Hurling Championship

Started by FTJC, September 10, 2007, 12:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTJC

....I want someone to explain why an open draw championship similiar to the one outlined below would not work:

This is a hypothetical situation...

Munster and Leinster championships played during May & June.

Cork win Munster and Kilkenny win Leinster

As a reward for winning their respective competitions both teams are granted a seeding for the open draw championship to start in July.

Group 1
Kilkenny
Galway
Tipperary
Clare
Dublin
Antrim

Group 2
Cork
Waterford
Limerick
Wexford
Offaly
Laois

Lets say the groups end up the way they are above...

The semi-final line ups would read:
Kilkenny v Waterford
Cork v Galway

The relegation semi finals would read:
Dublin v Laois
Offaly v Antrim

The loser of the relegation final(Laois?) would play the winner of the Christy Ring Cup(Westmeath?) for the right to compete in the following years Liam McCarthy series.

Are people afraid of it because it's so easy, is fair and equal, and gaurantees every team 5 games?

Bacon

That's 5 games plus the Munster & Leinster Championship games? What do you mean by a seeding in the groups?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

GY Joe

Quote from: FTJC on September 10, 2007, 12:17:52 PM
....I want someone to explain why an open draw championship similiar to the one outlined below would not work:

Cork win Munster and Kilkenny win Leinster

As a reward for winning their respective competitions both teams are granted a seeding for the open draw championship to start in July.

Group 1
Kilkenny
Galway
Tipperary
Clare
Dublin
Antrim

Group 2
Cork
Waterford
Limerick
Wexford
Offaly
Laois

Lets say the groups end up the way they are above...

The semi-final line ups would read:
Kilkenny v Waterford
Cork v Galway

The relegation semi finals would read:
Dublin v Laois
Offaly v Antrim

The loser of the relegation final(Laois?) would play the winner of the Christy Ring Cup(Westmeath?) for the right to compete in the following years Liam McCarthy series.

Are people afraid of it because it's so easy, is fair and equal, and gaurantees every team 5 games?

Sure Joe, your preaching to the converted... Its all about Munster, munster, munster.
I had and argument with a wexford man in 1998 that the provincials were holding back a decent AI series. He couldnt see the nose on his face due to the fact that they were still basking in their 96 victory. He said Leinster and the provincials cant be got rid of. He recently changed his tune. That wont happen Munster, but of they keep getting bet by KK in the AL final or Semi. It might. But I doubt it.

Point is, its the Munster traditionalists mind you have to change.. That wont be easy.

the ship

your on all the time about Munster will the leinster teams or kilkenny in particular  give up their all ireland semi final place for the greater good of hurling?

INDIANA

i doubt kilkenny would be bothered either way as they are better than everyone in munster anyway. and the leinster teams would jump at the chance to escape the clutches of kilkenny and at least get a few games a year. Limerick reaching the all-ireland final undelined the mediocrity of the munster championship - think of the variety an open draw would bring.

the ship

tipp v dublin could be played in the outsidefield in thurles thats how much interest they would be in it. we could play offaly in roscrea just so the offaly crowd wouldn't have to come to far, play laois in rathdowney would be something else, only the wexford camogie would give us a game and with  kilkenny, in decline i think we Will stick with the munster championship.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: the ship on September 11, 2007, 10:19:54 AM
tipp v dublin could be played in the outsidefield in thurles thats how much interest they would be in it. we could play offaly in roscrea just so the offaly crowd wouldn't have to come to far, play laois in rathdowney would be something else, only the wexford camogie would give us a game and with  kilkenny, in decline i think we Will stick with the munster championship.

Are you forgetting who knocked you out of the championship this year, and might I add should have won by 10 points! Offaly threw it away against ye also!

KK in decline?????? what world are you living in? go watch some of their club championship games and you will see a very strong championship

the ship

not for one minute am I'm a forgetting that still in counselling, but we are by far a better team than played on that day and while offaly might be on the way back to some extent  i fear for wexford i hope I'm wrong and that day against us was not a once off but  an upward swing please god.

INDIANA

but we are by far a better team than played on that day

problem is tipp fans have bene saying that since the early 90's. Self denial is a wonderful thing!

the ship

did you think of that yourself or did you ring your cousins the life long tipp fans

INDIANA

Self denial is a wonderful thing

darbyo

QuoteI want someone to explain why an open draw championship similiar to the one outlined below would not work:

No problem with the idea of an open draw but why bother with the provincial champiionships at all? It would mean too many games, many of them absolutely meaningless. The problem with the hurling championship is that outside of 6-8 teams the standard really drops. Take Antrtim, Offaly, Dublin and Laois out and have just one group of eight or two groups of four. At least all the teams are reasonably competitive and you reduce the number of pointless games which frees up time for the clubs. Now someone can come on here and pick holes in that as well but that is because whatever system you come up with you'er really just trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

INDIANA

it's even more lob-sided than that.You have :
kilkenny ( amile ahead)
waterford
cork/galway

then you have abig drop in standard to:
limeick- tipp-wexford- clare

then a bigger drop to
dublin /offaly
antrim- laois

people are talking rubbish in relation to a potential decline in kk hurling. Kerry haven't won a minor all-ireland in over a decade but because football is so strong they pick up lads in the back arse of nowhere that never played underage- kilkenny is the same- comerofrd- eddie brennan never hurled minor for the county.
Potentailly dublin should be able to match clare- wexford and limerick in a few years. Tipp could join kilkenny if they sort their structures out but until the likes of Babs and the rest of the county board are put out to pasture they may not harvest their talent. Cork will get back up too kk in a few years- galway should too -waterford however will fall back with retirements. For the likes of dublin or offaly to get anywhere up to the top 3 -could take the guts of  a decade. Antrim need to do themselves a favour and enter the leinster championship.

tayto

Only three kilkenny players on their 2007 team with minor AI medals.

the ship

do you know whats really funny is now that have tipp won 2 all ireland minors back to back all of a sudden winning minors finals is irrelavent, only 2 or 3 years ago kilkenny were winning minor and u21 and it was what a conveyor belt they have, now it does not matter strange really.

as for our friend with the relations in tipp maybe you can enlighten us as to where we are going wrong with our structures.