Galway V Cork U21 SF

Started by GY Joe, August 23, 2007, 11:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GY Joe

Teams?
Analysis: My tuppence worth. This is a strong Galway U21 team containing Joe, K Wade, Lee and Mahon. Very hopeful they will make the final against the Dubs....

REVENGE FOR 83! ;D

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Unless this Galway team has regressed dramatically from minor you would have to say that they would be favourites to win on Saturday given that they beat this same Cork team a few years ago at minor fairly easily.

In saying that Cork have the advantage of a tough Munster campaign behind, yes will have taken something out of the legs but its still good to get matches rather than be like Galway coming in cold.

Interesting to see Sean Lane say in an interview that he would prefer Galway to Cork, if Joe Canning is on form this year be careful what you wish for Sean!

Expect a lot tighter game than the minor encounter as Cork have some good performers in Cadogan (expect him to get a few runs in NHL next year to put some pressure on Curran), Shane' Neill, Pa Cronin and Pat Horgan although the loss of Paudie O Sullivan since the start of the year is a big blow.

If Canning is playing and on form expect Galway to win by about four points but hope the Rebels can sneak it!

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Cork Team for Saturday

Cork (v Galway) - K O'Halloran; J O'Callaghan, E Dillon, C O'Driscoll; S O'Neill, E Cadogan, A Ryan; L Desmond, A Mannix; P Cronin, K Canty, C Naughton; P Horgan, Eoghan Murphy

Strong side  - think they are missing a player from this list

INDIANA

difficult to see galway being stopped for the all-ireland u21 even if they played in front of 80,000 dubs. some seriously gifted players on the galway team. I know as a dublin man we'd much prefer to play cork.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2007, 01:49:46 PM
difficult to see galway being stopped for the all-ireland u21 even if they played in front of 80,000 dubs. some seriously gifted players on the galway team. I know as a dublin man we'd much prefer to play cork.

The Dublin coach I believe said during the week that they'd prefer Galway.

Either way he'd probably be better off saying nothing. Galway will have their hands full with Cork alone but he hardly wants to be encouraging any team in the final other than his own.

GY Joe

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 23, 2007, 02:01:18 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2007, 01:49:46 PM

The Dublin coach I believe said during the week that they'd prefer Galway.

Either way he'd probably be better off saying nothing. Galway will have their hands full with Cork alone but he hardly wants to be encouraging any team in the final other than his own.

Reverse psychology I'd say. wants to encourage COrk to have a good crack at Galway - or maybe not? Who knows, thats reverse psychology for ya.

Anyway, alot depends on what condition JC is in I suppose, has to be rusty...

INDIANA

Lane wouldn't be highly rated in dublin- passes himself off as something of a guru- the train of thought in dublin is that we'd have won a few leinster u21 championships at this stage with someone else in charge. if he said that then he's a bigger clown than i thought he was.
on joe canning- looked sharp enough when he scored about 4-4 in a challenge game against dublin not that long ago

GY Joe

Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2007, 02:22:31 PM
Lane wouldn't be highly rated in dublin- passes himself off as something of a guru- the train of thought in dublin is that we'd have won a few leinster u21 championships at this stage with someone else in charge. if he said that then he's a bigger clown than i thought he was.
on joe canning- looked sharp enough when he scored about 4-4 in a challenge game against dublin not that long ago

Didnt hear about that challenge Indiana, details if you have them...

Latest from Hoganstand
Galway's hopes of booking a place in this year's All-Ireland Under 21 HC final have been dealt a blow with the news that midfielder Andy Carey will miss out on this Saturday's semi-final clash with Cork.

Carey sustained a hairline fracture in a toe during a training session a couple of weeks ago but it was only in the last few days that it was realised just how serious it was.

"Andy is a big loss to us, as, as well as midfield, he can play at wing-back," lamented Galway boss Vincent Mullins.

On a more positive note, Mullins - who will announce his side tonight - is hopeful that corner-back Ciaran O'Donovan (dead leg) and Kerrill Wade (ankle) will be fit to line out.

INDIANA

both sides were missing a few- but galway looked seriously good with canning literally unmarkable. with canning and wade they'd cause big problems for most senior defences let alone u21. dublin full back line is probably dublins achilles heel- suffice to say we'd prefer cork (not saying we'd beat cork but i believe we'd have a better chance against them) but cork's defence could cope well with the galway forwards with lads like shane o neill - so cork have a chance if they perform- but i don't think they'll score enough.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team

J Skehill
A Leech
P Loughnane
K O Donavan
M Ryan
J Lee
G Mahon
K Kilkenny
A Harte
S Glynn
K Hynes
F Coone
N Kelly
J Canning
K Wade

GY Joe

Skehill
A Leech
P Loughnane
K O Donavan
M Ryan
J Lee
G Mahon
K Kilkenny
A Harte
S Glynn
K Hynes
F Coone
N Kelly
J Canning
K Wade

Obviously, a very nice FF line.. The makings of a fine Half Back line there as well. Skehill has shown good promise as a goalie.. Thats as far as I am able to offer comment on.. What do the alickadoos think?

GY Joe

Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2007, 07:38:10 PM
both sides were missing a few- but galway looked seriously good with canning literally unmarkable. with canning and wade they'd cause big problems for most senior defences let alone u21. dublin full back line is probably dublins achilles heel- suffice to say we'd prefer cork (not saying we'd beat cork but i believe we'd have a better chance against them) but cork's defence could cope well with the galway forwards with lads like shane o neill - so cork have a chance if they perform- but i don't think they'll score enough.

Well, in Dublins positive column, Carton is a great player to watch.. Overall a very big team I though from what I saw on the box, and exciting to boot... Of course I will be shouting for ye should Cork beat us in the Semi..

GY Joe

PHEW!!!!!!!!

Savage game, fair play to Both teams.. A novel final pairing to look forward to...
Canning, Wade, Lee, Mahon, SKEHILL, Kavanagh all savage games for the Tribe... Cadigan for Cork was MOM until Canning went centre forward and then the class told, ably assisted by Grrene, who plucked a few high ones in front of Cadogan when he came on to quieten him. Overall.. Have t oobe pleased as a Galwayman to see the team come in cold and be red-hot by the end of the game..

From the Examiner:

27 August 2007

Skehill paves way for Galway triumph

Galway 4-21 Cork 2-18 (aet)
By Brendan Larkin
THREE incredible saves by goalkeeper James Skehill helped Galway to victory in a superb Erins All-Ireland U21 hurling championship semi-final at Thurles on Saturday.

This was an epic contest from start to finish; throw in 20 minutes of extra time, look at the final scoreline, and still you won't able to tell the story of this match played in exemplary fashion by two superb teams.

Galway won it through sheer power and a slice of good fortune. With three minutes of normal time left and the game tied at 2-14 each, Shekill denied John Halbert possibly a match winning goal with the second of three blinding saves.

Both sides swapped points to be tied before substitute Stephen White pointed in injury time to give Cork the lead and what looked to be the victory. However with the game four minutes into added time (though the fourth official had earlier signalled there was to be only two), Shane O'Neill was harshly penalised for a challenge on Karril Wade and the Galway man duly converted the free to send the game into extra time.

Galway then put in a storming 20 minutes scoring 2-5 to Cork's 0-2 to book their place in the final against Dublin on September 9 — the first meeting of the counties in the final in 35 years.

While this was essentially a team effort, Galway will forever be grateful for the brilliance of Skehill; the dominance of Ger Mahon and John Lee in defence and the skills of Wade and Joe Canning in attack.

Cork will wonder how it got away, particularly in normal time. After a shaky start they thundered into the game with two goals; might have had at least one more but for the brilliance of Skehill, and looked to have it won when Stephen White pointed to give them the lead in injury time.

Having put in a massive effort to win the game in normal time, Cork were out on their feet in extra time, as Galway's stronger bench in the persons of Conor Kavanagh, John Greene and Barry Hanley proved its worth.

Like his counterpart, the Cork 'keeper Ken O'Halloran made some brilliant saves also; Eoin Dillon had a excellent match on Joe Canning before the Portumna youngster was switched to centre forward; Eoin Caodgan worked himself to a standstill at centre back and was easily Cork's best player, while up front only Pat Horgan and Kevin Canty threatened.

The sides were level seven times in this enthralling contest. Galway through the excellent free taking of Wade stormed into an 0-3 to 0-0 lead after four minutes but Cork recovered to lead 1-2 to 0-3 after seven following a goal by Pat Horgan from Eoin Cadogan's long delivery.

By the 10th minute Galway were back in front at 0-6 to 1-2 before Cork struck for a second goal. A superb cross field pass by Eoghan Murphy was batted first time to the net. But Galway struck back with their first major when Finian Coone pounced after the Cork defence failed to clear.

It was breathtaking hurling and the sides continued to swap points to be level on two further occasions and at half time, Cork held a two point advantage, 2-8 to 1-9.

At the start of the second half Canning landed two points and when Kavanagh flashed home a goal to ease the westerners two points in front, they were hurling with supreme confidence.

The pace of the game was unrelenting as play swung from end to end and only a wonder save by James Skehill denied Eoghan Murphy a goal. At the other end O'Halloran saved superbly from Conor Kavanagh, and with five minutes remaining the sides were locked together at 2-14 apiece.

Cork pinned Galway in their own half in search of the winning scores but they were denied by another wonder save by Skehill from John Halbert before substitute Stephen White gave the Munster champions what looked to be the winning lead with a point in injury time.

