What I love about All-Ireland Sunday

Started by Barney, September 01, 2007, 09:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john mcgill

Usually go down on Friday night and meet up with the people from a team I was involved with in London and a prominent Armagh club who always get together on the third weekend in September.  Drink too much beer and reminisce.  This year will be joined by some Dr Crokes people and lads from a club in the US.  Go to the Kilmacud Sevens and see a lot of the legends doing the same as I'm doing.  Back to the hotel and drink too much beer (by the way that's three pints for me now).  Up on the Sunday morning, Mass and hold the breath when I go up for communion.  Meet up with people in corners and furtively discuss tickets, at my age they take pity on me and swap my Hill 16 ticket for a seat.
Go to the match, cheer for the underdog, usually disappointed, drive up the road depressed that the evenings have become too short, winter is coming in fast and there are no more Sundays in the sun until next year.
God I love GAA

agorm

What I remember is as a child getting the All-Ireland supplement on the Sunday Independent.It was an additional front and bach page to the paper done in full colour with team photos etc. It really identified the day as unique in the calendar.

his holiness nb

Quote from: wesaysanchez on September 02, 2007, 11:33:21 AM
waching soccer.

Man you are missing out.

I was told a few years back not to have sex with the missus on All Ireland Sunday, its blasphemous!
Ask me holy bollix

tayto

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 02, 2007, 12:13:01 AM
Waving at the Kilkenny fans if they lose driving home thru Durrow  :D
We hate the Cats in Durrow

Do yez like anyone only yerselves!  :P

southdown

From a County Down perspective, I can remember being in Croker for Down winning Sam in '91 and '94.  I wasn't that old in 91 but I was old enough to clearly remember '94.

What I remember best was the journey home.  Coming home after winning Sam is simply amazing.  Back then there was no M1 motorway, you went home by the "old road" through all the wee towns between Dublin and Dundalk such as Balbriggan, Drogheda Castlebellingham etc.  In every town you went through the reception by the locals was amazing, the locals would line the footpaths waving Down flags that people had thrown from the cars going through.  Totally amazing.  And in Drogheda there was a Convent along the main river and the Nuns were always out waving at the cars going through.  I remember in 91 all the lampposts in Drogheda were painted red and black!  Then the journey coming into Newry, down the hill on the Dublin Road was something else.  We would always have stopped somewhere for a bite to eat on the way home, maybe the Monsterboyce or the Carrickdae.  After the 94 semi final win over Cork we were in the Rosnaree and my Dad introduced me to Ross Carr and DJ Kane.  As an 11 year old boy, this was an amazing moment!

The the next night was the homecoming.  I remember being in Newry on the Monday night after the final in 91 and the crowd was simply huge. Then we followed them to Ballymartin the next night, then onto kilkell where amazingly the bus got bricked by the Prods!

Then there was the visit to the schools by the team where you got to actually hold Sam which was amazing.  Even the last timeTyrone won Sam I got to hold for a few minutes in Jordanstown where one of the Tyrone players had it up, it's just amazing to be holding such a treasured trophy.

Thats just my own personal experience.  would be great to hear from some fellow Down mens experiences, especially anyone who was there in the 60's.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: stew on September 01, 2007, 03:22:07 PM
then the next morning get a irish breakfast and settle in to watch the game on the big screen and support the Ulster team if there is one involved  or the underdog and then we head home.
So I imagine if, say, Sligo played Kerry in the final, you would support us then?

Aerlik

The '93 semi and Johnny McGurk's  point and the trip back to Preston on the Dun Laoghaire to Liverpool ferry with the dejected Dubs fans...the trip back a few weeks later and meeting up with the family and cousins for a few before the game.  The parade and seeing the lads you were in class with about to finally do it for Derry.  Streaming on to the pitch at the end and hearing Henry's speech.  The craic in Dublin that night with wans from all over Ireland.  Scoring with a quare one from God-knows where that night too.  Making my way back to Derry with another Kilrea lad in a car full of Ardboe wans, and them roaring as we went through every town where we were cheered, as if Tyrone had won...and then Maghera and that night.  Ah bliss. Then despite the UVF threats proudly hoisting the red and white flag on the telegraph pole on the lane and one on the shed for all to see.

Being overseas and ringing home at all hours to find out who won and then as tonight, sitting in the middle of nowhere depending on you lads to keep the scores coming through.   

Wishing Derry was a hurling force.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Farrandeelin

Hard to pinpoint it exactly but there's always a buzz in anticipation of the game. Wishing to be successful or hoping the game takes on a life of its own.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

parttimeexile

All Ireland Sunday is a very special day. From the slight hangover in the morning, which would normally feel worse only its all ireland day to getting a bite to eat(usually a fry up) and then walking up towards croke park. The crowd at quinns and the banter between the two counties. No matter what anemosity there has been before this the craic is really good and everyone is out for a good day. Seeing the boys stumbling about that have started drinking too early or havent stopped drinking. Then walking to croke park and the butterflies in the stomach are making me feel like I am experiencing turbulence. Sitting watching the minor game enjoyng it but just really nervous about the senior game. Its some day!