Tyrone
Monaghan
Meath
Armagh
Derry
Donegal
Sligo

screenexile

God I saw Derry there and clicked it without thinking! Woops!

Going on form from this year Monaghan are the second best team followed by Dublin and then probably Tyrone.

In reality all things considered I'd say it's Dublin although I don't know how much longer this particular Dublin team can keep performing at the limit of their ability without winning anything... Kerry don't even have to perform to their maximum ability to win All Irelands anymore.

Apart from Dublin if Tyrone get all their players back fit again they will be a force to be reckoned with! Derry possibly could go a step further next season while you may forget about anybody in Connacht and then Cork and then Meath.

full back

Monaghan
If Kerry are the best by far Monaghan must be as they ran them closest
The Dubs 3rd best

Bomber2312

Kerry in reality are miles ahead of everyone so much so their second team is prob second best!!!, but on a side note alot of the teams being mentioned are only one season wonders, they have absolutley no consistency over the last number of years, another issue is to whether or not the league matters....

In my opinion
Dublin, Tyrone,  galway, cork, followed by an emerging monaghan, talented derry, inconsistant Donegal and one performance a year Mayo .
Then just below that group Laois, Armagh on a downer,Connacht champions sligo,

marty88

Quote from: Louth Exile on September 17, 2007, 02:06:26 PM
Quote from: marty88 on September 17, 2007, 01:42:54 PM
:)

Based on this years performances, I though the dubs were good. Based on players, Tyrone are on a par with Kerry.

Then Id say Derry, armagh, Mayo, Cork, Donegal would be in a group behind them.

How can you not mention Monaghan in your list here!!!
I gave my vote to Monaghan simply on the basis that they ran Kerry closest, on the evidence of this years championsip the ONLY other teams who will have a chance against Kerry next year are Dubs and Tyrone

I would have my doubts on weather they could reproduce this year. Based on this years performances they were the joint second best team with Dublin.

I hope they can reproduce, but I doubt it. I would loved to be proved wrong as Ulster needs a bit of help!!!
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

whiskeysteve

to be honest Monaghans run this year reminded me of Fermanaghs in 2004, they caught out bigger teams who werent expecting such driven displays. Remember that Fermanagh went out very early the following year - after a revenge hammering from armagh. Their tactics were found out as well

Next year Monaghan may find it a lot tougher from the big guns
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

magpie seanie

Cork thumped Meath who drew with Dublin and caused them plenty of trouble the second day too. Cork were clearly the second best team in the country. The concession of 3 soft goals yesterday doesn't change that.

From the Bunker

LOOK FIRST IS FIRST AND SECOND IS NOWHERE!

Cork were good enough to get to the final, that say what it says about the chasing group.

I have to laugh at the list above

Monaghan beat no-one this year, lost big games to Kerry & Tyrone.
Tyrone lost to an unproven Meath side and have not been at the races for 2 years.
Meath were hammered by Cork and did nothing in the previous last 5 years.
Armagh are in transition and did not win a championship game this year, have been on the slide since 2003.
Derry lost to Monaghan and huffed and puffed against Dublin.
Donegal peaked for the league, fluked a win against Armagh, Hammered by Tyrone, crawled over the line against Leitrim and succumed to Monaghan.
Sligo beat a tired Galway outfit....their AI.

I know the above analysis may be harsh, but starting a discussion such as this to undermine Cork is in the same vain.

marty88

"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

From the Bunker

As for not including Mayo or Galway there are none of the above teams that would like to meet either in championship football ;D

From the Bunker

Quote from: marty88 on September 17, 2007, 03:06:20 PM
Dublin?

Showed excellent potential but still have not reached a AI final!

marty88

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2007, 03:10:04 PM
Dublin?

yea but it was the champs that knocked them out. They then went on to make a laughing stock out of the team you reckon is second best.

From the Bunker

Quote from: marty88 on September 17, 2007, 03:11:48 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2007, 03:10:04 PM
Dublin?

yea but it was the champs that knocked them out. They then went on to make a laughing stock out of the team you reckon is second best.

Ok so Dublin ran Kerry close, so did Cork earlier on in the championship, running a team close counts for nothing a loss is a loss!

screenexile

QuoteAs for not including Mayo or Galway there are none of the above teams that would like to meet either in championship football Grin

As a Derry man I would be happy for us to play all our matches in the CHampionship against Mayo ;)

Pietas

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2007, 03:07:44 PM
As for not including Mayo or Galway there are none of the above teams that would like to meet either in championship football ;D

Patently, on the evidence of this season, neither Mayor nor Galway are the second best team in the country.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Jinxy

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 17, 2007, 03:01:19 PM
Cork thumped Meath who drew with Dublin and caused them plenty of trouble the second day too. Cork were clearly the second best team in the country. The concession of 3 soft goals yesterday doesn't change that.

Cork were thumped by Kerry who only narrowly beat Dublin and Monaghan. Monaghan lost by 1 point to Kerry, yet were beaten in the Ulster final by Tyrone who were subsequently beaten by Meath who previously drew with Dublin! I guess what I'm trying to say is these formlines people are so fond of using are pretty meaningless. If you could pick any team you saw over the summer to go out next weekend and give Kerry a game, who would you give the best chance of success to? I'd have to say Dublin.
If you were any use you'd be playing.