la liga thread

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 28, 2007, 09:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on April 08, 2015, 10:31:48 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2015, 10:20:03 PM
Barca won 4-0 earlier and Madrid have been under serious pressure against Rayo for the first hour. Rayo probably deserve to be in the lead but Real starting to get on top and Ronaldo was harshly booked for a dive that should have been a penalty.

And there he is right on cue.... Real really need the win tonight or it might just be beyond them.

Backed him, fiver at 4/1!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mouview

Barce's 6-0 win over Getafe last evening was almost routine at this stage, containing goals from their outstanding front trio, and a rareish one from Xavi, most of them terrific finishes. Can it be seriously argued now that Messi is the best there's ever been? His impact at international level hasn't been as good as Pele or Maradona, mainly due to bad management, circumstances and injury, but his club performances have been consistent and truly phenomenal. Is it enough at this stage, or would he require a successful move to another league to really prove himself?

screenexile

Quote from: mouview on April 29, 2015, 12:13:49 PM
Barce's 6-0 win over Getafe last evening was almost routine at this stage, containing goals from their outstanding front trio, and a rareish one from Xavi, most of them terrific finishes. Can it be seriously argued now that Messi is the best there's ever been? His impact at international level hasn't been as good as Pele or Maradona, mainly due to bad management, circumstances and injury, but his club performances have been consistent and truly phenomenal. Is it enough at this stage, or would he require a successful move to another league to really prove himself?

Could he do it on a cold Tuesday evening in the Britannia is the question though!!

oakleaflad

Quote from: mouview on April 29, 2015, 12:13:49 PM
I honestly believe that, nostalgia aside, Messi and Ronaldo are probably the two best to ever have played the game despite neither having achieved as much as others for their international sides. Their goal scoring record at club level is phenomenal.

beer baron

It's hard/impossible to say definitively that Messi is the  best ever but from what i've seen he's on a different planet for me and i'll be very shocked if i ever allow myself to even consider someone else to be of his level. 

gallsman

Quote from: beer baron on April 29, 2015, 12:52:09 PM
It's hard/impossible to say definitively that Messi is the  best ever but from what i've seen he's on a different planet for me and i'll be very shocked if i ever allow myself to even consider someone else to be of his level.

Inside half an hour last night, each of Messi, Suarez and Neymar had a goal and assist each. Ten minutes later Xavi had the same.

Will be fascinating to see then against Bayern after their loss to Dortmund in the Cup semi final.

Billys Boots

Quote from: gallsman on April 29, 2015, 01:32:14 PM
Quote from: beer baron on April 29, 2015, 12:52:09 PM

Inside half an hour last night, each of Messi, Suarez and Neymar had a goal and assist each. Ten minutes later Xavi had the same.

Will be fascinating to see then against Bayern after their loss to Dortmund in the Cup semi final.

And now that Robben is out for the rest of the season with injury. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

50fiftyball

Messi needs to go to another league in order to prove himself IMO.

Ronaldo has proved himself in the premier league, in my eyes he is better.

Another point I would argue is that, these 2 men are getting roughly 50 goals in the La Liga per season, the quality of opposition and intensity in La Liga matches must be brought to attention. Sure, it's better football, but to score that many in the premier league would be unheard of. The Stoke's, West Ham's etc rarely bow down to anyone, could Messi do it against them with the physicality of these defences?

Kidder81

Quote from: 50fiftyball on April 29, 2015, 05:23:54 PM

Another point I would argue is that, these 2 men are getting roughly 50 goals in the La Liga per season, the quality of opposition and intensity in La Liga matches must be brought to attention. Sure, it's better football, but to score that many in the premier league would be unheard of. The Stoke's, West Ham's etc rarely bow down to anyone, could Messi do it against them with the physicality of these defences?

Andy Gray?

brokencrossbar1

Neither did Pele or Maradona or any of the truly great footballers bar George Best. The EPL is the nursery or the graveyard for potentially great or has-been footballers.  The EPL is the singularly must over-rated league in the world as evidenced by this years CL and Europa league.

Rossie11

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 29, 2015, 06:38:43 PM

Neither did Pele or Maradona or any of the truly great footballers bar George Best. The EPL is the nursery or the graveyard for potentially great or has-been footballers.  The EPL is the singularly must over-rated league in the world as evidenced by this years CL and Europa league.
+1
Exactly why would Messi be tempted to a take a step down to that rubbish.
He is at the perfect club for his skills. Damn right he wouldn't score 50 goals in the EPL.
For simple reason he would either be back defending corners or else ploughing a loan furrow upfront with guys who are light years behind him in creativity or attacking ability.
Half the teams in the EPL wouldn't even try a simple one-two in the opposition box to create an opening!! Such adventure would be alien to them..

Main Street

Quote from: Rossie11 on April 29, 2015, 08:47:33 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 29, 2015, 06:38:43 PM

+1
Exactly why would Messi be tempted to a take a step down to that rubbish.
He is at the perfect club for his skills. Damn right he wouldn't score 50 goals in the EPL.
For simple reason he would either be back defending corners or else ploughing a loan furrow upfront with guys who are light years behind him in creativity or attacking ability.
Half the teams in the EPL wouldn't even try a simple one-two in the opposition box to create an opening!! Such adventure would be alien to them..

Whilst I do have a hard time picturing Messi playing at the dungeon level of European league football,  nevertheless I do have fond memories of Suarez playing with a stock average epl team and being the desert rose that almost singlehandedly  transformed them into  a state of league title bliss.

Applesisapples

This nonsense about defenders in Spain not being of the same quality as the EPL is the sort of crap we hear from Gary Neville and Co. In Spain all players can play with the ball even central defenders. The quality of the EPL has been clearly seen in the fact that none of their teams could get into the last 8 of the CL.

Boycey

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 30, 2015, 12:06:45 PM
This nonsense about defenders in Spain not being of the same quality as the EPL is the sort of crap we hear from Gary Neville and Co. In Spain all players can play with the ball even central defenders. The quality of the EPL has been clearly seen in the fact that none of their teams could get into the last 8 of the CL.

I can't for the life of me understand the constant need on here to belittle the Premier League. There is no doubt that currently the top of the Premier League lags behind the top 3/4 teams in Europe but these things are cyclical and I'm sure that it won't be long before they are challenging again.. Look at the last 10 European Cup Finals, the Premier League provided 8 finalists in 7 different years with 3 winners. No other country has more than 5 (Spain).

While the Premier League may lag behind at the top end I'd happily wager that the Premier League is an overall better standard than the Spanish League and will produce more even games. This is the appeal of the Premier League, even if your playing relegation fodder you can't be sure your team will win. The reason Messi/Ronaldo et al score 50 goals per season, every season is because the lower teams know their place and low over and have their bellies tickled. Give me Leicester putting it up to Chelsea (and beating United) any day.

clarshack

if barcelona and real madrid played in the EPL they would also be putting 6, 7 or 8 past the hulls and the burnleys just like they currently do to the getafes and granadas!

don't forget only for joe harte, man city would also have conceded 6 or 7 at the nou camp.