If You Could Change One Rule

Started by ONeill, August 29, 2007, 10:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

in football or hurling, what would it be? (or bring in one)

For me it has to be the mark for kick-outs. Although it was slightly less noticeable this year, it's awfully frustrating to see great fielders of the ball leaping like a salmon in Kildare and catching the leather only to land to find himself savaged by Galvin and a pack of ravenous hounds. Only the best of the best at this skill (O Se/Whelan) can catch and swivel like Nadia Comaneci to screw his way out of the mire.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

orangeman

Allow players to pick the ball off the ground - half of them do it now anyway.

orangeman

If you catch the ball directly from a kick out you should be able to take a mark if you want to.

Now there's one rule.

loughshore lad

Orangeman - that 3 rules you would change!!

The mark from a kickout only would perhaps be a good idea so long as they didnt introduce the mark across the board as that would slow the game down too much.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Stop the clock (like in Rugby), this would then do away with people saying that refs played too much injury time for the draw or not enough time for the draw or when your time gets beaten.
Tbc....

orangeman

It's only one rule - but three different times !!! LOL

A Quinn Martin Production

Allow six steps with the ball and enforce it rigidly?
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

I always thought I'd change the rules to disallow scoring frees from the hand but if folk are willing to shoot frees from the hand that's their look out.

The mark from the kickout is one I'd consider.

Think the rules by and large are grand if applied consistently.

screenexile

Not that it's enforced much but I think the rule for hitting a free kick too short is crazy... why after giving the team an advantage would you remove it from them??

As someone who likes nothing better than to make a flying leap over 5 men and come down clutching the ball in your chest I think the mark from a kickout is a great idea! In fairness I notice that a lot of referees will give the advantage to the catcher when he comes down after a fine fetch and give a free if they get set upon by the opposition.

magpie seanie

QuoteNot that it's enforced much but I think the rule for hitting a free kick too short is crazy... why after giving the team an advantage would you remove it from them??

I agree. Its a source of great annoyance. If a free is taken from the wrong spot bring it back and retake it (currently - throw it in). If a free is taken too short bring it back and retake it (surrent rule - reverse decision and give free to other team!). In both cases the team awarded the free still has the free but their clumsiness has cost them the chance to take it quickly. I think that's fair.

blanketattack

One rule I'd like to see is a proper definition of the tackle.
What's allowed and what's not.

Uladh

If you introduce the mark from kickouts it would soon be followed by tactics moving the game closer and closer to rugby with men behind the ball. imagine a team with a distinct disadvantage aerially at mf, like tyrone say. they will soon learn that withdrawing everyone behind the ball bar two fast forwards for kickouts will be the norm. if they win an odd kickout,the space is readily available to feed the two lads whereas if they lose the ball, which they expect to, they are in position and set up to suffocate and counter.

some wag would soon decide not to contest kickouts at all in favour of being set up early for the same scenario.

Bensars

Quote from: blanketattack on August 29, 2007, 10:54:28 AM
One rule I'd like to see is a proper definition of the tackle.
What's allowed and what's not.

Dont think that will ever happen. its the age old question.

I would like to see unlimited subs........something like the 7-a-side version. A baton ( or something thats not a potential weapon) can be passed. Think it would open the game up a bit