Richie Bennis and Sour Grapes

Started by seanobrien12, September 04, 2007, 05:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanobrien12

Defeated Limerick hurling boss Richie Bennis says that arguing that Kilkenny are a team "living on the edge" in terms of discipline and that they seem to get the benefit of the doubt from the referee is not sour grapes.

Bennis says copying Kilkenny's modus operandi is the only way to beat the Cats because "they have the talent, always have, but they also have that edge and have it perfected."

"We weren't surprised by the intensity of Kilkenny in the first 10 minutes," said Bennis. "We had prepared the lads for that.

"We know the road Kilkenny have taken for the past two or three years. They're a borderline team, and I stress that - a borderline team. I admire them for that, I aspire to that.

"I would hope to get Limerick hurling to that level of intensity and physicality. But definitely Kilkenny are living on the edge.

"Stephen Lucey got six stitches in his face from a jab with the handle of the hurley early on in the game and young Seamus Hickey had bruised ribs from another jab of a hurley. Little things like that went unseen and unpunished by the referee.

"But then Kilkenny also seem to get the benefit of the doubt from the referee.

"And this is not sour grapes - Kilkenny were by far the better team in Croke Park, there is no doubt whatever about that."

Craigyhill Terror

In the early stages Kilkenny got away with some serious stuff. Especially Eddie Brennan who gubbed both Brian Begley and Seamus Hickey

agorm

Bennis showed himself to be an ungracious winner with his Dan Shanahan statements and now is showing himself to be an ungracious loser.

The ref certainly gave Limerick some dodgy decisions during the game. Kilkenny live on the edge and a number of teams have certainly noted that. Expect next years championship to be even more "competitive".

INDIANA

garbage really -when you consider limerick's antics against waterford.

orangeman

Jesus lads, I'm disappointed in Bennis - in an earlier post I was saying that Limerick took their beating well and made no excuses - but this statment form Bennis is vert disrespectful to KK - Richie had all the neutrals sympathy but this has really shocked me -
The referee tried to make a game of it on Sunday by giving Limerick all that was going - there were some really blatnat fouls on KK men that went unpunished - yes there some on that Limerick should have got as well - but for Richie to come out with this dribble is to say the least very disappointing - I thought there was more in Richie than that -

orangeman

And to add insult to injury he says - ah  but this isn't sour grapes !!!!!!!!! What a laugh ! You're losing it Richie - least said, easiest mended !

bottlethrower7

Bennis isn't the most media-savvy person. He has huge popularity in Limerick because I'd say he is genuinely a nice lad (never met him but thats how he comes across). But he does himself no favours with the types of comments hes been making. He should remember back to '95 when the world and its mother were in love with the Clare hurlers. Then Mr.Loughnane decided the world was against him and started making the most ridiculous of comments (that continue to this day), and the world did turn against him and his charges. The same thing will happen with Limerick. The hurling world is crying out for a saviour to infiltrate the big 2's dominance, and thus will have a lot of tolerance for this kind of stuff. Overdo it, or even if Limerick were to actually win an all-Ireland, and Bennis would quickly become public enemy number 1.

Apparently Richie doesn't have that much to do with how Limerick play in terms of their tactics, etc. I hear Kirby is the brains behind that. Uncle Richie leaves him to it. Not sure who picks the team though.

Fair play to Limerick though. I still think them no better than average but they really set an example of how a resolute, tight-knit bunch can succeed. I don't think theres an all-Ireland in that bunch of players but they did give the people of Limerick an awful lot of good times this summer.

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 05, 2007, 09:44:10 AM
Bennis isn't the most media-savvy person.

I'd agree with that but he should have more cop on than this. kilkenny are a serious side who IMO play the game hard but fair. Proved themselves to be gracious losers and winners over the years, no more than Sunday. Anyway easy to knock those ahead of you, time for the rest of them to put up a serious challenge next year(or shut up).

Maximus Marillius

What do teams expect...to me it is obvious the further you go in a competition the steaks are bigger, the refs are under more pressure and will concede to more aggression...in other words you will get a way with more in an All Ireland semi final or final than any other game...so FFS disk it out.

orangeman

You might not hear from Limerick again given the serious competition in Munster - I hope this is not the case as Limerick showed that the underdog can really uoset the odds at times.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: orangeman on September 05, 2007, 10:19:48 AM
You might not hear from Limerick again given the serious competition in Munster - I hope this is not the case as Limerick showed that the underdog can really uoset the odds at times.

Munster teams need to decide where their priorities are though. Is it the Munster championship or is it the All-Ireland. Winning the former would seem to hinder ones chances of winning the latter. Limerick will at least be in a quarter-final next year given the small number of competitive teams left. So I'd imagine they'll have a long enough summer next year too.

Billys Boots

QuoteEddie Brennan who gubbed both Brian Begley and Seamus Hickey

It was Lucey and Hickey.  Neither of those blows looked intentional to me, especially the Lucey one, looked like a genuine accident.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

tayto

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on September 05, 2007, 09:59:58 AM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 05, 2007, 09:44:10 AM
Bennis isn't the most media-savvy person.

I'd agree with that but he should have more cop on than this. kilkenny are a serious side who IMO play the game hard but fair. Proved themselves to be gracious losers and winners over the years, no more than Sunday. Anyway easy to knock those ahead of you, time for the rest of them to put up a serious challenge next year(or shut up).

Seems like a very likeable fella alright, a lot of people wouldnt have got away with his little jibe about dan not scoring any goals after the waterford match, okay he was excited at the time and probably meant no harm but if someone else had said it there couldhave been an uproar. The above is just nonsense and very ill judged, benis could wind up losing a lot of the neutral sympathy is he keeps this sort of stuff up.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 05, 2007, 10:49:37 AM
QuoteEddie Brennan who gubbed both Brian Begley and Seamus Hickey

It was Lucey and Hickey.  Neither of those blows looked intentional to me, especially the Lucey one, looked like a genuine accident.

I doubt he was trying to get the butt of his hurley through the visor in either instance but there did seem to be intent to make contact with the helmet IMHO, esp the Lucey one.

Quote from: agorm on September 04, 2007, 09:18:42 PMBennis showed himself to be an ungracious winner with his Dan Shanahan statements and now is showing himself to be an ungracious loser.

Ah I think he was just wound up after the game and it just came out like that, I don't think any disrespect was intended. For Limerick to come back enxt year he has to talk up his panel and keep them believing, good management IMHO.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 05, 2007, 11:26:41 AM
Ah I think he was just wound up after the game and it just came out like that, I don't think any disrespect was intended. For Limerick to come back enxt year he has to talk up his panel and keep them believing, good management IMHO.

I don't completely disagree with that. I also think it was a good move for the Limerick management to come out right away and commit to another year. Those lads will be bulling for next season all winter. It was definitely a wise thing to do.