PPS 14 Unlawful!

Started by T Fearon, September 07, 2007, 11:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

QuoteExecutive Moves to Replace PPS14

After seemingly interminable delays, the NI Executive finally met again on 20th November. We are pleased to report that high on the agenda was the replacement of PPS14, with a policy more in keeping with the needs of country dwellers whilst still ensuring that any development is sustainable for both communities and the countryside.
Details Still to Be Published

The exact of details of the replacement policy which will be known as PPS21, are currently not available however it is likely to be broadly in line with the recommendations made by the planning subcommittee originally chaired by Arlene Foster MLA in April 2008.

The PPS14 campaign welcomes the decision in principle to replace PPS14 as it's long term impact would have been severely detrimental to rural communities as well as the jobs of many small tradesmen and companies who rely on a vibrant rural economy.

I am hearing this morning that PPS 21 has not changed that much. Anyone here have this document yet.

lfdown2

"Where I come from, where people are largely of small farm holdings the only significant change from the original PPS 14 is the name," he said.

minister for env

this quote seems to agree with that, i think it will only be for farmers where farming is the only income as well!

Onion Bag

So basically it isnt worth a f**k then, as someone has said they have just changed the name of it from PPS14 TO PPS21
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

lfdown2

tbrick18

The big argument against PPS14 was that farmers and those who were brought up in the country could not build on their own land or to be more accurate, farmers children could not build on their own land.
If this has been relaxed then I think the new policy should be welcomed. Without the ability for those born and reared in the country to remain there with their families the rural communities would wither and die...and along with that so would a lot of rural GAA teams.
I for one would not be happy with houses being built all over the countryside...it would take away from the natural landscape and would cause environmental problems. I think a happy medium has to be struck...tho the original PPS14 was a disaster for all.

Hank Everlast

Pps 21 seems to be a bit more relaxed with a big plus being the issue over abandonment, making it much easier to get replacements.  It will not be as soft as the rural strategy but a big improvement on PPS14.

Tony Baloney

QuoteThe big argument against PPS14 was that farmers and those who were brought up in the country could not build on their own land or to be more accurate, farmers children could not build on their own land.

My impression was that this isn't true, that only those who could identify a need would be allowed to build a new house.

Onion Bag

Quote from: Hank Everlast on November 21, 2008, 01:23:33 PM
Pps 21 seems to be a bit more relaxed with a big plus being the issue over abandonment, making it much easier to get replacements.  It will not be as soft as the rural strategy but a big improvement on PPS14.

On what grounds can someone qualify to build a house in realtion to living or woking on a farm. do you have to earn your living from the farm?

Hereiam

The small farmer with 10 acres is not going to be allowed to build as this can't be seen as a requirement for his off spring living there. This policy is still going to suit the big farmer who can prove that his son/daughter is required to live on the farm not necessarily to take over the running of it put to help with the running of it as well as have a day job. Thats what I think

Onion Bag

Quote from: Hereiam on November 21, 2008, 02:27:04 PM
The small farmer with 10 acres is not going to be allowed to build as this can't be seen as a requirement for his off spring living there. This policy is still going to suit the big farmer who can prove that his son/daughter is required to live on the farm not necessarily to take over the running of it put to help with the running of it as well as have a day job. Thats what I think

Is 10 acres a official figure, or are you just guessing

Hereiam

Just using it to make the point. I would say that the Planners will still consult with the dept of agriculture with regards to the size of the farm and livestock numbers and to say if it is a workable farm business

johnneycool

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 20, 2008, 01:58:18 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on November 20, 2008, 01:52:06 PM
All joking aside, do you need proper planning permission for something like a mobile home
Unless they've changed it since I worked there, yes, you do.

You also need to get the septic tank passed for the caravan before you can like in it..

tieroan

So tell me this then. Say I am left a farm of 40 acres that has not been farmed for a few years. What is my best way of getting planning as there is nothing on it only an outhouse or 2?

Hereiam

Your best way would be to give me a shout and I could sort it out for you.  ;)

Hank Everlast

Quote from: tieroan on November 21, 2008, 02:58:00 PM
So tell me this then. Say I am left a farm of 40 acres that has not been farmed for a few years. What is my best way of getting planning as there is nothing on it only an outhouse or 2?

The indications so far are that any sort of a shack at all with 4 walls wil be deemed replacement category where as before in pps14 it was not nearly so straight forward to say the least!!!