Skiing

Started by The Claw, September 05, 2007, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Thinking of booking something if I can get the right price - where would be the best/cheapest deal in mid march. Would like somewhere with a god buzz as just the two of us going.

Rois

Quote from: WT4E on January 05, 2017, 11:41:20 AM
Thinking of booking something if I can get the right price - where would be the best/cheapest deal in mid march. Would like somewhere with a god buzz as just the two of us going.
Have you stayed in catered chalets before?  If just the two of you, they are really good for meeting with people over dinner. 

seafoid

The snow is so fragile and when it comes it reminds me of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr3hkNdZ0Ns

seafoid

Tá an sneachta go flúirseach anois

Rois

leenie

I'm heading ski-ing in march to Andorra , I've never been before going with regular skiers but there's another girl going that hasn't been before, so we'll do our lessons together... how many days of lessons do you think we'll need..
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

seafoid

Quote from: leenie on January 10, 2017, 11:17:43 PM
I'm heading ski-ing in march to Andorra , I've never been before going with regular skiers but there's another girl going that hasn't been before, so we'll do our lessons together... how many days of lessons do you think we'll need..
After 3 days of lessons you should be ready to start on a few pistes. You can learn the basics in a week and then it's practice

Last Man

Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2017, 06:49:25 AM
After 3 days of lessons you should be ready to start on a few pistes. You can learn the basics in a week and then it's practice
If both of you can afford a tutor to just look after the 2 of you for 3 or 4 hours a day then 3 days might give you enough of a start. If part of a larger group i'd say do 5 days. Youll be glad of it next year. Park the idea of skiing with your mates, they wont be interested in waiting for you. Unless you dont mind wrecking yourself or taking someone else out.

Rois

Go to group lessons and just go all week.  My first trip was to Andorra and I had a complete ball in ski school.  I met some brilliant people - it was really good fun.  We were in Arinsal and had two fab English instructors.

Private lessons are good for improving but I think at the start, don't make it like a job and put yourself under too much pressure, make it fun and enjoyable. 

(according to my ski instructor, girls learn a little slower than guys at the start of their skiing career, but because they listen and do things at the right pace, they are often better technical skiers by the end of their first set of lessons) 

seafoid

Watch a few ski videos before you go.

Aristo 60

My first and only ski trip was also in Andorra. Day 1 I went all gung ho and scared the sh outta myself. The fear was shortly overtaken by depression at how bad I was and then a feeling of isolation for another day or two as I wandered around the bottom of the slopes and the local shops.

Then took a hour private lesson and for the last few days of the trip never looked back.

That is my skiing history.

WeeDonns

Go to ski school for the 5 days.
My first trip was to Pas de la Casa in Andorra, also in early March & I would definitely recommend it.
When I went, the lessons were over around 2pm, so you can always go and meet up with the rest of your group for a couple of hours.
Its a much bigger resort now than when I went in 2008

Rois

Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 11, 2017, 10:43:47 AM
Day 1 I went all gung ho and scared the sh outta myself.

Q.E.D re: my earlier post about fellas making progress earlier than girls.

leenie

Quote from: WeeDonns on January 11, 2017, 10:47:05 AM
Go to ski school for the 5 days.
My first trip was to Pas de la Casa in Andorra, also in early March & I would definitely recommend it.
When I went, the lessons were over around 2pm, so you can always go and meet up with the rest of your group for a couple of hours.
Its a much bigger resort now than when I went in 2008

That's where I'm going, we are going to head down to the dry ski slopes just to get use to wearing skies but the experts in the group say it's nothing like the real thing but if we learn how to stop it's a big advantage.. is the nightlife good here?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

theskull1

Try to visualize standing on a steep hill facing down. Imagine putting your weight forward and lean down the hill with your feet together ..... your body naturally wants to go back onto its heels to stop itself falling. But this is what you have to do when you ski (lean down the hill) and your brain will have a bit of a time getting over that 'contradiction'. Put your weight forward onto your toes/ball of feet/shins and the back of the skis become light making them easy to change direction/control. Leaning back on the heels puts all the weight on the tails making them really difficult to control at which point a learner can get the heebie geebies. I found once I got over this this brain fart, I was grand confidence wise and progressed well from there.

One on one lessons are worth the money especially on your 1st trip. I'd set aside a few quid that.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera