Shinty

Started by Lamh Dhearg Alba, September 21, 2007, 02:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Hello again LDA,
I'd be keen to hve a look at that link if you could post, please.  Might even ayjamakate awheen a Scots men, 'gers fans among them, I know over here.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Whitehair

Quote from: the colonel on September 17, 2009, 03:57:02 PM
Quote from: Whitehair on September 17, 2009, 11:21:13 AM
Would there be anywhere on the net you could watch it? A fella i know from my University days in Glasgow, Grant Irvine plays for Kyles. They must have came on well then in the last few years as he'd always said they weren't that hot. Does Ronald Ross play for Fortwilliam?

Whitehair, Grant also a friend of mine, he's the captain of the Kyles team this year. Only got promoted to the Premier Division this year and they are way over achieving with a very young squad this year (and a crowd of their players were on that bus of Rangers supporters who got swine flu at the last game of the SPL season!!)

Aye Colonel sure Grant, RH and myself all started Caley together.

the colonel

Whitehair you've a PM
the difference between success and failure is energy

hurlingspeed

As far as I know Ronald Ross plays for Kingussie...its pronounced even funnier than it looks!!

Rossfan

I presume it's pronounced as in its original Gaidhlig form. The anglicised spelling looks almost as daft as "Mweenish" for Maoinis. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

I was over on Sgaoi, Eilean a Cheo a few years ago and asked the woman in the local shop if there was any chance of seeing a shinty match and the next thing I knew I was on the team bus with the lads going to Glen Urqhart . An unforgettable day from the biscuit tin that made the rounds at half time to the many rounds after the match.   

theskull1

Watched the last 20 minutes..not bad entertainment. Good come back from kyles out of nowhere, but the old hand up front for fortwilliam showed a cool head when it counted
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Rossfan

That Jim Clark must be around for 30 years at this stage  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

the colonel

was a great game. Kyles unlucky to find themselves 3 nil down. Great come back but Jim Clark showed a bit of class at the end. I played against him in a compromise rules game a couple of years ago. was frightening up front as was Ronald Ross.

Kyles have a very young team and look good for the future.

2 keepers, 46 & 47 years old. thats madness!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Here's the link Aerlik http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n0vz5/Shinty_Camanachd_Cup_2008/

Really good game. Thought the game was over at 3-0 but an incredible comeback by Kyles and at that stage they just needed an experienced head in the middle to steady things up and maybe just settle for the extra time. They continued to drive forward though and got caught out by Jim Clark against the run of play. As the colonel said its a young Kyles team and they will be back in the final. A number of the key Fort men are coming to the end of their careers and that might be the last final for a few of them.

the colonel

anyone hear anything about the Ireland squads for the games next weekend in Inverness?

going up myself

laoisgaa

They haven't been announced yet.

I asked Christy Cooney on Monday about it and he said they would be announced during the week - but still nothing stirring.

Heading along myself - it should be good fun - enjoyed the games last year when they were in Kilkenny.

Anyone know how long it takes by train from Inverness to Glasgow?

the colonel

Im going for the weekend, it will be about 2-3 hours by train I would say. I know Neil McManus, Arron Graffin and Barry McFall of Antrim are all in the U21 squad

Lamh Dhearg Alba

The train from Glasgow to Inverness is 3.5 hours. If you want to save some money take the megabus instead. Its not as comfy but it takes the same amount of time and is probably a third at least of the price.

Scotland squad below for what its worth. Pretty much a north select team this year.

Scott MacNeil (Fort William), Jamie Gannon (Skye Camanachd), Norman Campbell (Newtonmore), Scott Campbell (Newtonmore), Ian Macdonald (Bute), Alan Mackenzie (Lochcarron), John Barr (Glenurquhart), Angus Mackay (Lochcarron), Neil Robertson (Fort William), Niall MacPhee (Fort William), Finlay MacRae (Kinlochshiel), Paul MacArthur (Newtonmore), Shaun Nicolson (Lochaber), Ronald Ross (Kingussie), David Chayne (Newtomore), Gary Innes (Fort William, captain), Gilleasbuig MacDonald (Skye Camanachd), Eddie Tembo (Glenurquhart), Hector Whitelaw (Bute, vice-captain), John Stewart (Kilmallie)

the colonel

from gaa.ie

Kilkenny's Tommy Walsh captains the senior Men's team with players from Antrim, Armagh, Carlow, Cork, Derry, Down, Kerry, Kildare, Laois, Meath and Offaly all numbered in the squad.

Barry McFall of Antrim is captain of the U21 side, which also has players from Armagh, Derry, Fermanagh, Kildare, Laois, Mayo, Meath, Roscommon Tyrone and Westmeath on board.

Players from Armagh, Carlow, Cavan, Kildare,  Monaghan, Roscommon, Tyrone, Westmeath and Wicklow all feature on the Irish Women's panel, with Eddie Brady and Ger Moran manning the sidelines as Ireland look to end a run of three successive defeats against their Scottish counterparts.

The women's game begins at 12.15pm and is part of the Homecoming Shinty/Hurling Internationals that also include the U21s Scotland v Ireland Shinty/Hurling fixture (throw-in 10.45am) and the Colmcille Senior Men's International, also between Scotland and Ireland (2.10pm).

The Homecoming Internationals event is supported by EventScotland, Homecoming Scotland, Colmcille, Deuchars, Highland Council and Inverness Common Food Fund.

The Scotland squad, who are supported by Radical Travel, are looking to make it a fourth consecutive victory over the Irish in the annual fixture.  Among the notable additions to the Scottish team this year include Beth MacDonald of Glengarry, winner of the player of the match award at the Valerie Fraser Camanachd Cup Final this year, who is earning her first cap.

GAA President Criostóir Ó Cuana on Friday wished the very best of luck to all players taking part.

Head coach of the Scotland Women's team, George Hay, commented "The Scotland Women's International team have been very successful over the last few years against committed and very skilful Irish teams.

"We are looking forward to what we believe will be another hard fought game with hopefully a positive result for the Scottish team. Women's Shinty has improved considerably since the International series began, increasing numbers of players and the raising of skill levels have been reflected in the largest turnout for the squad trials to date."

Ireland Men's Squad:
Paddy Mullaney (Goalkeeper) - Laois
Joe Bergin - Offaly
Steven Clynch - Meath
Kieran Divilly - Kildare
Shane Dooley - Offaly
John Griffin - Kerry
David Harney - Kildare
Gareth Johnston - Down
Shane Kavanagh - Carlow
David Kirby - Meath
John McIntosh - Antrim
Paul McCormack - Armagh
Sean McCullagh - Derry
Shane O'Neill - Cork
Paddy Richmond - Antrim
John Rogers - Carlow
John Rowney - Laois
Tommy Walsh (Captain) - Kilkenny

Irish U21 Squad:
Eoin Reilly (Goalkeeper) - Laois
Brian Aherne -  Kildare
Ryan Bogue   - Fermanagh
Jimmy Boyle -  Meath
Andrew Collier  - Laois
John Corvan   - Armagh
Arron Graffin -  Antrim
Conor Grogan  - Tyrone
Eoin Madigan -  Mayo
Robbie Jackson  - Westmeath
Aidan Kelly  -  Tyrone
Pauric Keogh -  Meath
Oisin McCloskey -  Derry
Barry McFall (Captain) - Antrim
Neil McManus  - Antrim
Mark Miley  -  Roscommon
Ger Murphy  -  Meath
John Prior -  Laois

Ireland Women's Squad:
Rosie Crowe - Cavan
Lorraine Day - Cavan
Maggie McBride - Cavan
Niamh Connolly - Roscommon
Ann-Marie Doran - Wicklow
Karen Walsh - Wicklow
Pamela Greville - Westmeath
Sandra Greville - Westmeath
Bernie Murray - Armagh
Colette McSorley - Armagh
Roisin McKenna - Monaghan
Sharon McQuillan - Monaghan
Valerie Crean - Carlow
Margaret Coady - Carlow
Roisin O'Connell - Kildare
Niamh Breen - Kidare
Caroline Connaughton - Roscommon
Claire Curley - Roscommon
Aishling Corr - Tyrone

Eddie Brady - Manager
Ger Moran - Manager

Scotland  Women'sSquad:

Elaine Cameron - Glengarry
Yvonne Conaughton - Tir Conaill Harps
Sarah Corrigal - Glengarry
Orla Coughlan - Tir Conaill Harps
Kirsty Deans - Badenoch & Strathspey
Hilda Dooley - Tir Conaill Harps
Katie Drain - Glasgow Mid Argyll
Stephanie Dunstaffnage - Glenorchy
Joanne Gillanders - Glengarry
Marian Holohan - Tir Conaill Harps
Beth MacDonald - Glengarry
Laura MacKay - Glengarry   (Captain)
Fiona Mathie - Tir Conaill Harps
Laura McCafferty - Glasgow Mid Argyll
Kirsten Munro - Glasgow Mid Argyll
Katie Myerscough - Glasgow Mid Argyll
Jane Nicol - Badenoch & Strathspey
Lisa Norman - Glasgow Mid Argyll
Katy Smith - Forth
Elaine Wink - Glengarry

Reserves:
Aisling Gribbon - Tir Conaill Harps
Jeanette McGregor Badenoch & Strathspey

George Hay - Head Coach
James Perlich - Trainer

Notes:

- This year's Scotland v Ireland Shinty/Hurling Internationals take place at Bught Park in Inverness on Saturday 31st October, with the fixtures starting from 10.45am.  Tickets are £10 for adults, £5 for concessions and entry for Under 12s is free.  Tickets are available via http://www.shinty.com/

- The game is being broadcast live on BBC2 Scotland from 2pm.

- TG4 has confirmed that the station will broadcast the Senior Shinty/Hurling International between Ireland and Scotland from Bught Park, Inverness on Saturday afternoon 31 October. The match will be shown in full on a deferred basis with broadcast coverage starting on TG4 at 5pm.