However Galway were not to be denied and Karril Wade tied the game for the seventh time with a point from that rather dubious close in free to send the game into extra time. It was all Galway from there to the final whistle, and despite shooting six wides in a row, goals by Barry Hanley and Wade helped them to a 4-17 to 2-17 lead at the end of the first period.

Cork were out on their feet and Galway held the upper hand throughout the second period with Skehill again saving brilliantly from sub Brian Moylan before the final whistle brought an end to a classic contest.

Scorers: Galway: K. Wade 1-6 (0-4 free, 0-1 65); J. Canning 0-7 (0-2f); C. Kavanagh (1-2); F. Coone, B. Hanley (1-0 each); K. Hynes, S. Glynn (0-2 each); K. Kilkenny, N. Kelly (0-1 each). Cork: P. Horgan (1-3); P. Cronin (0-7 (0-6 frees); C. O'Neill (1-0); C. Naughton (0-3); K. Canty, L. Desmond, E. Murphy, S. White, S. O'Neill (0-1 each).

GALWAY: J. Skehill; A. Leech, P. Loughnane, C. O'Donovan; M. Ryan, J. Lee, G. Mahon; K. Kilkenny, A. Harte; S. Glynn, K. Hynes, F. Coone; N. Kelly, J. Canning, K. Wade.

Subs: D. Kennedy for Loughnane (20); C. Kavanagh for Kelly (ht); J. Greene for Coone (40); B. Hanley for Harte (50); E. Collins for Glynn (53).

CORK: K. O'Halloran; J. O'Callaghan, E. Dillon, C. O'Driscoll; S. O'Neill, E. Cadogan, A. Ryan; L. Desmond, A. Mannix; P. Cronin, K. Canty, C. Naughton; P. Horgan, E. Murphy, C. O'Neill.

Subs: J. Halbert for Mannix (15); F. O'Leary for C. O'Neill (40); S. White for Desmond (50); S. Moylan for O'Leary (55). L. Desmond for Halbert (65); B. Moylan for Desmond (70); M. Walsh for Ryan (75).

Ref: J McGrath (Westmeath).

Turning Point

THERE were so many it's difficult to pick one out. The crucial one from a Cork point of view was when Pat Horgan's shot came back off the upright in extra time.

Talking Point

THE decision of referee James McGrath to award a 20 metre free to Galway four minutes into injury time. A massive call, particularly after the fourth official had signalled two minutes of added time.

They Said

Galway manager Vincent Mullen: "Those who stayed away missed a classic game of hurling. It could have gone any way but I am delighted that we had more in the tank for the extra time."

Cork Manager Sean O'Gorman: "We had chances to win it in normal time, but took the wrong options. We had a couple of chances for points but didn't take them and paid the price."

Ref Watch

JAMES McGrath controlled the game well but it was an easy task with two sporting teams. But the free for the equalising point in the 64th minute was a huge call.

Man of the Match

THERE were a host of players in contention but the Galway goalkeeper James Skehill deserved the accolade for three magnificent saves he made to deny Cork certain goals at crucial stages.

What Next?

AN All-Ireland final between Galway and Dublin on September 9th in Croke Park. It will be the first meeting between the teams in the final since 1972 when Galway won 2-9 to 1-10.

Bud Wiser

They are playing the U21 All-Ireland Final on Sunday week alongside the Camogie All-Ireland Final.  So there is a good day out and you get to see the ladies as well.   Why not the same with football though? 

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2007, 07:38:10 PM
both sides were missing a few- but galway looked seriously good with canning literally unmarkable. with canning and wade they'd cause big problems for most senior defences let alone u21. dublin full back line is probably dublins achilles heel

yep, nail on the head there. The thoughts of Danny Webster, who is no more a corner back (actually played center-forward when this crop were minor) having to man-mark either Kerril Wade or Conor Kavanagh, does not inspire confidence.

Why was Kavanagh only a sub? He was great when he came on and I recall him being one of the stars of that team when minor. Canning is pure class. Not just his hurling, but his temperment also. He gets savage treatment from opposition players time and time again, and never gets protection from referees, yet he just gets on with it. Hes still a little bit on the heavy side, but it doesn't seem to be affecting him in the slightest. Good to see Skehill reproducing some of that minor form also. Senior came a little too soon for him this year but I think he showed he is still more than capable of getting there eventually.

No Andrew Keary? At least I didn't hear mention of him (I only caught it on telly and missed most of the first half). Wasn't he captain of that side at minor level? I remember that minor game clearly, down in Portlaoise. Credit to Cork. They have come on a tonne since the mauling they got that night. And though Cathal Naughton has struggled to make any kind of meaningful impact at senior level, he is more than decent when playing under-21, and has been all year.

Will be an interesting final, but theres no way in hell that Dublin full-back line can contain Canning, Wade and (I expect) Kavanagh.