McLaren expelled from 2007 and 2008 F1 seasons

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, September 13, 2007, 04:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.planet-f1.com/

QuoteBreaking news from Paris: McLaren have been excluded from the 2007 and 2008 championships. It remains unclear whether the expulsion relates to both the Drivers' and Constructors' Championships, but it is, either way, the biggest punishment meted out in the history of the sport.

hitzelsperger

fcuk thats all we need now, the brits claiming that hamiltyon is robbed of world title..

spiritof91and94

stpauls

you're jumping the gun there Gab, it says on that site that it was suggested that they should be expelled, but no decision has been made yet!!
personally i don't think the drivers should be punished for something the team have done, unless they were directly involved in it.

Spiritof98

McLaren hit by constructors' ban 

McLaren have been stripped of their points in the 2007 Formula One constructors' championship after the outcome of the 'spygate' row.
The team was also hit with a record $100m (£49.2m) fine but drivers Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso will be allowed to keep their points.

The team must also prove there is no Ferrari 'intellectual property' in its cars next eyar before they can race.

McLaren team chief Ron Dennis is due to speak at a 1915 BST news conference.

Full story to follow

I'll go back if Marsdens back

wrecked_em

i think mclaren should get an extra special forfeit for being such big cheatin' bastards

Tankie

the decision is a joke, its nearly a typical sit on the fence descision. Can nobody every get banned for breaking rules anymore?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Orior

When I heard that McClaren was fined $100 million I thought "thats a big rough, there's still 3 matches left for qualification"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

blast05

QuoteWhen I heard that McClaren was fined $100 million I thought "thats a big rough, there's still 3 matches left for qualification"

Jaysus, nearly as bad as me then. When i read it, i thought it was the FAI that were going to be getting the 100 million, not the FIA. Grand i thought, we'll b able to afford a decent manager now. No so such luck though  :P

Hound

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 14, 2007, 10:13:03 AM
Even Jackie Stewart, who wouldnt really be a huge fan of Ferrari thinks the punishment is strange.
From what I heard from Jackie, he seemed to think the punishment was too severe. And his question "where does the €100 million go?" is a very good one!

The fine is about 25% of a McLaren annual budget. And 100% of the budget of the poorest team on the grid.
Its some money!

And for such a crappy sport. Gimme the motorbikes any day!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on September 13, 2007, 06:57:22 PM
the decision is a joke, its nearly a typical sit on the fence descision. Can nobody every get banned for breaking rules anymore?
I agree it's GAA like in its farce like nature. The stole/spy on other team and they claim it wasn't used .Pull the other one .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 14, 2007, 10:42:50 AM
The finacial end of the punishment is quite severe, but they seem to have let the drivers off scot free. Surely the drivers are the main beneficiaries of this cheating and should share the punishment with the rest of the team.
Apparently the drivers were forced to accept a deal where they were given immunity as long as they spilled the beans on the team. Looks like a complete cop-out, as you say if the team cheated and improved the car then surely it's the drivers that have benefitted.

we are blue... etc

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 14, 2007, 10:42:50 AM
The finacial end of the punishment is quite severe, but they seem to have let the drivers off scot free. Surely the drivers are the main beneficiaries of this cheating and should share the punishment with the rest of the team.
Schumacher was stripped of second place in the championship because of one on-track incident, whereas the McClaren drivers have been benefitting for a couple of years because of the illegal actions of their team, yet they get off. Its a very strange decision which seem to benefit Lewis Hamilton more than anyone else???
I agree with this 5ivetTimes. FIA no more than any professional sporting organisation have their eye on the money and
Hamilton winning the championship would be HUGE for F1. HUGE. He's the "Tiger Woods of F1". He might possibly break F1 in the States. The hype will guarantee revenue from the Brits. He's is the only reason they haven't sanctioned the drivers.

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

gerry

QuoteWhat exactly did they do?

The row centres on McLaren being in possession of a confidential 780-page technical document belonging to Ferrari.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,