New Armagh Manager Announced

Started by Sandy Hill, September 05, 2007, 09:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Sandy Hill on September 06, 2007, 01:39:49 PM
Quote from: Orchard Warrior on September 06, 2007, 01:10:36 PM

Obviously the county board have been less than forthcoming with their reasons and the process has been underhand to say the least. McDonnell was the county board's choice many weeks ago and the time taken was an attempt to force grimley into declaring for his cavan job. having called their bluff, the county board had to work overtime justify overlooking Grimley.
John rafferty withdrew the day after the interviews. John had been well informed before hand of the county board's intention to install mcdonnell and the work already don to this end. he turned up to the interview and read a prepared statement, which took the county board apartment for their amateurish methods and their underhand dealings. he answered no questions.

Are we talking facts here or merely speculation?

Sandy, based on Orchard Warrior's previous posts to this board, I would guess "facts".

Orchard Warrior

magpie seanie

Lads - whats the point in electing a county board? Is it to do all the work and make all the decisions that don't interest ye?

Goats Do Shave

Quotehe ulster championship this year was a penalty kick for that u21 team and truth be told they underachieved massively.

You are losing the run of yourself Uladh with that comment!!

Over the Bar

I'd like to wish Peter McDonnell all the best.   And while I'd love to see him run Armagh football back into the grave it was in from 1981-1998, I doubt that will be the case despite the furore his appointment has caused!

mackers

Max, I think all sane Armagh supporters realise what's in front of us. I think we can now expect a few more retirements and more young blood coming in now. I am an optimist and I see further titles out of the new crop of talent but realisitically not for 2/3 years.  I expect us to remain competitive though, and nobody will want to draw us in the first round next year. OTB, I think it's been made clear any furore at his appointment is not anti-McDonnell.

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

orangeman

Anyone been talking to Grimley ?  Might there be a role for him in the set up ??

Over the Bar

QuoteOTB, I think it's been made clear any furore at his appointment is not anti-McDonnell.

No, theres a definite pro-Grimley theme to it!

Donagh

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 06, 2007, 03:19:47 PM
I'd like to wish Peter McDonnell all the best.   And while I'd love to see him run Armagh football back into the grave it was in from 1981-1998

Funny, I seem to remember being at an all-Ireland semi final during those years.

Brick Tamlin

were ye watching Down (Twice) or was it Donegal or Derry? ;D ;D

Donagh

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 06, 2007, 03:58:45 PM
were ye watching Down (Twice) or was it Donegal or Derry? ;D ;D

Unless Colm McKinstry arose from that grave and played for another county, I think we can safely say it was Armagh.

orangeman

Will the elderstatesmen resign ? Mc Geeeny is a Mullaghbawn man - I hope they all stay on - but they all owe Armagh nothing.

seeheartalk

Good luck Peter.

This crack about votes and nominations. Only one club nomianated Big Joe back in 01 and it wasn't his own. Club football will prosper as will the county.

Armamike

Could turn out to be a good choice. McDonnell will bring a freshness to the job and will be familiar to the younger members of the panel.  This should help with the team building that's going to be needed.  If we're going by his record rather than the opinions of ball stool pundits, neither Errigal Ciaran, Mullabawn nor Armagh U21s had a bagful of Ulster titles before he took them on, so he must have something going for him.  Paul Grimley has the experience of operating at the top level and would have been popular with the senior members of the squad. But the Armagh job is not about a popularity contest.  Would Grimley have been cut out for the team building part of the job?  Or is he a better man for directing the well oiled machine?   The Muhammad Ali letters and the Al Pacino lines served their purpose well a few years back when the team was at a certain juncture in its development, but now?  Maybe that's being a bit unfair on Grimley.  As for the touted backroom team of McCartan and Scullion – big names, but big names and 'dream tickets' don't always live up to expectation.

There's a lot of talk here about the selection process. I would like to think that each candidate was given a fair interview and that they were assessed on their merits. None of us here (I assume!) were involved in that process and got to hear what each candidate had to say.  The club voting thing is an irrelevance imo. It should be the county board's job to pick the manager, not delegates by way of a vote.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Orior

Good luck to Peter McDonnell. Bring her home.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians