Railway Cup 2007

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, September 02, 2007, 06:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darbyo

Not sure about the whole tourist aspect of day. Croke Park can be a cold, wet miserable experience in March, I'd doubt that many tourists would stay too long for what the interpro's often serve up and the club finals for people who don't know the rules can be hit and miss also.
              On top of that I'm sure there's many a club manger who'd be less than pleased to have bands and inter-county players floating around on the biggest day in the clubs history, while his trying to focus club players.
               Sometimes things just pas their sell by date and the Railway cup/interprovincals is one of them.

bennydorano

Having it on TV certainly didn't help the crowd in CP, have the TV figures been released? Surely this would show a more realistic level of the public's interest.  I'm a big fan of the Railway cup, Micky Harte et all are right in that we should be scrapping the International Rules and pushing this bigtime.

orangeman

Maybe the GAA want it scrapped - is that why it's not being marketed properly ?

Main Street

QuoteAnd any crowd in Croke Park less than 40,000 creates an adverse image of GAA - strange but true

I wouldn't be so insecure about the GAA image.

I just watched the games on TV.
It gave me a chance to see Benny Coulter and I'd almost forgotten about Stephen O'Donnell :)
I wanted my county players to do well and wanted to see the best of the other counties.
The game was good and competitive enough.
Haven't a clue if it will gather more interest, it doesn't look dead to me just yet.
I'm a bit lost in today's age of hype and marketing.

I always love good flowing football, possibly more subs on the fly and a less pedantic ref might help.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good 2nd half from the Ulster lads, and well worth their victory. Sure aren't the Kerry contingent on the Munster team well used to being beaten by a team captained by a Tyrone lad in Croke at this stage  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

magickingdom

Quote from: Jinxy on October 29, 2007, 12:34:59 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2007, 11:59:09 PM
Hold on, if you have 4 games, that means sitting there for 5/6 hours. Add in this "entertainment", how long do you want this show to go on?

not gone on the idea of moving the inter pros to St Patricks day, there more an end of season reward. the gaa could set them up as all star games with each provincial player getting an all star selection on to that team ie pick a team of all stars from each province and then let the four provinces play off and pick the overall all stars, this obiviously would have to be at the end of the season. thus you'd have the club finals on st patricks w/e marking the end of the club season and kinda starting of the intercounty season and the inter pros on the october w/e marking the end of it...

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2007, 09:55:14 PM

It was 10,127.

Isnt it amazing all the same -10,000 at a not too serious final at the back end of the year and we're all embarrassed.
The FAI Cup Semi Final yeasterday UCD v Longford looked to have about 1,500 at it and no mention anywhere about the size of the crowd - only mention of the fans was Longford Manager Matthews talking about the great supporters hos club has. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on October 29, 2007, 04:01:02 PM

It was 10,127.

Isnt it amazing all the same -10,000 at a not too serious final at the back end of the year and we're all embarrassed.
The FAI Cup SemiFinal yeasterday UCD v Longford looked to have abot 1,500 at it and no mention anywhere about the size of the crowd - only mention of the fans was Longford Manager Matthews talking about the great supporters hos club has. ::)
Well their is a section of people on here and around  Ireland who love shouting about how the their was only 2 dubs at a league game back in 1967 and hence the Dub's are all bandwagon fans
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

clarshack

could they not play all 3 club finals (junior, intermediate & senior) on the one day with the intermediate & senior finals under lights. this would free up st. patricks day for the railway cup and a crowd of 40,000 would be guaranteed.

Gnevin

Quote from: clarshack on October 29, 2007, 04:16:19 PM
could they not play all 3 club finals (junior, intermediate & senior) on the one day with the intermediate & senior finals under lights. this would free up st. patricks day for the railway cup and a crowd of 40,000 would be guaranteed.
No it wouldn't , why would changing the date make any difference. This is a GAA board and i reckon about 3 lads from this board went to the match . Total lack of interest
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Rossfan

Quote from: clarshack on October 29, 2007, 04:16:19 PM
would free up st. patricks day for the railway cup and a crowd of 40,000 would be guaranteed.
Guaranteed  :o  no less  ::). I have my doubts me good man.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on October 29, 2007, 04:01:02 PM

It was 10,127.

The FAI Cup Semi Final yeasterday UCD v Longford looked to have about 1,500 at it and no mention anywhere about the size of the crowd - only mention of the fans was Longford Manager Matthews talking about the great supporters hos club has. ::)

In fairness those two clubs are the least supported in the Eircom league. UCD having practically no fan base at all as effectively they are a college team.

Rossfan

There seemed to be plenty of empty seats at the Bohemians/Cork City game too.
Would it be correct to assume that the Railway Finals drew the largest crowd to any sporting event in Ireland this weekend?

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on October 29, 2007, 05:18:46 PM
Would it be correct to assume that the Railway Finals drew the largest crowd to any sporting event in Ireland this weekend?
I'd say Leinster v Ulster drew a bigger crowd

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on October 29, 2007, 06:15:04 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 29, 2007, 05:18:46 PM
I'd say Leinster v Ulster drew a bigger crowd

Yep and this week Leinster are playing connacht with 15k sold already.
Grand Slam Saturday!