GAA ALLSTARS 2007 ????

Started by SLIGONIAN, August 31, 2007, 03:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

QuoteOK - let's be realistic - there will be no Sligo All Star - yes we won Connaught but what followed buried any chances - maybe a few nominations but no ultimate prize. Same for Tyrone.

Prepared to bet on that?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 31, 2007, 03:36:48 PM
but cavanagh was brilliant against meath i thought, so fast.

Played some inspirational stuff against Monaghan too, would be a contender for the team (as would Dooher) but the only Tyrone man who should be assured of a place is Conor Gormley. Donncha O' Connor was superb in the Cork - Meath game and if he was to produce again against Kerry he would be a strong contender.

BallyhaiseMan

1.Brendan Murphy
2.Marc O Se
3.Kevin McCloy
4.David Henry
5.Tomas O Se
6.Conor Gormley
7.Gary McQuaid
8.Nicholas Murphy
9.Daragh O Se
10.Declan O Sullivan
11.Alan Brogan
12.Stephen Brey
13.Colm Cooper
14.Paddy Bradley
15.Thomas Freeman

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 31, 2007, 10:25:22 PM
1.Brendan Murphy
2.Marc O Se
3.Kevin McCloy
4.David Henry
5.Tomas O Se
6.Conor Gormley
7.Gary McQuaid
8.Nicholas Murphy
9.Daragh O Se
10.Declan O Sullivan
11.Alan Brogan
12.Stephen Brey
13.Colm Cooper
14.Paddy Bradley
15.Thomas Freeman
those 6 forwards will never happen for the all-star selection although id agree with your selection with the exception of brogan. i mean theres no cork forward in sight there. if donncha o'connor has a decent final he'll get one

Rav67

Obviously a lot of weight is given to good AI final performances but some positions are a dead cert, I'd say it'll be something like this

1. Alan Quirke
2. Ross Donovan
3. Kevin McCloy
4. Marc O'Se
5. Noel O'Leary
6. Conor Gormley
7. Tomas O'Se
8. Nicholas Murphy
9. Ciaran Whelan
10. Declan O'Sullivan
11. Alan Brogan
12. Donnacha O'Connor
13. Colm Cooper
14. Paddy Bradley
15. Tommy Freeman

Murphy or O'Sullivan for Player of the Year.

donegal gael

brendan murphy

ross donovan
graham canty
marc o'se
tomas o'se
conor gormley
gary mc quaid

nicloas murphy
sean cavanagh

declean o'sullivan
alan brogan
stephen bray
colm cooper
paddy bradley
tommy freeman

paddypastit

1. Cluxton (Quirke blew it big time today, D Murphy had nothing to do and can't be an All Star again just for being on the Kerry team, B Murphy made good saves for Meath but is limited.  Cluxton despite his moment of madness vs. Kerry was still the best all round goalkeeper that played to the business end of the season - straight call between him and the Meath man)

2. M O'Se - no argument

3. K McCloy - not a vintage year for FB play.  Only Fay really sticks out as a contender

4. Most likely Griffin or Henry from Dublin - numerous shouts for C Gormley but Dublin's CBs were two of the strongest parts of a team that was a kick of a ball away from the AIF, one of them will get the shout - Henry probably deserves it most, even if he usually plays on the right.

5. T O'Se

6. A Moyles - Meath's most influential player - they wouldn't have been in a Q/F, never mind a Q/F but for him. They will get one and this is it

7. Cahill - grew with every game.

8 & 9. One of the hardest to call.  Two from Whelan, Murphy or D O'Se. Up to today Murphy was in pole but true stars don't disappear on the big day and he was so bad that he may drop away completely as McGarrity did a year ago. In contrast both O'Se and Whelan were the driving forces behind the better times for their respective teams in every game they played.

10. Declan O'Sullivan

11. Hmmm.  Seems to be a lot of shouts for Alan Brogan but I didn't think he was even the best in his own house this year - never mind across all football.  Not a whole pile of stunningly effective CHFs this year so we could see some jockeying around to fit people in - particularly when O'Sullivan played with 11 on his back today

12. Same as 11 for me - O'Sullivan was the outstanding HF of the season.  A number of others were good, even very good, once or twice but not consistently - Dooher, Brosnan, the two Brogans, Pierce O'Neill, Nicky Joyce, O'Connor

13. Cooper

14. Donaghy - his AIF performance makes him a cert.  Bradley might get accommodated elsewhere

15. Freeman
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

I know he wont get one but Sligofans all agree Ross Donovan was outstanding this year. The only reason he wont get is people who havnt seen Sligo play wont think of him and hes not from a Big county. Sad but true, Its nice all the same that some guys here are selecting him. Im not from his club but really he was outsatnding along with our full backline harrison and mcguire. Its just a pity it doesnt get the profile.

