Rugby world cup

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 26, 2007, 11:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Thing is...who was it that missed the tackle on the French player scoring the winning try? Best and Hickie ? There were 2 lads. Who was responsible for not catching the kick-off which led to the try. Leamy If we had controlled the re-start - game over.

GalwayBayBoy

Good to see Reddan given a chance. Stringer has been playing poorly for a while now even though his forwards haven't been giving him good service so far at the WC.

Very surprised to see Murphy drop out of the 22 altogether. Who's more likely to make an impact coming off the bench? Murphy or Duffy? It's a no brainer that one. That said Murphy tends to save his worst performances for France. He had an absolute nightmare in Paris 2 years ago and of course the shocking missed tackle in Croke Park. He is however far more likely to make something happen than Gavin Duffy.

To have any chance on Friday the forwards have to finally turn up at this WC. They got bullied at times by both Namibia and Georgia.

FermPundit

Whilst I agree that Stringer has been poor recently I find it a bit surprising that he has been left out of the squad of 22 completely. I would have thought it would have been useful to have the option to bring Stringer on for the last 15-20 mins of the game. Given the importance of the game on Friday night I think its a high risk strategy for EOS to break up such an established half back partnership of O'Gara and Stringer.

I suspect the dropping of Geordan Murphy from the squad could signal the end of his international career for Ireland. What a complete vote of no confidence by EOS when you consider that Murphy hasn't even kicked a ball in the competiton.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

thewobbler

FermPundit, why would you bring on a player with 15-20 minutes to go who offers absolutely no impact? Will it take another 75 caps for people like you to realise that he has been pulling the wool over your eyes for the past decade? Stringer's limited game is one of the single biggest reasons why Ireland haven't delivered a grand slam in recent seasons.

I can't help but get the feeling that Ireland are just unfit at present. Wallace, D'Arcy, Horan, O'Driscoll, Leamy and Horgan all look like men who are finding their feet again after long absences (even if they aren't). They aren't sharp and they aren't focused. We simply cannot afford to carry that number of players into a game of this magnitude and at least half of them should have been rested.

And Dinny is right about O'Kelly. The best thing about big Malcolm in recent years is that when he has pulled on the Ireland shirt, it has been with a point to prove and he has generally been fired up and excellent. When he's in the right frame of mind, he's still Ireland's best second row.

As for Muphy, well I'm not that bothered. He has had umpteen chances in the past 5 years to nail down a place and all he has done is flatter to deceive. He may be a better option than Duffy, but that's besides the point, he doesn't deserve to be in a matchday 22 given his performances for Ireland.

FermPundit

I'm fully aware of the limitations of Stringers game but to drop him from the squad completely is risky. Yes, he hasn't performed in the world cup so far but you also need to consider that he's been playing behind a beaten pack in both games. Looking at other options at scrum half is needed, I just don't think the middle of the world cup is the time to be doing it.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Puckoon

Quote from: tyroneboi on September 17, 2007, 06:54:20 PM
In my opinion i think that Geordan Murphys Ireland career is in tatters. With steady Eddie getting another 4 years and Murphy never gonna be one of his favourites i think its fair to say he will be forced out of the picture.
People go on about one missed tackle jaysus lads get over how many has the likes of O'Gara missed who has been repeatably targeted because of his poor tackling. Surely there is room in the team for him? i seriously cant believe he is out of the squad all together.

I am so pessimistic about our chances on friday. at the end of the day if we are beat we're gone! the best i think we can hope for is perhaps a bonus point loss and then maybe it will be game on against argentina.

Unfortunately I think you are right.

bcarrier

Wobbler ...you could argue ireland lost 2 grandslams because stringer wasnt either picked or available. Before EOS Gatland picked guy easterbunny vs scots and Boss was SH v France this year.

galwayman

To be honest, I am absolutely dumbfounded that Geordan Murphy has been excluded from the 22.
How anyone could put Gavin Duffy ahead of Murphy beggars belief. I have seen Duffy play quite a few times and he is a very limited player. Murphy on the other hand has talent to burn.His defence has at times been suspect but surely if you are looking for impact off the bench then he is the perfect player to have.

Andrew Trimble is another limited player.He is nowhere near as good as either Murphy or Hickie in my opinion.

I would agree with bringing Reddan into the team but again it goes to show the futility of having Boss on the bench in the first place. Surely if Reddan is your second choice scrum half then he should have been on the bench ahead of Boss all along?

I believe we have no chance on Friday.France will beat us with a bonus point which will effectively put us out of the competition before the Argy game. Depressing.

Lecale2

I am dreading the match on Friday. I'll have to watch but it's the way you watch a car crash or something like that. I really think it will be embarrassing. Could all 30 of them not claim their Granny's died and just go home. It would save the Nation the pain of watching them again.

stephenite

Eddie O'Sullivan has taken a gamble no doubt in regards to dropping Murphy, but he had the option of selecting a player who cost Ireland the Grand Slam and whose defensive shortcomings, and his inability to take correct decisions in high pressure situations have been well documented, or dropping him. I'd havbe dropped him too.

It's obvious EOS doesn't trust Murphy, so it's not altogether surprising. If Ireland don't turn things around sharpish he'll be hung out to dry by the media so he felt he had to do something

the ship

Rugby is a funny old game, is this the first time a guy gets dropped and he did not even play a game

Dinny Breen

QuoteEddie O'Sullivan has taken a gamble no doubt in regards to dropping Murphy, but he had the option of selecting a player who cost Ireland the Grand Slam and whose defensive shortcomings, and his inability to take correct decisions in high pressure situations have been well documented, or dropping him. I'd havbe dropped him too.

Absolute rubbish, Murphy made a very high profile error in that match but it he also made a try saving intervention in the same game, but then it was Murphy who missed those tackles at the end and it was also Murphy who failed to claim the re-start. Not to mention Murphy's cameo against Wales  ::)

Murphy is the ideal impact sub, in fact he is a better winger than Trimble. O'Sullivan and Murphy don't see eye to eye, the fact that O'Sullivan publicly spoke out in the manner that he did has to be the worst piece of man-management I have seen in a long time. Duffy is an average player who play sub-standard rugby last year and no one can understand why he is in the World Cup squad. It's not a disaster that Murphy's not in the squad but the reason's given are an absolute joke, it looks like all players are equal but some are more equal than others..

Anyway as for the team selection, it's a strange one, Reddan goes from number 3 to number one having never started a 6 nations game, Stringer on the bench would make no sense as he has no impact and can only cover scrum-half, Boss covers full-back and wing as well so that's straight forward. Best and Quinlan most be disappointed, dropping Hickiie is akin to dropping the corner forward after your midfield was cleaned out.

Anyway I have to be optimistic going to Paris so I think we have a chance, France are very out of sorts and will be missing key players, Friday will come to which team is not afraid to lose...
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 18, 2007, 09:33:03 AM

Anyway I have to be optimistic going to Paris so I think we have a chance, France are very out of sorts and will be missing key players, Friday will come to which team is not afraid to lose...
Well going by last Saturdays preformance losing would not bother Ireland in the slightest  ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

did anyone else pick up on what neil francis said about Hickey retiring, more or less along the lines of him 'having' to retire, i think he said it wasnt his place to say. It there something big about to come out after the world cup?

the Deel Rover

It now seems like a funny decision the irfu extending Eddie o' Sullivan's contract before the World Cup. Some of the decisions he is now making look like that of desperation. I think that we may have peaked too early this year hopefully i will be proved wrong  but i don't think so certainly not if the last 2 games are anything to go by.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001