Let's face it, Ireland, we're poor at sports

Started by SuperMac, October 03, 2007, 02:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperMac

Now I know I'm going to hurt a few egos here, but it HAS to be said - we are a weak sports country. This isn't some sort of reaction to the recent debacle in the Rugby World Cup or a sort of self sarcasm at the country. But when you think about it, we are. When we have our noses rubbed in it, we usually come out with the same cliches - " sure were a small country" etc

Right what sports can we hold our own at - horse racing, golf and boxing off the top of my head. I'm not into the horses but if there was a World Cup in horse racing, our jockeys, trainers etc would be up there with the best no doubt. Golf, another sport I haven't much interest in so forgive the ignorance, we produce some good golfers regularily. But like been good at golf is like been good at darts. I mean, it doesn't take any athletic ability, most of them are bit overweight middle aged men. Maybe some will say I shouldn't quantify it like that as I don't play the game, well, it's just my thoughts. The boxers can and always could hold their own, their about the only athletes we can produce who has a decent chance of winning medals at the Olympics, indeed it could be said, they are often the only chance we have of winning a medal at the Olympics.

Now the usual excuse is thrown out, Gaelic games are so populiar here and absorbs people who would be good at other sports, but I remember after the last Olympics reading an article comparing Ireland's Olympic record over the last 50 years or so to one of the nordic countries with a similiar population, Denmark, Norway or Finland, whatever. Lets say it was Denmark. They had won 4 times as many medals as us in the SUMMER olympics. Now as we all know half the year Denmark is under snow and obviously ice sports are extremely populiar. But that's the point, the popularity of winter sports in these countries knocks the Gaelic games excuse on the head.

With the 4 year embarrasement coming around next year, the Olympics, it'll be the same old story. I mean at the last Olympics I am friendly with some Czech lads and they couldn't resist smirking at our hopelessness. Also knew a bloke from Zimbabwe or some 3rd world country in Africa, jokingly had to keep me informed how many medals they had won and ask how was Ireland doing  :-[ :).

And what will be done to improve our woeful participation ? NOTHING. Why ? Because, and it's the cronyism imbedded in Irish society, most of the sports organistation are run by cronies and clicks who'd resent any changes that would have to come about to improve our situation. Fact.So and so coach/trainer couldn't be replaced because he's a buddy/in law/cousin of the President, Secetary etc of the organisation  - and that's how things are run in Ireland. And the border isn't an excuse, the six counties is not gleaming with international medals either. Apart from soccer or one or 2 other minority games, most other sports are an all Ireland basis. And sports such as snooker, motorbike road racing etc, although they are international, their not really world wide sports, their only played with any popularity in a dozen countries or so.

My thoughts anyway, crucify me if ye have to  ;)

full back

Quote from: SuperMac on October 03, 2007, 02:30:07 PM
Now I know I'm going to hurt a few egos here, but it HAS to be said - we are a weak sports country. This isn't some sort of reaction to the recent debacle in the Rugby World Cup or a sort of self sarcasm at the country. But we you think about it, we are. When we have our noses rubbed in it, we usually come out with the same cliches - " sure were a small country" etc

Right what sports can we hold our own at - horse racing, golf and boxing off the top of my head. I'm not into the horses but if there was a World Cup in horse racing, our jockeys, trainers etc would be up there with the best no doubt. Golf, another sport I haven't much interest in so forgive the ignorance, we produce some good golfers regularily. But like been good at golf is like been good at darts. I mean, it doesn't take any athletic ability, most of them are bit overweight middle aged men. Maybe some will same I shouldn't quantify it like that as I don't play the game, well, it's just my thoughts. The boxers can and always could hold their own, their about the only athletes we can produce who has a decent chance of winning medals at the Olympics, indeed it could be said, they are often the only chance we have of winning a medal at the Olympics.

Now the usual excuse is thrown out, Gaelic games are so populiar here and absorbs people who would be good at other sports, but I remember after the last Olympics reading an article comparing Ireland's Olympic record over the last 50 years or so to one of the nordic countries with a similiar population, Denmark, Norway or Finland, whatever. Lets say it was Denmark. They had won 4 times as many medals as us in the SUMMER olympics. Now as we all know half the year Denmark is under snow and obviously ice sports are extremely populiar. But that's the point, the popularity of winter sports in these countries knocks the Gaelic games excuse on the head.

With the 4 year embarrasement coming around next year, the Olympics, it'll be the same old story. I mean at the last Olympics I am friendly with some Czech lads and they couldn't resist smirking at our hopelessness. Also knew a bloke from Zimbabwe or some 3rd world country in Africa, jokingly had to keep me informed how many medals they had won and ask how was Ireland doing  :-[ :).

And what will be done to improve our woeful participation ? NOTHING. Why ? Because, and it's the cronyism imbedded in Irish society, most of the sports organistation are run by cronies and clicks who'd resent any changes that would have to come about to improve our situation. Fact.So and so coach/trainer couldn't be replaced because he's a buddy/in law/cousin of the President, Secetary etc of the organisation  - and that's how things are run in Ireland. And the border isn't an excuse, the six counties is not gleaming with international medals either. Apart from soccer or one or 2 other minority games, most other sports are an all Ireland basis.

My thoughts anyway, crucify me if ye have to  ;)

Supermac,
are you a journalist looking for us to write your weekend column?

SuperMac

No. Just the frustated thoughts of an Irishman who has watched us going from one debacle to another for 30 years or more.

Star Spangler

We have to have realistic expectations.  We have a similar population to the city of Houston.

ziggysego

Quote from: Star Spangler on October 03, 2007, 02:38:31 PM
Let's face it, Ireland, we're poor at sports 

But we've got the best sports in the world
Testing Accessibility

SuperMac

Quote from: Star Spangler on October 03, 2007, 02:38:31 PM
We have to have realistic expectations.  We have a similar population to the city of Houston.

We have to have realistic expectations. We have a similar population to Denmark and they can win 4 times as many medals as us at the Summer Olympics.

amallon

Why should the olympics be the barometer of the strength of Irish sport.  I for one detest the olympics and like most people I know couldn't care less how Ireland do in it. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Gabriel_Hurl

Well, what is the barometer for strength in Irish Sport then?

Soccer?
Rugby?

his holiness nb

Why do we feel the need to compare ourselves with other countries?

Our main sports are our own and are not International. Thats where our finest athletes are.

Ask me holy bollix

heganboy

As long as there's hurling and football I couldn't give much of a shit to be honest. Any win in anything else is a bonus, any beatings of americans (see ryder cup) gives me great ammo in work. Beating the english in anything darts, pole vault whateve gives me a smug grin, sad but true.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Bord na Mona man

The biggest reasons we do so poorly are:

1. The existence of the GAA. Especially as it draws most from the best type of athletes there are. Soccer gets the mal-nourished fast-food reared working class kids. Rugby gets the pampered, softie wealthier types. The GAA gets the hardy round bale-lifting, turf cutting, trench digging lads who know the price of a pound and the value of a hard day's work!

2. Our sports facilities are very poor. At both local grassroots levels and for more elite athletes.

3. The standard of P.E. is very poor or non-existent in schools.

4. We don't have the arrogant winning mentality that other nations have. Compare us to Aussies for example. Boorish and dog ignorant as their sportspeople are, they tend to do better in high pressure situations. Some of our best international sports people, Padraig Harrington, Sonia O'Sullivan, Eamon Coghlan, Ronan O'Gara etc haven't always done themselves justice when the stakes are high.

5. A heavy drinking culture doesn't help matters either.

hoopsaaa

From the Bunker

The reasons are:

Population: We have a population the size of Bradford, and they cannot even provide a Premier League Soccer side.

Political: Split in Country, Makes it harder to squeese the last bit of talent outta the whole country.

Tradition: Many places have little or no tradition in international sports such as Tennis, Hammer throwing, Volleyball.

Culture: We have a happy to be there mentality.

Genetics: Many sports such as sprinting and Basketball do not suit our genetic makeup!

Weather: Does not enhance the get up an go in the average joe soap.

Infastructure: Little or no facilities or coaches.

Puckoon

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 03, 2007, 08:05:47 PM
The reasons are:

Population: We have a population the size of Bradford, and they cannot even provide a Premier League Soccer side.

Political: Split in Country, Makes it harder to squeese the last bit of talent outta the whole country.

Tradition: Many places have little or no tradition in international sports such as Tennis, Hammer throwing, Volleyball.

Genetics: Many sports such as sprinting and Basketball do not suit our genetic makeup!

Population: 293,717 ??? Is there another bradford somewhere with 4million inhabitants?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Puckoon on October 03, 2007, 08:15:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 03, 2007, 08:05:47 PM
The reasons are:

Population: 293,717 ??? Is there another bradford somewhere with 4million inhabitants?

Sorry ment population of the Yorkshire and the Humber region - roughly 5m.