What I love about All-Ireland Sunday

Started by Barney, September 01, 2007, 09:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Come on lads even a Mayo man loves the whole occasion!

haveaharp

Quote from: Barney on September 01, 2007, 09:14:36 AM
Come on lads even a Mayo man loves the whole occasion!

Climbing up onto the roof of the house to fix the aerial so we could get rid of the snow on rte wasn't one of the highlights.

orangeman

The buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz outside Quinns  !

Shamrock Shore

As a nipper always looked fwd to being Eddie Keher or Liam 'Chunky' O'Brien after the game out in the back field.

Was nealry always in the aunts for the football in the 70s if I wasn't at the game. She was posh cos she had a colour telly when we barely had a black and white one!

Kerry Mike

What I love about All-Ireland Sunday.......Winning Sam :P
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magickingdom

nearly always stay in dublin the sunday night if kerry are in the all ireland. i love the hour/hour and a half after the match hanging around croker as the place empties and taking it all in, the whole season is done and dusted then. think its great..

the Deel Rover

Quote from: magickingdom on September 01, 2007, 12:32:11 PM
nearly always stay in dublin the sunday night if kerry are in the all ireland. i love the hour/hour and a half after the match hanging around croker as the place empties and taking it all in, the whole season is done and dusted then. think its great..

funny enough magickingdom i can't get out of the place fast enough >:(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

From the Bunker

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 01, 2007, 02:19:22 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on September 01, 2007, 12:32:11 PM

funny enough magickingdom i can't get out of the place fast enough >:(

Yeah, i also have had the same experience, strange that!

stew

Flying home for AI finales. Going to the 02 final and enjoying every second of the day up until the hour before the minor match, then nerves kicked in and i didnt think I would make it into to park I was that hyped up.

Sitting in Croker in awe at it's splendor and thinking back to the times I have sat in this stadium with relatives, die hard fans all some of whom are sadly gone and sitting back and drinking in the atmosphere and colour that makes this the most special of days.

Watching your heroes play the shirts of their backs against the greatest foe they have ever faced and despite much adversity in the first half go on to win the AI for the first time ever.

I remember tears, thoughts for those who never lived to see this day and absolute joy, more tears and then shock sat in on the way home.

The people lining the streets from Dublin to Armagh to share in our joy and then arrival in the City to see thousands upon thousands going mental on the streets celebrating.

Straight down to the club where you could hardly move and the game was on again and I got to relive the game again and the pints of black are flowing like water. Nobody seems to believe that we won it, we did.

In 03 I was excited and had 2 tickets but gave them to my brother in law who had followed Tyrone all year and not missed a game, I had a bad feling about this game and so it proved. I remember being angry at the end not because we lost but because of the way we lost but nothing was ever going to touch 02, nothing will ever come close again  for me.

For AIF we are not involved in I usually head down to Chicago to Gaelic Park and make a weekend out of it, take in a baseball game and head out for a nice steak and a few pints and then the next morning get a irish breakfast and settle in to watch the game on the big screen and support the Ulster team if there is one involved  or the underdog and then we head home.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

donegal gael

the anticipation and tension the last 20 mins before the game.. the coulour and noise when both teams run out onto the field

we are blue... etc

Me ma dishing up the dinner and saying "what's your man saying" the whole way through the minor match.

The Real Laoislad

Waving at the Kilkenny fans if they lose driving home thru Durrow  :D
We hate the Cats in Durrow
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on September 02, 2007, 12:14:48 AM
QuoteWe hate the Cats in Durrow
The sneaky wee bastards.

Durrow is only yards from the Kilkenny border we hate them Kilkenny feckers
You'll Never Walk Alone.

darbyo

My own county hasn't been in an AI in my lifetime but I've been to most of the hurling and all of the football finals over the past 10 - 15 years, there the best days of the year, no contest. When your part of All-Ireland day you know your part of something very unique.

Tyrones own

For me, i think it's the flying home for the weekend and running into lads that i haven't seen
for years, school days etc, of course it helps when Tyrone are in the Final.
The atmosphere in Dublin is 2nd to none on AIF day.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann