Short passing / borrowing tactics from basketball

Started by we are blue... etc, August 29, 2007, 12:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

we are blue... etc

Kerry had an interesting little warm-up routine before the game on Sunday, did anybody see it?

What they did was split into two groups on either side of the pitch, and each group split into two teams with different coloured bibs. They had a little area marked out and for 5 mins or so they just hand-passed the ball around and each different team tried to win the ball back off the other. The area was very tight and crowded and the ball was moved around extremely quickly. No doubt this was an attempt to simulate match play and the type of defence Dublin would be employing on them.

I know Pat O'Shea has a background in basketball but it was interesting to see that the Kerry lads didn't rely solely on hand-passing, this was only done when space was limited and was mixed well with the long ball tactic. Laois have been proponents of the hand-passing game over the last few years but I thought that Kerry did it much more effectively at the weekend and also only when needed.

One other thing I noticed about Donaghy particularly is the way he turns like a basketballer, i.e., pivots on one foot and swings around rather than steps this way or the other. Again this seemed to get him out of space much more quickly. Anyone else notice?

magpie seanie

I noticed they did a similar warm up before last years All-Ireland final.

Hardy

Meath were doing that this year too (as well as a lot of very complicated passing and point-kicking drills). I thought it was Dudley's idea - didn't know Kerry were doing it last year.

Uladh

Thats an old one. teams, including clubs, have been doing it for years. gets the bodies up towards match intensity before throwin

Gabriel_Hurl

we play hand-passing games in training all the time - small square - 5 on 5

Denn Forever

Did you notice in the minor game he laois corner forward hopping the ball behind him in the turn a la basketball?  Never saw it done before. Cool.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rick O Shea

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 29, 2007, 04:59:54 PM
Did you notice in the minor game he laois corner forward hopping the ball behind him in the turn a la basketball?  Never saw it done before. Cool.
It would have been better if it actually came off - he was trying to bounce the ball through his legs and it hit his leg on the way back up... not so cool after all   :-\

Denn Forever

Maybe next time it will work.  Would it work at the senior level?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 29, 2007, 04:59:54 PM

Maurice Fitz famously did this back in the 90's on the way to scoring a goal - I forget against who

the Deel Rover

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 29, 2007, 12:46:50 PM
they did seanie i was right behind them at the canal end and i knew we were in trouble before the match even started ( didn't think the game would be over after 10 minutres mind) , the hits that they were giving each other in the warm up were unreal whereas the mayo lads were just kicking the ball around and doing at few passing drills not the same level of intensity at all.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Davitt Man

The first time i saw kerry at it was against cork in last years semi final and they repeated it again in the final against Mayo and hamemred us off the pitch. Then Mayo tried this tactic against Galway in salthill this year and we got hammered again

guy crouchback

[

R
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 29, 2007, 12:46:50 PM
they did seanie i was right behind them at the canal end and i knew we were in trouble before the match even started ( didn't think the game would be over after 10 minutres mind) , the hits that they were giving each other in the warm up were unreal whereas the mayo lads were just kicking the ball around and doing at few passing drills not the same level of intensity at all.
   [/quote]

they were hitting each other so hard during that warm up last year that at least one of the kerry players needed treatment. myself and my mate watched this for a few minutes the watched the mayo boys wandering around chatting and soaking up the atmosphere. at that point it dawned on me that we could be in serious trouble,and so it came to pass.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Uladh on August 29, 2007, 01:19:45 PM

Thats an old one. teams, including clubs, have been doing it for years. gets the bodies up towards match intensity before throwin

dont know about doing this before matches, but certainly this is an old training ground exercise.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 30, 2007, 11:53:13 AM
Quote from: Uladh on August 29, 2007, 01:19:45 PM

dont know about doing this before matches, but certainly this is an old training ground exercise.

the drill is an old drill but it was the intensity of it, they were hopping off each other taking belts and giving belts like it was a match, it went on for about 10 minutes. I was knackered looking at them
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Captain Scarlet

Our club are doing that now before games.
5 on 5 in a small square and the boss encouraging a bit of mowing.
only started doing it coz it had taken us around 10 mins every match to get going.
must be said it works, gets the body ready for to give and receive the hits.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.