Shinty

Started by Lamh Dhearg Alba, September 21, 2007, 02:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Great to see that most enthusiastic and versatile of sportsmen and a dual All Ireland winner Markeen Miley getting an International call up.
Best of luck to him and the Ros girleens as well. Hope ye do ye're County proud over there among our Scottish cousins.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Was at the Bught Park today for the senior game, an exciting match. Scotland started well and were getting plenty of low passes into Ross and Whitelaw in the forwards, think it was 7-1 after about 20 minutes. Ireland got a foothold in the game though and Walsh got a real inspirational point and it was back to 8-6 at half time. Second half was dominated by Ireland and they were 11-8 ahead going into the last few minutes. Scotland levelled it but fair play to the Irish they kept going and the full forward got an excellent goal. There was still time for an almighty scramble and Scotland penalty claim but it finished 14-11.
Thought Ireland deserved it and the big lad Johnstone from Down was particularly impressive. He got a nasty facial wound near the end but saw him afterwards and he seemed arite. Walsh showed his class and O' Neill from Cork was named as Sar-Chluicheadar.
Its always a bit of a strange one with the two teams playing different sports but it was close and hard fought and played in a good spirit in the main. It was a bit tousy in the closing stages right enough but the teams seemed to have made up by the time of the presentation and no doubt even more so after the dinner ;D.
Ireland won the womens game 8-0 and the u-21 match 11-10.

mountainboii

Just after watching it on TG4 there, first time seeing a game and it was decent enough. It does seems like the two sports are right on the edge of compatibility though. Was definitely a penalty at the end, unless there's some rule I'm unaware of that allows a keeper to take down a forward without touching the ball  :D

Hardy

I was thoroughly entertained by it and I'm looking forward to next year already. Great to see lads from Meath, Laois, Armagh, Kerry and the like performing very well. Thought it was played in a great spirit as well and a complete contrast to the spitefest that the football equivalent with the Australian boors annually became.

Rossfan

Saw the second half on Scottish BBC and enjoyed it. The last few minutes were hectic and they should have got a penalty.
It was funny listening to the 2 lackadiaisical Scottish commentators continually refer to our big no 8 (Johnston?) as Tommy Walsh. He was the size of about 3 Tommys  :D
I saw later on TG4 that Tommy was given as no 8 on the team lineups on screen.
A c lean sweep for Ireland today winning all 3.
A Láimh ...did Mark Miley feature in the U 21?

laoisgaa

I was at the games, currently in the team hotel. Mark featured for the Under 21's alright - it's fair to say there were very few weak links on the three teams. Superb wins. I'm going to try and get the camogie and u21's games on DVD - so if anyone wants it drop me a PM and i'll see what I can do

Aerlik

LDA, are the girls from Tir Connaill Harps shinty or camogie players?
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Aerlik on October 31, 2009, 10:23:06 PM
LDA, are the girls from Tir Connaill Harps shinty or camogie players?

Both Aerlik. As far as I know there is no camogie league in Scotland so when the Tir Connail Harps club got a womens team together they decided to enter the womens shinty leagues. Think they enter camogie tournaments too when they get the chance.

Thats it on the iplayer now, bit of a stonewall penalty at the end right enough ;D. But the better team won no doubt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nv9n2/Shinty_Hurling_International_2009/

dowling

Catch yourselves on boys!

thejuice

Watching it now, enjoying it. Pity someone couldn't point out to the commentators that Tommy Walsh was number 18.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

the colonel

was up in inverness for the weekend. all 3 games were great and some tough challenges in all games. really ment alot more for the irish lads to get a win this year in the 21's and seniors. plenty of craic was had between all sets of teams
the difference between success and failure is energy

Rossfan

Spotted this while nosing around.
Hope they enjoy the trip and their day in Croke Park.

Glasgow Select International Shinty/Hurling Tour
Shinty players from Meadowburn Primary School (PS), Bishopbriggs (comprimising Gaelic speakers) and St Joseph's PS, Milngavie, supported by Meadowburn Shinty Club and Milngavie and Bearsden Shinty Club are travelling to Northern Ireland to play in a combined rules Shinty/Hurling International match on Saturday 4th September.

Their opponents are a Northern Irish Select hurling team made up of children from Edenbrooke PS and Glenwood PS from the Shankhill Road and St Paul's PS and St Kevin's PS from the Falls Road in Belfast.

The match is part of the Falls-Shankhill Project aimed at encouraging cross community participation in Gaelic sports and challenging sectarianism.

This is a return match with Scotland winning 6 – 3 in Glasgow when the Northern Irish visited in June.

The players and coaches have also been invited to attend the All Ireland Hurling final at Croke Park, Dublin as guests of the GAA.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Was reading about the trip in the paper Rossfan, appears to have been a success.

The Camanachd Cup Final is on tomorrow if anybody is interested, will be live on BBC2 Scotland through Sky from the back of 2. A lot of people were predicting (and hoping for) a Kyles v. Inveraray final before the semi's but it was the old guard of Fort William and Kingussie who made it through. Kingussie actually have a lot of younger lads this year but as always everything will depend on how closely the Fort can keep Ronald Ross in check.

Unlikely however to be anything tomorrow as crazy as this match winning save from the Bailemore Cup final earlier in the summer ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcRwbuSoGyc 

deiseach

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on September 17, 2010, 04:45:27 PM
Was reading about the trip in the paper Rossfan, appears to have been a success.

The Camanachd Cup Final is on tomorrow if anybody is interested, will be live on BBC2 Scotland through Sky from the back of 2. A lot of people were predicting (and hoping for) a Kyles v. Inveraray final before the semi's but it was the old guard of Fort William and Kingussie who made it through. Kingussie actually have a lot of younger lads this year but as always everything will depend on how closely the Fort can keep Ronald Ross in check.

Cheers for the heads-up, might check it out

highking

Does anyone know when trials are on and who is invited to them? Who is manager this season?