Will Spillane and the Southern Meeja have the balls to tell the truth???

Started by tyroneman, August 26, 2007, 08:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

So............ no 'doirty' Northern teams in sight and the last Semi-final turns into one of the most unpleasant (first half) spectacles seen in years.

Nasty wee fouls off the ball....................yip
Goading players after missing scores...............yip
Goading players after scoring.........................yip
Blatant thuggery.......................yip
3rd man tackle all over the shop......................yip
Dropping the knees (Galvin special)............yip
Slaps to the face (hello Jayo).....................yip
Should have been at least 4 off.......................yip
A disgraceful example for kids watching the game...........yip

Typical ulster puke again.........................nope

Hopefully the Sunday game can call a spade a spade and slaughter these players for the way they carried on, especially in a farcical first half.Foir years we hear about the thuggish, dirty ulster teams - and what do we get today?

No douby Pat will gloss over all of this tonight in his usual whitewash fashion when the beloved are playing.

Funny how Ricey gets pilloried for slabbering to players yet Dublin and Kerry were at it all day long. Funny how Dooher and PtG were 'divers' yet Gooch did a fair swan lake holding his face today when he was caught round the middle
Funny how dropping the knees is a Northern sport yet Galvin is the master
Funny how there can be several 10 man brawls yet no red cards for Kerry or de dubs...........

Ref hadn't the balls to send someone off.........one can only hope Pat MCA is in for the final

Tyrone Dreamer

As I said on another thread I enjoyed the game. However I also said that if it was northern teams it would have been took apart by the souhtern press. There was constant examples in the 1st half of things the Northern teams were criticised so heavily for. B Brogan clearly dived for a free and there was numerous others. There was so much pushing and shoving early on and mouthing in each others faces that the game had no flow. There was also booing from the crowd. These things were picked up on and scrutinised to put Tyrone and Armagh down, the main critics came from Dunlin and Kerry. Ive a feeling the reaction will be different this time.

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

GalwayBayBoy

Jaysus lads give the "southern press" have a chance for a start. The papers aren't even out until the morning. ;D

And to be fair O'Rourke did criticise the behaviour of the players at half-time.

Tyrone Dreamer

Stop whinging - we've been asking that for 4 years! I didnt think today was a bad game but my point was that football play by southern teams is little or no different to that played in the north.

heganboy

I enjoyed the game today- it was a fierce struggle, and in the end as in any head to head where the game is close, the team that wanted it enough to win by any means possible -won it. Fair play to Kerry, they didn't play as well as we've seen them play, yet that little bit of street smarts was there and it wasn't visible on the Dublin team. Gooch's stalling the ball, (and the lying down) Donachy's professional foul (and the lying down) Cluxton's stupidity were examples of the areas that Dublin need to learn, and only seeing how these things make a difference to the outcome of a game will bring these lessons home.

Are the media likely to call it cynical fouling by Donachy or say the win was devalued by the late hits? Is there likely to be calls for wholesale disciplinary measures for the 10 man scuffles, maybe, but I'd say the reason why not isn't just because its the media darlings Kerry and Dublin, its because at this stage anyone who has even a passing interest in gaelic games knows that Bannon is inept. His performance today caps a serious of games over the last 5 years where his failing to call the game evenly, accurately and fairly has left spectators and players alike with a sour taste in their mouthes, and had some effect on the result.

I know refs come in for a lot of stick, and God knows I don't have the balls to do it, but there has to be better refs out there that can be selected for the most important games of the year.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Pangurban

As a showpiece for our games, this was a total disgrace, it should have 7 a side at the finish, if there had even been an attempt to apply the rules. Players behaved disgracefully, the ref. totally bottled it. Never again can the southern media critisize Ulster teams, they will have this thrown in their faces. Kerry won a game,but lost the universal respect they have always enjoyed. Dublin just continue their losing streak at the final stages with little hope of the pattern being broken in the forseeable future. Thank God for the minors in both semi=finals who showed how football should be played. Sadly in a couple of years these same minors will be senior and cynical, if the powers that be dont get a grip and start exerting some discipline.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteKerry won a game,but lost the universal respect they have always enjoyed.

quit the doublespeak. You lads have wasted no opportunity to have a go at Kerry football over the last few years so spare us the "universal respect"  crap. You despise us and thats fine by us.

This AI has been about Cork,Meath, Dublin and Kerry. Now its about Cork and Kerry. We would appreciate if ye dont try and ruin the next 3 weeks with ye're Northern paranoia. Its not about ye anymore so get off the damn stage. We're sick of listening to ye.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

You might not like it Mike but its still a valid point. I really enjoyed the match; great intensity, in the balance to the end and some fantastic scores, but there was diving, goading opposition, sly hits off the ball, feigning injury and blanket defence too. It will be interesting to see if its commented upon by the media right enough, some of them gave other teams a very hard press for far less. Ultimately though doesnt matter too much...we should all know by now that the media are full of sh*t ;D

Looking forward to the final, could well be a cracker.

Mike Sheehy

The media do comment on it..all the time
you lads comment on it....all the time

How many times have we heard "oh, kerry are just as bad..that Galvin is a tr**p etc"
Do you lads actually listen, or read correctly or is there some filter that filters out all criticism of Kerry while amplifying any
criticism of Northern teams thereby leading ye to believe ye are persecuted while we get a pass.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Im really not overly bothered about it Mike because like I said the media are full of sh*t and arent worth getting too upset about, Id certainly never use a word like "persecution" in relation to Tyrone's treatment in the media :D
Was interesting though that the Sunday Game lads there didnt say a thing about blanket defence, late hits, diving, goading except one comment about a "bit of handbags" ;D ;D Same as Tony Davis last time praised Cork for getting men behind the ball then breaking forward in numbers, our great "crime". Total hypocrisy all round but like I said who cares, media in talking b*llocks shocker.
Really enjoyable spectacle today IMO and hopefully more of the same in the final.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Couldn't stomach Spillane on the Sunday Game tonight -- we can talk all we like about him but the bottom line for RTE is the viewing figures, and he hits them big time, he's pure shit.

No complaints about Kerry though, the better team prevailed today, though pretty it wasn't.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Pangurban

quit the doublespeak. You lads have wasted no opportunity to have a go at Kerry football over the last few years so spare us the "universal respect"  crap. You despise us and thats fine by us. So says Mike Sheehy. Well let me tell you young Mike, having been around a lot longer than you, and probably seen a lot more Kerry Football than you have, that Kerry did enjoy universal repect and deservedly so. They will probably regain it, but todays performance has tarnished their reputation considerably and will probably result in most neutrals hoping for a Cork victory. Not i may i hasten to add, though i am sorely tempted as boys like you need to learn to accept a little critisizm and not be trying to justify foul play,cynicism,and thuggery

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIm really not overly bothered about it Mike because like I said the media are full of sh*t and arent worth getting too upset about, Id certainly never use a word like "persecution" in relation to Tyrone's treatment in the media 
Was interesting though that the Sunday Game lads there didnt say a thing about blanket defence, late hits, diving, goading except one comment about a "bit of handbags"   Same as Tony Davis last time praised Cork for getting men behind the ball then breaking forward in numbers, our great "crime". Total hypocrisy all round but like I said who cares, media in talking b*llocks shocker.
Really enjoyable spectacle today IMO and hopefully more of the same in the final.

The media e.g Brolly, O'Rourke have also constantly praised the "mental toughness" of Nothern teams, many times to the detriment of teams like Kerry, Cork, Dublin etc who were seen as "flakey". You lads were happy to lap up that praise eventhough you surely must have realized it was exaggerated (where was it in the years you lost ??). The media like lazy analysis and you have benefitted as much as you have lost out.

I have asked you lads this before. Be honest, which would you rather ?? to have the media give you a hard time over "tactics" but still have respect for you or to damn you with faint praise saying you are "nice" footballers but you dont have bottle ??

The answer is easy..the worst thing you can do is question a countys "character" which is what, in my opinion, has led to much of the antipathy between Kerry and Northern teams.The victories over Cork, Monaghan and Dublin were especially pleasing and O'Rourke and co seem to be finally giving some credit to the Kerry players on the character issue but, still, its nowhere near the rhapsodies we would hear if it were Armagh or Tyrone. With the media, like football itself, you win some, you lose some.

magickingdom

Quote from: Pangurban on August 26, 2007, 09:54:25 PM
As a showpiece for our games, this was a total disgrace, it should have 7 a side at the finish, if there had even been an attempt to apply the rules. Players behaved disgracefully, the ref. totally bottled it. Never again can the southern media critisize Ulster teams, they will have this thrown in their faces. Kerry won a game,but lost the universal respect they have always enjoyed. Dublin just continue their losing streak at the final stages with little hope of the pattern being broken in the forseeable future. Thank God for the minors in both semi=finals who showed how football should be played. Sadly in a couple of years these same minors will be senior and cynical, if the powers that be dont get a grip and start exerting some discipline.

go thro the threads from before throw in for todays game and tell me where was the universal respect? a lot of posters seemed to change their mind as the game went on and gave kerry a bit of respect for standing up to the dubs. no other county in ireland today would have beaten dublin. kerry were brilliant today, do you think monaghan (who we supposedly robbed) would have beaten dublin today?