Hurling Helmets

Started by Star Spangler, August 22, 2007, 01:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Spangler

What are the main manufacturers of hurling helmets?
Are any of these Irish based?
If so, do the GAA allow the use of foreign manufactured helmets?
Which helmets are the best and why?
What is missing from the best helmets that would make them better?

I'm just doing a wee bit of research.  ;)

Gnevin

We have a hurling section ! ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

johnneycool

Quote from: Star Spangler on August 22, 2007, 01:14:50 PM
What are the main manufacturers of hurling helmets?
Are any of these Irish based?
If so, do the GAA allow the use of foreign manufactured helmets?
Which helmets are the best and why?
What is missing from the best helmets that would make them better?

I'm just doing a wee bit of research.  ;)

At the minute Micro are the main hurley helmet manufacturer. They're a Cork based outfit and i think the helmet is made there but as to  where the plastics, steel are actually formed, I couldn't tell you.
I think there's a few other companies who make helmets, SES and maybe Auzurri but I'm not sure.
Christy Goodwin used to make a helmet more akin to an old fashioned motorbike helmet with no chin guard. Paul McKillen of Antrim is probably the most renouned for wearing one but you don't see too many on the go now.

Historically the Cooper helmet is the most preferred but it's actually an ice hockey helmet imported from North America. I think Cooper have stopped making them and you'll behard pressed to get your hands on one.

Star Spangler

Why aren't they made in county colours?

dodo

Mycro helmets are designed by Cork centre-back Ronan Curran.

Click here for the skinny from the Mycro site.

http://www.mycrosport.com/comments.html

You'll get some feedback from hurling folk here

http://www.kilkennycats.com/phpBB2/archive.php/o_t__t_1954__helmets.html

Star Spangler

Balboa

Mycro is best one at the minute, i had an azzuri one last year but didnt like it. Mycro is far more comfortable.

Star Spangler

I see you can still get new Cooper helmets off ebay.  Are you still allowed to use them? They're not cheap though. 

aontroim

Had heard mention that Coyle Hamilton (GAA Insurers) were considering bringing in a clause about hurling helmets having to pass safety standards.

Balboa

Quote from: aontroim on August 24, 2007, 02:19:57 PM
Had heard mention that Coyle Hamilton (GAA Insurers) were considering bringing in a clause about hurling helmets having to pass safety standards.

What safety standards? I know the Mycro ones have British Standard marks on them.

Balboa

Quote from: hardstation on August 24, 2007, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: Balboa on August 24, 2007, 02:35:12 PM
Quote from: aontroim on August 24, 2007, 02:19:57 PM

What safety standards? I know the Mycro ones have British Standard marks on them.
The aul Christy Goodwin ones had that too.

You needed a head the size of a baby elephant to look half normal in those things...........

Balboa

Quote from: hardstation on August 24, 2007, 02:53:13 PM
The visor was pure dung too. I remember Paul Mc Killen didn't wear his. A wild looking helmet.

I think the visor took on the form of an American Footballers visor/faceguard.

Whitehair

The new mycro helmets are a good job, light and comfortable. I only wore a cooper once in a match, got an inocuous knock, helmet split, 8 staples. :-\

Balboa

Quote from: hardstation on August 24, 2007, 03:02:33 PM
I remember taking a soft blow to the visor and it f**king dented by about 3 cm.
On the point of helmets and grinds my gears.
Feckers that come up behind you and give you a whack over the head for a laugh (in training) and say "sure you're wearing a helmet". Aye but my brain's bouncing about my head you cnut. >:(

Was playing in a match this year and a fella in the opposition got a belt through the helmet, he went down with blood coming from his head and our manager shouted "why is he lying down hes hes wearing a f**king helmet", reading between the lines....if your wearing a helmet anything goes

Balboa

Quote from: hardstation on August 24, 2007, 03:23:57 PM
Also remember playing against Gort na Mona and a high ball came in. I caught it and about 2 seconds later the boy I was marking near took the head of me. I wasn't wearing a helmet. I dropped to the ground and the referee put your boy off. Joe French shouts on to the pitch, "Fcuk off ref, he should be wearing a helmet".
I was gonna belt him in the head and say the same thing.

What do you expect from a pig but a grunt.......