. A tough one to attain but possible nonetheless.

Think that is ambitious Magpie given that firstly ye play Mayo in the first round and secondly been champions every other team will be out to knock ye i.e. no surprise factor this year..

In saying that cant be a bad thing having a Mayo man in charge - he will obviously know all the players well and maybe have a plan to beat them... Hopefully he does well but given the sucess of last year I think yer expectations are alittle high and winning another connaught title this year is unlikely, given Mayo and Galway are separated by the draw this year.

the Deel Rover

Yea he is an excellent trainer Magpie no two training sessions were ever they same, we used to  do a training session in the pool over the winter to make it different.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

magpie seanie

Heineken on tap - what would you define as success for Sligo in 2008?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 07, 2007, 12:19:37 PM
getting stuffed by Cork in Ai qaurter final who in turn get stuffed by Kerry in Ai Final ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 07, 2007, 12:19:37 PM

I would say to reach the quarter finals would reflect where this Sligo team are at the moment - However I dont think ye will get there by winning Connaught this time. And just to point out I dont mean that in a bad way,  I am just of the opinion that Connaught will be seriously competive next year and I think a rested/rejuvenated Mayo team will be very dangerous and I would expect them to come out on top. Bit early for that discussion i suppose ;)

all star

Don't know if Cunningham is that good some would say he's to arrogant, I have participated in a couple of his training sessions and wouldn't be blown away he's not everyones cup of tea and I know and would say there is a couple of the panel/team not looking forward to having him at every training session for the next year. So we will see...... anyway best of luck to tommy would say he will have a open door policy for the first couple of months as he didn't get to see much club football this year... interesting times   

the Deel Rover

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 07, 2007, 11:33:44 AM
I heard about him ages ago on hoganstand. I think it could be a great appointment. I do have a few concerns. Maybe the Mayo posters will be able to help answer them. He won so much at club level albeit with great players but why was he never given a chance with Mayo? He won the AI in 2001 6yrs ago long time not to be given a chance with Mayo. What do the players of crossmolina think of him? I do wish the best of luck and he definitly deserves his chance.

Very excited about the mchale park battle now. Should be a cracker. What realistically would be success next yr to me would be retain connaght at least and put up a better showing in the qf and see what happens...Never look back 2007 is over and I want that feeling again of winning connaght again.

I know the lads on this board think Im stirring regards my comments on Brehony but Im not. I would loved to have seen him do another year because I believe he would of learned from his mistakes but I would strongly disagree with anyone who says he got the best from our panel last yr. My point is he got the best from our fb line and 2or3 others on the day. Hopefully Tommy jordan will sort out the hb line and forwards. Maybe push j davey, mcnamara, ohara into the forwards.
i suppose the reason he never got the mayo job sligonian would be his lack of experience, He never played football at a senior club level he may have played intermediate with the club and bar crossmolina he has never managed any one else.He wouldn't be the most inspirational in the dressing room, most of the players he was managing at club level knew what had to be done to win a game. He is going to find it a big step up. He will have to make swithces quicker than at club level etc, i suppose when you see the cv's of the men who got the job ahead of him in Mayo he can have no complaints.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers