la liga thread

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 28, 2007, 09:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Boycey on April 30, 2015, 12:36:49 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 30, 2015, 12:06:45 PM
This nonsense about defenders in Spain not being of the same quality as the EPL is the sort of crap we hear from Gary Neville and Co. In Spain all players can play with the ball even central defenders. The quality of the EPL has been clearly seen in the fact that none of their teams could get into the last 8 of the CL.

I can't for the life of me understand the constant need on here to belittle the Premier League. There is no doubt that currently the top of the Premier League lags behind the top 3/4 teams in Europe but these things are cyclical and I'm sure that it won't be long before they are challenging again.. Look at the last 10 European Cup Finals, the Premier League provided 8 finalists in 7 different years with 3 winners. No other country has more than 5 (Spain).

While the Premier League may lag behind at the top end I'd happily wager that the Premier League is an overall better standard than the Spanish League and will produce more even games. This is the appeal of the Premier League, even if your playing relegation fodder you can't be sure your team will win. The reason Messi/Ronaldo et al score 50 goals per season, every season is because the lower teams know their place and low over and have their bellies tickled. Give me Leicester putting it up to Chelsea (and beating United) any day.
Bullshit as in all leagues the bottom 3 or 4 are powerless when Real or Barca or Atleti for that matter are in the mood but the rest are competitive and the football is better.

Rossie11

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 30, 2015, 03:05:17 PM
This nonsense about defenders in Spain not being of the same quality as the EPL is the sort of crap we hear from Gary Neville and Co. In Spain all players can play with the ball even central defenders. The quality of the EPL has been clearly seen in the fact that none of their teams could get into the last 8 of the CL.

I can't for the life of me understand the constant need on here to belittle the Premier League. There is no doubt that currently the top of the Premier League lags behind the top 3/4 teams in Europe but these things are cyclical and I'm sure that it won't be long before they are challenging again.. Look at the last 10 European Cup Finals, the Premier League provided 8 finalists in 7 different years with 3 winners. No other country has more than 5 (Spain).

While the Premier League may lag behind at the top end I'd happily wager that the Premier League is an overall better standard than the Spanish League and will produce more even games. This is the appeal of the Premier League, even if your playing relegation fodder you can't be sure your team will win. The reason Messi/Ronaldo et al score 50 goals per season, every season is because the lower teams know their place and low over and have their bellies tickled. Give me Leicester putting it up to Chelsea (and beating United) any day.
Bullshit as in all leagues the bottom 3 or 4 are powerless when Real or Barca or Atleti for that matter are in the mood but the rest are competitive and the football is better.

Exactly. Look at the current tables

La Liga                                    EPL
1st place:   84pts                1st place: 80pts
10th Place: 42pts              10th Place: 44pts
17th Place:  31pts             17th Place:  31pts

Barca have lost 4 times this season. Chelsea twice!!
The top 4 in the EPL have been beaten 22 times combined, whilst the uncompetitive la liga top 4 have lost a surprisingly 22 times also
The theory that the worst in the Liga aren't competitive simply doesn't add up.

beer baron

Quote from: Rossie11 on April 30, 2015, 03:37:19 PM

The top 4 in the EPL have been beaten 22 times combined, whilst the uncompetitive la liga top 4 have lost a surprisingly 22 times also

Good man Ross,i suspected something like that but was too lazy to look into it.

Bingo

I see that Ronaldo sulked again last night when a teammate took the opportunity to score a goal rather than let the ball pass by him and allow Ronaldo the tap in.

Not sure if its a matter of him not been a team player or rather that he is ultra competitive and wants to break records and beat Messi.

Boycey

Maybe I've made my point badly, football has always been the same, ultimately the good teams generally beat the weaker teams and your stat shows that is broadly the same in both leagues. The level of beatings in La Liga is getting larger, the top 3 have a combined goal difference of heading for 200 goals better than their counterparts in the Premier League over the last 3 years. You think its because of the quality of Real/Barca/Atleti, I think its in part at least down to the quality of the opposition. The difference in the haves and have nots in the premier league is huge, in Spain its seismic. Barca and Real get 50% of the tv money between them, although I see today that's about to change which will even things up a wee bit http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32544471.