On another issue is it true the P Bradley never got an allstar yet? He definitly deserves one.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

whiskeysteve

If paddy played for dublin hed have a few by now all right
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Estimator

Football All-Stars nominations revealed
Wednesday, 26 September 2007 18:15
Back-to-back All-Ireland SFC champions Kerry have topped the list of nominations for the Vodafone GAA All-Star awards for 2007 which were announced this evening.

The O Sé brothers Marc, Tomas and Darragh, are among the ten players nominated from Pat O Shea's Kerry side. Both Marc and Darragh received All-Stars last year while Tomas was picked on the half-back line of the 2005 selection.

Meanwhile, two other sets of brothers have also been nominated with Monaghan duo Damien and Tommy Freeman in contention as are Alan and Bernard Brogan of Dublin.

The Farney county's progress in the All-Ireland series and positive displays in Ulster, where they were beaten by Tyrone in the final, have earned Seamus McEnaney's side two other nominations with defenders Dessie Mone and Gary McQuaid also in contention for awards.

It is Monaghan's highest representation in the All-Star nominations since they won the league in the 1980s. Dublin received the second highest number for nominations with goalkeeper Stephen Cluxton searching for his third All-Star, having won the coveted award last year and also in 2002.

Connacht champions Sligo have received two nominations, both in defence, with Ross Donovan and Michael McNamara both searching for their first honour.

Ironically, Sligo's 2002 All-Star and goal-scorer in the Connacht final Eamonn O'Hara is not in contention for an award. Ulster winners Tyrone received three nominations - Conor Gormley, Sean Cavanagh and Raymond Mulgrew.

A total of nine of last year's Vodafone All-Stars have been nominated again for football awards. Along with Cluxton, Alan Brogan and the two O Sé brothers, Karl Lacey (Donegal), Aidan O'Mahony (Kerry), Nicholas Murphy (Cork), Paul Galvin (Kerry) and Kieran Donaghy (Kerry) are all in contention for awards again this year.

The county breakdown is: Kerry (10), Dublin (7), Cork (6), Meath (6), Monaghan (4), Tyrone (3), Derry (3), Sligo (2), Galway (1), Donegal (1), Louth (1), Kildare (1).

The Vodafone GAA All-Stars Hurling nominees will be announced tomorrow.

The Vodafone GAA All-Stars Football nominees for 2007:

Goalkeepers: Stephen Cluxton (Dublin); Brendan Murphy (Meath); Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry).

Full-backs: Marc O'Se (Kerry); Kevin McCloy (Derry); Graham Canty (Cork); Darren Fay (Meath); David Henry (Dublin); Conor Gormley (Tyrone); Ross Donovan (Sligo); Dessie Mone (Monaghan); Karl Lacey (Donegal).

Half-backs: Tomas O'Se (Kerry); Aidan O Mahony (Kerry); Killian Young (Kerry); Barry Cahill (Dublin); Michael McNamara (Sligo); Noel O'Leary (Cork); Gary McQuaid (Monaghan); Damien Freeman (Monaghan); Caoimhin King (Meath).

Midfield: Ciaran Whelan (Dublin); Darragh O'Se (Kerry); Nicholas Murphy (Cork); Fergal Doherty (Derry); Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone); Paddy Keenan (Louth).

Half-forwards: Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry); Paul Galvin (Kerry); Alan Brogan (Dublin); Bernard Brogan (Dublin); Anthony Moyles (Meath); Stephen Bray (Meath); Raymond Mulgrew (Tyrone); John Doyle (Kildare); Nicky Joyce (Galway).

Full-forwards: Colm Cooper (Kerry); Kieran Donaghy (Kerry); Thomas Freeman (Monaghan); Paddy Bradley (Derry); Donncha O'Connor (Cork); James Masters (Cork); Michael Cussen (Cork); Graham Geraghty (Meath); Mark Vaughan (Dublin).
Ulster League Champions 2009

Puckoon

Surprise inclusion for raymond mulgrew there, though he did have a good year.

ONeill

Gormley down in the full back category....

Estimator

QuoteSurprise inclusion for raymond mulgrew there, though he did have a good year.

Thought that myself - although I would assume that you can rule him, Nicky Joyce, and John Doyle out of the hf line, O'Connor and Cussen have little chance in the ff line, Keenan in midfield. Donovan, Mone, Lacey and McNaramara have little chance of an award either..
Ulster League Champions 2009

Puckoon

Absolutely - still, it will do him not harm to be nominated. There should be a number of All stars in him by the time he finishes

ONeill

C'mon lads, this is a rallying call. 2 years ago this board managed to get PTG an All-Star. We can do it again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A27313427