Ulster Club Hurling Championships

Started by Lecale2, October 08, 2007, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenbeg

Firstly before i start the rant well done to dunloy, so fair play to them and at the end of the day there name is on the cup!!

declan magee is a tr**p. how the f**k this man ever gets invovled in refereeing games. are there ref monitors at these games, he made a compete idiot of himself in the railway cup then pulls y'day performance out. he would put you off hurling. He definetly favoured dunloy,we didnt get one free within 45 metres of goal, everytime we scored he then give dunloy a soft free. I think it was number 14 who should defintely get then line for a dirty slap on emmet mc keever in the first half when he connected with emmetts face with a hurl with no attempt for the ball made. on the stand side on the in the second half the linesman took his cue from a dunloy man and gave two clear kl sidelines to dunloy.

But we can blame the referee all we want but at the same time all u want is a fair crack at it. after so much effort and trainig from the players it is just sickin!! we had also enough chances to bury dunloy yesterday but that life

Best of luck to dunloy in the all ireland series and we will see unes again next year!!!!

Posted on: October 28, 2007, 08:57:48 PMPosted by: hardstation  
Insert Quote
Well done Dunloy!!!!!
Ten points from today, in no particular order;
1. Bredagh men, where to fcuk do you get your names from?
2. Kevin Lynch's were unlucky. Dunloy still have the ability to get a goal or a couple of points in the last few minutes.
3. Declan Magee is a shite referee (to both teams today).
4. Cushendun must be shite if they were beaten by Liatroim because Liatroim are crap!
5. Geoffry should have kicked seven shades of shite out of Kevin Martin who did nothing other than act the complete bollox.
6. Dunloy are not a great team and I doubt that they will go any further (although I would like them to).
7. Dungiven had a bus "Banjos on tour" and about ten 16 year olds jumped off it and found it difficult to walk.
8. Kevin Lynch's have some fine hurlers and will get an Ulster title soon.
9. Some Dunloy hurlers are gone after this year. It's sad to see but the young blood that they have should provide some excitement.
10. Gareth Magee is a complete and utter wan*er!

Hardstation u are an idiot. Kevin lynchs and nothing to do wit that bus yesterday!!
And if ur a real dunloy club man then you should be backing your club and ALL the players up to the hilt and not slagging them off on the board, bet ur nice as pie to ther face. grow a backbone!!!

NAG

Owenbeg

I think a reality check is needed here big time. I have to say dungiven hurled well but when it came to the nitty gritty of the match when it was going full pace Dunloy outhurled you in every sector of the field.

They could have run out easier winners than they did with some poor shooting.

Aerlick

Dont come on here spouting rubbish. Dunloy have had the best record discipline wise in the whole of antrim for fews year no men on the line. After hearing some of the antics of the dungiven men im suprised they were able to hold back on sunday.
Secondly as an Antrim man I dont want any derry teams competing in the antrim leagues, sort your own house out and dont be looking to us to do it for you.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: NAG on October 29, 2007, 12:02:07 PM
Secondly as an Antrim man I dont want any derry teams competing in the antrim leagues, sort your own house out and dont be looking to us to do it for you.

If you don't want to see Derry develop as a competitive hurling county thats very small minded and only serves to weaken Ulster and consequently Antrim hurling down the line. More false dawns for many years to come...
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

theskull1

Quote from: Owenbeg on October 29, 2007, 11:20:12 AM
declan magee is a tr**p.
The most commonly used word around Dungiven. I believe it got plenty of usage yesterday anyway. Everybody seemed to be one in the sirs eyes. Are you proud of that behavior? I think it is a disgusting trait and one that will certainly win you no friends. It's the main reason why I have no sympathy for youse today. 

Not totally au fait with the rule book on these things but what Dick O'Kane was a yellow card for sure, but would you mind putting what he done into context. If you looked at his eye last night you could see where the dungiven defender hand gouged him through his visor face guard prior to him reacting (stupidly). Also....nobody is a fan of Deccy Magees refereeing style but for you to blame him for that defeat is unbelievable.

