Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Anyone for Ravenhill tonight?

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 24, 2007, 12:41:02 PM
Anyone for Ravenhill tonight?

If there's spare tickets flying about?

Orior

The natives are cross about GSTQ not being played. The poor souls, bless them.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

I'm going.

It'll be interesting to see how full blooded it is.

Geordan Murphy, Andrew Trimble, Neil Best and Rory Best have the most to prove/most to lose, so I'm expecting big games from each.

SammyG

Quote from: Orior on August 24, 2007, 01:18:47 PM

Firstly who are 'the natives'
Secondly Ulster rugby supporters are pissed off that AnbF is played and the tricolour folown for matches at LR and that Belfast is being treated as an away match so only Ireland's Call will be played. I don't think there are many people who want GSTQ played they just want AnBf dropped as well and only all-island flags and emblems to be used.Hardly an unreasonable point of view.

thewobbler

Not unreasonable Sammy G, but when there is a sizeable majority on one side, they tend to get what they want. That's life.

Graham Garrity

Im going up to the match tonight but was wondering could my son bring his Irish flag (tricolour) saying Ireland triple crown winners 2007. Would some of the fans see that as offensive?  

Mentalman

Quote from: SammyG on August 24, 2007, 01:24:14 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 24, 2007, 01:18:47 PM

Firstly who are 'the natives'
Secondly Ulster rugby supporters are pissed off that AnbF is played and the tricolour folown for matches at LR and that Belfast is being treated as an away match so only Ireland's Call will be played. I don't think there are many people who want GSTQ played they just want AnBf dropped as well and only all-island flags and emblems to be used.Hardly an unreasonable point of view.

I think they should have followed what was believed to be the agreed protocol, the anthem of jurisdiction of the venue should be played. No matter how objectionable some might find it, an agreement was an agreement, and to me it's only fair if Unionists have to listen to The Soldiers Song for every home international in Dublin. This decision sends out all the wrong messages.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

SammyG

Quote from: thewobbler on August 24, 2007, 01:27:12 PM
Not unreasonable Sammy G, but when there is a sizeable majority on one side, they tend to get what they want. That's life.

Is there any sort of majority (sizeable or otherwise)? Anybody that I've ever spoken to (north or south) is at the worst ambivalent and most actually accept the idea of ditching AnBf. I think if the IRFU were to run a poll on the issue the results wouldn't go with the status quo, which is why they have consistently refused to do it.

On a slightly different tack, what do you think of Belfast being declared as an away match and 'outside Ireland' by the IRFU?

Orior

I'd be content with an apology to the natives:- the stadium announcer could say just before the match starts that anyone who wants gstq played could shove it up their arses.

SammyG

Quote from: Graham Garrity on August 24, 2007, 01:29:04 PM
Im going up to the match tonight but was wondering could my son bring his Irish flag (tricolour) saying Ireland triple crown winners 2007. Would some of the fans see that as offensive?  

Can't see why anybody would find it offensive and I would imagine there'll be a fair few tricolours and NI flags at the match.

Orior

Quote from: Orior on August 24, 2007, 01:35:13 PM
I'd be content with an apology to the natives:- the stadium announcer could say just before the match starts that anyone who wants gstq played could shove it up their arses.

As sure I'm only teasing.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Neither Scotland or Wales use GSTQ in rugby, infact its used as the England teams anthem, now why in the name of sweet fcuk, would you want Ireland to play an international rugby match to the England rugby teams song!!
Tbc....

SammyG

Quote from: Orior on August 24, 2007, 01:35:13 PM
Will you be asking for the reverse announcement at LR? Can anybody that wants AnBf played, shove it up their arses?

Graham Garrity

If i was to wear a celtic jersey, Is there a danger I could get my shits knocked in the North tonight. Scottish team.