Gambling left Oisin Mc Conville with debts of £100,000

Started by Balboa, September 18, 2007, 11:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 19, 2007, 01:02:44 PM
Outside of my spate with uladh, I agree with Bensars to an extent that this is not a percievd problem associated with the GAA and I think perhaps Oisin has gone one the wrong road.  However, it could be a bigger problem than we realise and I know that other players are into laying big money and there have been accusations of game fixing etc. so maybe there is more to that than it would first appear.

In regards to the side issue, Oisin made his championship debut for Cross in 1993 and I think the Harps beat Cross in the battle of Killeavey that year, in 1994 we were beaten by the Ogs in Keady, when about 4 more of us made our full debuts.  A dire game where Harney scored 3 goals in the first half and the Ogs slowed the game down the whole second half.  I remember it vividlly as a certain Houlie gave me a roasting in midfield on my debut.  In 1995 Mullaghbawn beat us and Oisin was playing that day as well and that was the last defeat in Armagh.

thanks for clearing that up BCB
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Spiritof98

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 19, 2007, 01:02:44 PM
Outside of my spate with uladh, I agree with Bensars to an extent that this is not a percievd problem associated with the GAA and I think perhaps Oisin has gone one the wrong road.  However, it could be a bigger problem than we realise and I know that other players are into laying big money and there have been accusations of game fixing etc. so maybe there is more to that than it would first appear.

In regards to the side issue, Oisin made his championship debut for Cross in 1993 and I think the Harps beat Cross in the battle of Killeavey that year, in 1994 we were beaten by the Ogs in Keady, when about 4 more of us made our full debuts.  A dire game where Harney scored 3 goals in the first half and the Ogs slowed the game down the whole second half.  I remember it vividlly as a certain Houlie gave me a roasting in midfield on my debut.  In 1995 Mullaghbawn beat us and Oisin was playing that day as well and that was the last defeat in Armagh.

Off the topic again, but I was only 11 that day and clearly remember the battle both on and off the field. But I think Cross beat the Harps
I'll go back if Marsdens back

brokencrossbar1

You could be right there Spirit, I know that was his debut in the championship.  Now that I think of it I think Maghery beat us in the semi that year down in the Athletic Grounds and the Clans beat them in the final.

thebandit

Lets be honest, it is not a GAA problem, it is a social problem. Oisin has undeniably got a great story to tell and the book should be a bit different to the usual sort of thing. He wouldn't have been an obvious candidate for a book, but coming at it from a slightly different angle will make it all the more interesting.

Our Nail Loney

I'd love to know the bookies he was punting in though that let him run up these debts

orangeman

GrandMasterFlash

I think it's a great idea, both for a book and as a form of Rehab for Oisin. He's obviously far enough down the road now to talk publicly about it which is good for him. It's an awful affliction, it's independent of age and can strip any man in a very short space of time. It's ignorant of anyone to have a go at anyone who has suffered from this or any other addiction for that matter. I hope he does well out  of it and wish him the best of luck. The admirable thing about him was he didn't let it encroach on his football and always seemed to stay committed and focus. Not easy I'd imagine!

orangeman

Too right Flash- how he kept is focus was amazing - fair play to him.

spiritof91and94

Does McConville have a job now? or even did he in the past?

thebandit

He does drywalling, he's busy at the minute as well.

He worked as a brickie before that, was a Sales rep before that, and he started out as a claims handler.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

bingobus

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 20, 2007, 12:02:22 PM
Did he not run a pub in Monaghan as well???

It was Cavan, Virginia I think. Apparently it was more a case of him putting his name to it and working in it rather than him actually owning it

thebandit

Quote from: bingobus on September 20, 2007, 12:31:50 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 20, 2007, 12:02:22 PM
Did he not run a pub in Monaghan as well???

It was Cavan, Virginia I think. Apparently it was more a case of him putting his name to it and working in it rather than him actually owning it

I forgot about that! That isn't right btw, he was the gaffer

orangeman

armaghniac

QuoteIs that the same as Stonewalling ?

That's Francie's job, not Oisin's!  :P
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B