Quote from: Aerlik on October 29, 2007, 11:10:05 AM
Hopefully you can find the intelligence somewhere to answer my original question. :-\

When I hurled, Dunloy didn't know the meaning of the word sportsmanship and were deadset against a Derry team playing in the Antrim minor league.  As it happened every other team in the league was all for it, in fact Loughgiel and Cushendall were our biggest supporters.  And just to laugh even more, we actually won the league dropping a single point on the way.  Then we were invited to play in the Antrim Championship and guess what, Dunloy objected.  The coat-trailing supporters that drag their knuckles after the club are another reason why the club is disliked especially in Derry.  there you go, please tell me the neanderthals have evolved and the callouses on the knuckles are healed.   ;)

No No No .....I didn't ask you to tell me about your own prejudices towards Dunloy. Now would you read the question before you answer the next time? I'll ask again shall I?

You said...."I bet you every club in Antrim is shouting for the Derry club today, especially Loughgiel. "
I asked you to elaborate on this and explain to us how you reckon that that would be the case.

Please tell us?

Just on what you have written above, I assume that happened probably 25-30 years ago so I'm sure Dungivens actions in the 1982 fiele most likely made it impossible for Dunloy to offer the hand of friendship to your club at that time. Would you blame us, or are youse still in denial about that one?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Maximus Marillius

Isn't Declean O'Connor from Dungiven...now theres a ref who made sure bellaghy weren't going to win the c'ship....sound familiar owenbeg

Ruairi Og exile

Now wasnt at the match yesterday but if Dungiven were 'sledging' I'm not suprised one bit. After the two matches we had against them that's one of the comments our players said they had never listened to such verbal abuse.There's no ned for it at all. It obviously comes from the managers!!! Glad Dunloy won..congrats to them

theskull1

Quote from: whiskeysteve on October 29, 2007, 12:08:13 PM

If you don't want to see Derry develop as a competitive hurling county thats very small minded and only serves to weaken Ulster and consequently Antrim hurling down the line. More false dawns for many years to come...

Steve, the structures in Derry for hurling are woeful and its getting worse this year. Hasn't the hurling board been dissolved recently? Is it not time hurling men started to fight for their game inside their own county structures rather than focus on what other counties are not doing to help youse?

Last Man

To the Derry lads, yous want to cop yourselves on, Dungiven and Lavey to have always had a reputation of sinking to whatever depths they needed to in an attempt to get a result and yes I to remember the 82 feile final, how KLs got away with that I'll never know. Sportsmanship is substituted with arrogance. You'll have to get your house in order before you come back looking for favours from Antrim.
You need us more than we need you don't forget.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: theskull1 on October 29, 2007, 12:22:50 PM

Steve, the structures in Derry for hurling are woeful and its getting worse this year. Hasn't the hurling board been dissolved recently? Is it not time hurling men started to fight for their game inside their own county structures rather than focus on what other counties are not doing to help youse?

yes they should. but the simple fact of the matter is that there are not enough hurling men about in the county, as a consequence the underage teams are not as plentiful and you have a very small pool of teams that are of good quality (esp. at underage). But they need to compete against other quality teams or all the good work goes stagnant.

Competition breeds success. Our young players benefit by playing antrim sides, more talent comes through, derry teams provide competition for Antrim teams, and we're all better off for it.

I agree with you and nothing I have said has indicated otherwise. Do you agree with me? Should we see Derry sides in the Antrim minor league?

Its not as if yous are 'sorting our house out' as stew so arrogantly put it. We train our teams. We provide gear. Yous just show up for a few underage fixtures FFS.

Last man, where are Antrim in the scheme of things in hurling throughout the country? Nowhere. Worse now than ever. You would have been glad of the Derry teams that won Ulster years back to give the Antrim set up a kick up the arse. How did the U-21's fare this year?

You need competition from your neighbours. All GAA counties need it and those verging on success certainly have it

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Glensman

Some pretty controversial stuff being said boys.

If you're looking at specific incidents which have been raised yes Dick O'Kane reacted foolishly but after severe provocation.
The bullshit about it being a man's game is said over and over again - men don't hit each other with sticks and they certainly don't hit each other in the face with sticks.
What I think was your No.9 Hinphey, who was a class act when he hurled, as the tide was turning in Dunloy's favour swung his stick at a Dunloy player's head in frustration missing by inches. Looking forward to seeing if that one makes the footage tonight.

I enjoyed the game from a slightly biased Antrim supporting perspective. I thought it was a good sign that Dungiven could and should have won the game...that there is fight in Derry hurling yet.
But today a bad taste is being left in my mouth. With the sledging, the cries that Antrim have abandoned you boys and the moaning about the referee (who was not as bad as has been made out) doesn't do you any favours.