Anyhow that wasn't my main point, its regularly said on here that the Premier League is shite, 40% of Champions League finalists in the last 10 years have come from the Premier League. Overhyped yes, shite not so much

Applesisapples

Quote from: Boycey on May 01, 2015, 01:24:34 PM

Maybe I've made my point badly, football has always been the same, ultimately the good teams generally beat the weaker teams and your stat shows that is broadly the same in both leagues. The level of beatings in La Liga is getting larger, the top 3 have a combined goal difference of heading for 200 goals better than their counterparts in the Premier League over the last 3 years. You think its because of the quality of Real/Barca/Atleti, I think its in part at least down to the quality of the opposition. The difference in the haves and have nots in the premier league is huge, in Spain its seismic. Barca and Real get 50% of the tv money between them, although I see today that's about to change which will even things up a wee bit http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32544471.

Anyhow that wasn't my main point, its regularly said on here that the Premier League is shite, 40% of Champions League finalists in the last 10 years have come from the Premier League. Overhyped yes, shite not so much

The TV money thing is changing, the Spanish Clubs have reached agreement, it needs to be ratified by the Spanish Government, but that is a formality.

50fiftyball

Has our debate here yesterday been made "eat its own words" yesterday? Praising the cream of the Spanish League and branding the italians a shambles altogether...

Or was it just an off night for Madrid? Madrid's back 4 didn't have their best performances, notably Sergio Ramos. You would just feel that with the away goal Madrid won't be too downbeat heading back to the Bernabeu.

Looking forward to Barca v Munich tonight

gallsman

Quote from: 50fiftyball on May 06, 2015, 10:45:25 AM
Has our debate here yesterday been made "eat its own words" yesterday? Praising the cream of the Spanish League and branding the italians a shambles altogether...

Or was it just an off night for Madrid? Madrid's back 4 didn't have their best performances, notably Sergio Ramos. You would just feel that with the away goal Madrid won't be too downbeat heading back to the Bernabeu.

Juve are a good, very physical side with an exultingly hard working midfield, even without Pogba. Madrid weren't great but should have grabbed a point and I still fancy them to go through. Ramos was playing in midfield, not as part of the back four.

Esmarelda

Quote from: 50fiftyball on May 06, 2015, 10:45:25 AM

I don't think it was an off night as such but I still expect them to go through. It can't be stressed enough how big a miss Modric is in midfield. Add to that, the fact he's been replaced by Ramos who showed last night why he should never play there in a game of that size. The word is that Illaramendi isn't rated and will be out the door and Khedira is making noises about going and so neither were considered for the role. Benzema was also missing and Bale was there, but also missing.

A win at home to Valencia on Saturday night puts the pressure right back on Barcelona for their trip to the Vicente Calderon. It'd be unthinkable that Simeone would go easy in that one to stop Real winning the league.............isn't it? Remember, Real have the better head to head, so even a two points dropped by Barca is likely to hand Real the title.

gallsman

Real came from two down to draw at home to Valencia tonight, with Ronaldo missing a penalty and arguably being at fault for the second goal by not marking properly. Leaves Barca four ahead with two games to play and the title all but wrapped up.

ONeill

Watched Barca today. Their nerves were showing too until that first goal went in.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

i didn't notice the Barca nerves that much, I thought it was more  the game after the lord mayor's show, even Messi's adrenalin levels had dropped below zero.
At least with a few players, they were below their own standards.

The RM v Valencia was the game of the day, I thought RM would likely slip up in Seville but on their home turf I thought they would have this game wrapped up and a rake of early substitutions  to give their royalty players a rest. But Valencia are a good team, advanced levels of skill  and that combined with RM missing a hatful of chances made for a good evenings viewing.

gallsman

The turnaround Valencia have made under their new ownership and management is remarkable. Deserve a lot of credit.

Rossie11

Madrid only picked up 1 pt from the 2 home games with Valencia and Atletico. 1 win from 6 within the top 4. That's what will cost them the title.
Good to see Valencia back in top 4.
Should Sevilla win the Europa will Spain be allowed to have 5 in the champs league or will 4th place lose out?

gallsman

Quote from: Rossie11 on May 10, 2015, 11:45:15 AM
Madrid only picked up 1 pt from the 2 home games with Valencia and Atletico. 1 win from 6 within the top 4. That's what will cost them the title.
Good to see Valencia back in top 4.
Should Sevilla win the Europa will Spain be allowed to have 5 in the champs league or will 4th place lose out?

I think I read 4th would lose out. If Sevilla were to finish fourth AND win the Europa, don't think CL place would go to 5th placed team either.