Railway Cup 2007

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, September 02, 2007, 06:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 30, 2007, 11:16:34 PM
Quote from: Tankie on October 30, 2007, 09:09:18 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on October 30, 2007, 06:49:27 PM
Just getting back to an earlier point from Tankie about the other provinces having a terrible support compared to Dublin/Leinster. I see there was 7000 at the Dublin County final. I cant speak for other counties but there was over 11000 at the Tyrone County final, as well as 6000 and 8000 at the semi finals. When you consider the attendances the Dubs get for big games and the population its quite easy to see who has the more genuine fans. As I pointed out above Tyrone actually had a higher average at county home league games (leaving out the croke lights game) than Dublin. Im sure this is repeated in some other counties to. Makes you wonder about the great Dublin supporters that boys like Tankie keep going on about.

what are you talking about. I made the point that the railway cup is dead as people couldnt be bothered going to it.

you mentioned league attendances and you conveniently leave out the game under lights, two leagues have been advertised properly in Dublin since 2002, Dublin v Armagh (55k turned up), Dublin v Tyrone (82k turned up). at the league games in general between 8k - 10k is the normal for a home game but i have agued the point that the GAA needs to promote Dublin league games as and we have already seem what can turn out. In yearly average Dublin have the biggest attendance, i really don't buy into the real supporter idea, Yes i go to all dublin games, but the notion that everyone will do that is crazy. I said it before and got shot down for it, when i said the Dulin market is competitive for peoples money and the GAA should play their cards right.

This Friday the will be 15k - 20k at the Leinster v Connacht interpro, its widely known that the GAA have the summer market sown up in Dublin for peoples sporting attention but for the winter game rugby is making huge in roads but its still up for grabs!

Y'see, real fans don't need to see an advertisement on the TV or hear it on the radio to know that their team are playing!
:P

well on that logic GAA aint as big as we like to claim, since the attendances in the league are probably at an average of 7k across the boards for Football, maybe lower for hurling. I guess Rugby has more real fans than GAA!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Just getting back to an earlier point from Tankie about the other provinces having a terrible support compared to Dublin/Leinster. I see there was 7000 at the Dublin County final. I cant speak for other counties but there was over 11000 at the Tyrone County final, as well as 6000 and 8000 at the semi finals. When you consider the attendances the Dubs get for big games and the population its quite easy to see who has the more genuine fans. As I pointed out above Tyrone actually had a higher average at county home league games (leaving out the croke lights game) than Dublin. Im sure this is repeated in some other counties to. Makes you wonder about the great Dublin supporters that boys like Tankie keep going on about.

what are you talking about. I made the point that the railway cup is dead as people couldnt be bothered going to it.

you mentioned league attendances and you conveniently leave out the game under lights, two leagues have been advertised properly in Dublin since 2002, Dublin v Armagh (55k turned up), Dublin v Tyrone (82k turned up). at the league games in general between 8k - 10k is the normal for a home game but i have agued the point that the GAA needs to promote Dublin league games as and we have already seem what can turn out. In yearly average Dublin have the biggest attendance, i really don't buy into the real supporter idea, Yes i go to all dublin games, but the notion that everyone will do that is crazy. I said it before and got shot down for it, when i said the Dulin market is competitive for peoples money and the GAA should play their cards right.

This Friday the will be 15k - 20k at the Leinster v Connacht interpro, its widely known that the GAA have the summer market sown up in Dublin for peoples sporting attention but for the winter game rugby is making huge in roads but its still up for grabs!

Y'see, real fans don't need to see an advertisement on the TV or hear it on the radio to know that their team are playing!
And real fans apparently don't need to turn up to league games either. Can you tell me you got this figure for average attendance at league games? And by the way your the one who keeps talking about the great Dublin supporters , i believe tankie made the fair point that 10,000 out of 3 province is a poor attendance and someone done the typical whataboutye defence.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tankie on October 31, 2007, 07:51:16 AM

well on that logic GAA aint as big as we like to claim, since the attendances in the league are probably at an average of 7k across the boards for Football, maybe lower for hurling. I guess Rugby has more real fans than GAA!
Not really compaing like with like though - there's only 4 teams in irish rugby pulling those crowds - the provinces. Rugby doesn't have 32 counties to share the crowd between. GAA still miles ahead, even in the winter.
If Ulster played Leinster in Rugby, there's be a maximum 12,000 at Ravenhill or whatever capacity is for Leinster. Wouldn't compare to the cumulative total of GAA supporters from counties in those provinces at league games.

GalwayBayBoy

My own view on the interprovincials? Get rid of them. Personally I have zero interest in the concept and seemingly neither do most people. Even GAA fans.

For competitions like these to succeed people have to care about and feel ownership of the teams involved and they just don't. You can't make people care about their province. They'll care about their club and their county alright but as far as province goes while people might like to see their own province win but they won't be too bothered if they don't. Hence nobody can be arsed going to the games.

Tyrone Dreamer

Tankie did say about 10,000 being a terrrible attendancce and how bad the other provinces supporters were gnevin. He neglected however to point out that 10 times as many attrended the semi final that leinster werent in compared to the one that they were in.

gaagaa

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 31, 2007, 08:04:53 PM
My own view on the interprovincials? Get rid of them. Personally I have zero interest in the concept and seemingly neither do most people. Even GAA fans.

its about the players ::)

Maguire01

QuoteInter-pros get TV boost
31 October 2007

The Inter-provincial championships have received a much-needed boost with confirmation that last Saturday's finals at Croke Park were watched by over 200,000 people on RTE Two.

The future of the once great competition was once again called into question after just 10,127 paid through the turnstiles to watch the cream of football and hurling battle it out for Inter-provincial honours on Saturday evening. But GAA chiefs are certain to be thrilled with the television viewership figures which peaked at 245,000.

RTE Head of Sport Glen Killane said: "We are really, really delighted with the figures. It just goes to show how we can contribute to the growth of the less high-profile GAA events."

And following the success of last Saturday's screening, Killane admitted that RTE would be very interested in covering the Inter-pros again next year.

"We would be supportive of any new initiatives the GAA would have regarding the Inter-provincial series
."

So it looks like some do care.

Tankie

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 31, 2007, 11:01:56 PM
QuoteInter-pros get TV boost
31 October 2007

The Inter-provincial championships have received a much-needed boost with confirmation that last Saturday's finals at Croke Park were watched by over 200,000 people on RTE Two.

The future of the once great competition was once again called into question after just 10,127 paid through the turnstiles to watch the cream of football and hurling battle it out for Inter-provincial honours on Saturday evening. But GAA chiefs are certain to be thrilled with the television viewership figures which peaked at 245,000.

RTE Head of Sport Glen Killane said: "We are really, really delighted with the figures. It just goes to show how we can contribute to the growth of the less high-profile GAA events."

And following the success of last Saturday's screening, Killane admitted that RTE would be very interested in covering the Inter-pros again next year.

"We would be supportive of any new initiatives the GAA would have regarding the Inter-provincial series
."

So it looks like some do care.

but not enough to go to the game!
Grand Slam Saturday!

orangeman

Market it properly for God's sake !

marty88

The important thing out of this competition is the fact that ulster won, we're superior to the rest of ye.
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

Gnevin

Quote from: marty88 on November 01, 2007, 08:43:06 AM
The important thing out of this competition is the fact that ulster won, we're superior to the rest of ye.......
in a competition no one cares about
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.