Aerlik I was surrounded at the game by folk from other clubs in Antrim (both country and city) who were ALL shouting for Dunloy.

And I would agree with NAG that you could probably count on one hand how many Dunloy players have been sent off in this past 15 years of tough championship hurling.

theskull1

Quote from: whiskeysteve on October 29, 2007, 12:53:16 PM

yes they should. but the simple fact of the matter is that there are not enough hurling men about in the county, as a consequence the underage teams are not as plentiful and you have a very small pool of teams that are of good quality (esp. at underage). But they need to compete against other quality teams or all the good work goes stagnant.

Competition breeds success. Our young players benefit by playing antrim sides, more talent comes through, derry teams provide competition for Antrim teams, and we're all better off for it.

I agree with you and nothing I have said has indicated otherwise. Do you agree with me? Should we see Derry sides in the Antrim minor league?

Its not as if yous are 'sorting our house out' as stew so arrogantly put it. We train our teams. We provide gear. Yous just show up for a few underage fixtures FFS.

Last man, where are Antrim in the scheme of things in hurling throughout the country? Nowhere. Worse now than ever. You would have been glad of the Derry teams that won Ulster years back to give the Antrim set up a kick up the arse. How did the U-21's fare this year?

You need competition from your neighbours. All GAA counties need it and those verging on success certainly have it

My point is that you should focus on getting your own structures in place first. Then and only then, you should have a bit more manners before you come on here looking for Antrim to hand you an olive branch and help with the development of the game in your county because with that arrogance you can stay where you are at.

podge

Quote from: whiskeysteve on October 29, 2007, 12:53:16 PM

Is it not true to say that Dungiven KL's and some other Derry clubs did not enter or withdrew from the Ulster Hurling League?? I am no fan of that league but if the Derry clubs want to come in to the Antrim hurling leagues i think we should expect them to show a certain level of commitment to the game first??  We don;t want them calling games of at the drop of a hat becuase of some poxy big ball game.

The ards clubs are welcome in the Antrim leagues and I know most Antim clubs enjot the challenge they put up.  Good games without petty rivalries.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

If this reported "verbals" is true then Dungiven should be ashamed of themselves, this type of sh*te is all too common now in football and it appears is starting to creep into hurling.

I was not surprised that Dungiven made the game very competitive as they did the same against Cushendall last year and made the game a battle - hurling at this time of the year also lends itself to games becoming battles which I thought suited Dungiven.

The abuse being hurled from the stand was totally out of order but I was wasn't surprised given it was a similar "exhibition" last year at the Ulster final. Fair play to Dunloy were able to grind out a victory after hurling for thier foruth week in a row which wouldn't have been easy given their age profile.

As for the should derry clubs be allowed in the Antrim league debate, I think Loughane's comments about hurling knowledge on Saturday night summed it up for me, collectively hurling people in Ulster need to work together in whatever way possible to improve our standards as that shower down south don't give a sh*t about us bar there usual patronising "keep it going lads" speech.

whiskeysteve

You didnt answer the question I put to you skull.

I have already said that yes, I agree, we should look to our own structures first. But there is a fundamental problem with hurling in our county.

I don't know how familiar you are hurling in Derry. I suppose by the tone of your posts that you care very little. We have 6 senior clubs, 1 intermediate club and 1 junior club, the junior club being the single club that is not a dual one. Maybe we should flick our magic wands and start another several clubs to make a satisfactory structure.

We have to work with what we've got, as do Down.

Now, I'll go over what I said at the outset. We should have Derry minor teams competing in the Antrim leagues. Just show up and play us. Are we looking a cut of your county budget? Are we looking gear provided? Are we looking for your coaches to come manager us?

No. Your remark about us looking an 'olive branch' is just flippant horseshit. Our teams would be coming to play in YOUR league. Do you think that makes you martyrs for Derry hurling? Catch yourself on.

I'd rather think of it as two counties working together for the betterment of the game in Ulster. If the hurling counties work together, optimistically, pooling our underage talents together in meaningful competition, we might get the sport going with a bit of momentum in this province.

Derry would be stronger for it. Down would be stronger for it. Antrim would be stronger for it

Last Man

U21s!!!, one swallow and all that, show me a trend an I'll listen to you. The the county set up is not where it should be and coaching standards have drifted over the last 10 years but that is being addressed. My point is that we in Antrim favour playing the game over gamesmanship, concentrate on the skills and take it from there.