Laser eye surgery

Started by supersarsfields, October 02, 2007, 09:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Just wondering if anyone on the board here has had this done. Thinking about getting it done myself in the near future. Would be great to get rid of the lenses and the glasses.
Anyone any first hand experience of it?

Bensars

Chat to big bird supersarsfields. He has researched it a lot. Think he has it done. Before wedding anyway

thebandit

I got it 2 years ago, best thing I ever done - I'd forget now that I ever wore glasses

supersarsfields

Cheers Bensars. Didn't know he had it done. MArk McCaffery had it done during the summer there as well and said it was a great job. It was kinda him who got me thinking about it.

supersarsfields

Was it in Belfast that you got it done Bandit? What was the name of the company?

thebandit

I got it done in Dublin - Wellington Eye Clinic, I'd say it is cheaper up north though

Hardy

Bandit - a few questions, if you don't mind.

Can it correct both short-sightedness and long-sightedness?

How long is it claimed to last?

Can you repeat it in 10/20 years or whatever when the ould lamps have deteriorated again due to natural decline?

How much?

Dinny Breen

QuoteCan you repeat it in 10/20 years or whatever when the ould lamps have deteriorated again due to natural decline?

She who must be obeyed got hers done in the Mater Private 8 years ago, her surgeon was Dr Michael O'Keefe, he pioneered the surgey in Ireland, they have a tremendous after care service, where the patients are brought back in every two years for a free test, if the eyesight has deterioated they'll correct it free of charge.

She got hers done last year for no charge..
#newbridgeornowhere

balladmaker

QuoteCan it correct both short-sightedness and long-sightedness?

Yes, can correct both, as well as astigmatism.

QuoteHow long is it claimed to last?

How long is a piece of string really.  It all depends how you use your eyes.  Sitting on the gaa board can be detrimental for the eye sight.

Croí na hÉireann

The woman got hers done in Blackrock during the summer, so did her cousin before her, both very impressed with the procedure and the aftercare/lack of need for it. Downside is that the VHI didn't cover it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hardy

Thanks for the info lads.

I gather Vivas are covering it. Maybe I'll join them for a year.

heganboy

Got the eyes done 2 weeks ago and I'm raging I didn't do it years ago. Its like all of a sudden I can see in high definition. Be very choosy about who performs the work, that's the only thing I'd advise. Luckily in new york there's a load to choose from so I went on who had done the sports guys...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

thebandit

Bandit - a few questions, if you don't mind.

Can it correct both short-sightedness and long-sightedness?
Yes, its just a case of enlarging or shrinking the retina to fit I think.

How long is it claimed to last?
Around 20/25 years

Can you repeat it in 10/20 years or whatever when the ould lamps have deteriorated again due to natural decline?
I would imagine so, but at 45/50+ they generally only perform it on one eye, so one eye is suitable for reading and the other for driving!!

Sounds crazy but apparently it works!

How much?
it was 900 euros an eye when I got it done, if anything it would be cheaper now, and cheaper again in the north

thebandit

That O'Keeffe man in the Mater is supposed to be good, but to be honest I haven't heard any bad reports from here.

I heard of a few who got it done abroad who regretted it though.....

Hardy