The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2015, 11:10:27 AM
Does anyone from the free state (beside LaoisLad) call it Londonderry?

The irony!

T Fearon

Same argument with Good Friday Agreement (Nationalists) Belfast Agreement (Unionists). Never change

omaghjoe

Quote from: T Fearon on July 24, 2015, 09:07:09 PM
Same argument with Good Friday Agreement (Nationalists) Belfast Agreement (Unionists). Never change

WTF is that about anyway?

Windmill abu

This Derry name confusion doesn't only apply to the North West corner of County Londonderry, In the South East Corner of said County Ballinderry Shamrocks make up a large portion of their team with Tyrone based players (obviously to achieve an unfair advantage over their rivals). They should probably change their name to Ballin/London/derry/Tyrone Shamrocks to be more accurate.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

T Fearon

Can't agree on anything,names flags etc.It is quite amusing when unionists/Protestants in conversation with one,always refer to Derry,and the feeling is palpable that they don't want to cause any offence (in my case I am unmoved by place names or flags),and local broadcasters have written policies to alternate references between Derry/Londonderry.

The late Gerry Anderson, a native of the place, coined the name Stroke City, not only brilliantly witty but highlighting the absurdity of such mundane issues.

tiempo

Quote from: T Fearon on July 24, 2015, 09:07:09 PM

Is it not officially called The Agreement?

T Fearon

Good Friday Agreement by nationalists Belfast Agreement by Unionists mostly because they do not want to debase the name of an important day in the Religious Calendar.

tiempo

Quote from: T Fearon on July 24, 2015, 11:40:42 PM
Good Friday Agreement by nationalists Belfast Agreement by Unionists mostly because they do not want to debase the name of an important day in the Religious Calendar.

It's called The Agreement though

Sidney

Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2015, 11:10:27 AM
Does anyone from the free state (beside LaoisLad) call it Londonderry?
Londonderek Mooney.

theticklemister

Quote from: ziggysego on July 24, 2015, 01:12:54 PM
Derry, Londonderry, it doesn't really matter. Much better than that Derry-Londonderry crap that some people have adopted in recent years.

Yer correct there. It has become the norm in the city recently.

What is feckin worse is...... 'Legenderry'.

But if unionists people want to call it Londonderry, I have no problem with that as it is what they were brought up to call it. By the sounds of it , a lot of ye take huge offence to it. I don't see why.

Mayo4Sam14

Its called f**king Derry, end of, IMO we should start calling London Derrylondon for the laugh
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

omaghjoe

Quote from: theticklemister on July 25, 2015, 01:31:56 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 24, 2015, 01:12:54 PM
Derry, Londonderry, it doesn't really matter. Much better than that Derry-Londonderry crap that some people have adopted in recent years.

Yer correct there. It has become the norm in the city recently.

What is feckin worse is...... 'Legenderry'.

But if unionists people want to call it Londonderry, I have no problem with that as it is what they were brought up to call it. By the sounds of it , a lot of ye take huge offence to it. I don't see why.

I completely agree with you two gentlemen, at the end of the day who cares. I know people that call it Londonderry and that's fine if thats what they call it. If they where brought up to call it that, what can they do about it, why should they change and why would you take offence at it? If they are using it to rile people up, then there is one way to ensure that they will continue to use it, and that is get riled at them. And in any case for the listener it is impossible to tell which of the two types the speaker is, so its best to just let them tear away.

omaghjoe

Just remembered I was in India a few years ago and came upon this brand of confectionery

I nearly bust my sides laughing. I tried explaining it to a restaurant owner, realising how stupid the whole thing must have sounded half way through. He was polite tho, and let me know that Indians could keep us all happy by telling me "We also have Dairy Milk if you like"

theticklemister

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 25, 2015, 04:00:22 AM
Just remembered I was in India a few years ago and came upon this brand of confectionery

I nearly bust my sides laughing. I tried explaining it to a restaurant owner, realising how stupid the whole thing must have sounded half way through. He was polite tho, and let me know that Indians could keep us all happy by telling me "We also have Dairy Milk if you like"

Definitely this has all the hallmarks of a Tyronie!!!!!!!!

LCohen

If the peope of the city want it called Derry then it should be officially called Derry
If the people of the county want it called Derry then it should be officially be called Derry.

The rules don't make it straight forward but there is nothing to stop the legislators enacting the required legislation.

In the mean time most people get on with saying Derry and not getting too fussed when officialdom uses Londonderry as it is the current offical name.

It would be good to get it sorted but there are many more important things to worry about and only a fool would get distracted from those by this