The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Derry, Londonderry, it doesn't really matter. Much better than that Derry-Londonderry crap that some people have adopted in recent years.
Testing Accessibility

screenexile

Quote from: ziggysego on July 24, 2015, 01:12:54 PM
Derry, Londonderry, it doesn't really matter. Much better than that Derry-Londonderry crap that some people have adopted in recent years.

Ah you Tyronies don't understand our persecution throughout the world!!! It does matter and I wouldn't be a bigtime Republican or anything but it's nearly the most horrible word I can hear.

When you hear somebody nearly overemphasise the London bit you know they are doing it to rub your nose in it. To be fair when the inbreds over the Sperrins do it I don't get annoyed really because underneath it all they know and wouldn't say Londonderry to anybody else. But when you hear a Unionist head in work or on the other end of the phone spout Londonderry it really gets to me!!

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2015, 01:35:26 PMAh you Tyronies don't understand our persecution throughout the world!!!

Aren't you Canadian?  ;D

screenexile

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 24, 2015, 02:05:10 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2015, 01:35:26 PMAh you Tyronies don't understand our persecution throughout the world!!!

Aren't you Canadian?  ;D

Dual Citizenship!!

Are you not away to the golf yet??!!

Gabriel_Hurl

Tomorrow

I'll be in sunny Ardboe next week

screenexile

Jesus you spent 20 odd years trying to leave Tyrone and now you want to come back?!!

OakleafCounty

Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2015, 11:10:27 AM
Does anyone from the free state (beside LaoisLad) call it Londonderry?

Alan shatter called it Londonderry in the Dáil a couple of years ago.

From the Bunker

It's always naturally Derry to me and anyone I know. If I said to someone in Mayo I'm heading up to LondonDerry on the weekend - I get some quare looks! They'd tell me I was watching to much UTV and cop meself on!

OakleafCounty

While there's more pressing issues right now I definitly support the council in this. Some of the quotes from unionist councillors are hilarious. One said that the city was built by stonemasons from London. No stonemasons from London built a small walled city that's no bigger than most villages using rubble from the previous seetlement (Doire) that they destroyed. While it won't be successful it's good that they show opposition to that slavename. 

5 Sams

I have quite a few protestant friends and I have yet to hear any of them call it Londonderry. It's only the real bitter fcukers that call it that with emphasis on the London.....
The Aristocrat Years

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2015, 01:35:26 PM

Ah you Tyronies don't understand our persecution throughout the world!!! It does matter and I wouldn't be a bigtime Republican or anything but it's nearly the most horrible word I can hear.

When you hear somebody nearly overemphasise the London bit you know they are doing it to rub your nose in it. To be fair when the inbreds over the Sperrins do it I don't get annoyed really because underneath it all they know and wouldn't say Londonderry to anybody else. But when you hear a Unionist head in work or on the other end of the phone spout Londonderry it really gets to me!!

Was Ballinascreen renamed Draperstown around the same time?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2015, 03:10:29 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2015, 01:35:26 PM

Was Ballinascreen renamed Draperstown around the same time?

Nope Londonderry predates Draperstown by 200 odd years!!!

Another strange one but Draperstown would be more widely accepted as the name of the town. Although in GAA circles calling Ballinascreen Draperstown is akin to the Tyronies saying Londonderry... if you do it you're a ****!!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

As a Derry City man born and bred I have to say I've never heard a local person Protestant or catholic use Londonderry. Maybe it's because I alwAys meet Protestants in a situation where they are in the minority, but I've genuinely never heard them say Londonderry. The only time I've heard it in workplace was from a Protestant Belfast lad and an east donegal Protestant lady whilst talking on phone to customers etc

orangeman

general_lee

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 24, 2015, 04:22:03 PM
As a Derry City man born and bred I have to say I've never heard a local person Protestant or catholic use Londonderry. Maybe it's because I alwAys meet Protestants in a situation where they are in the minority, but I've genuinely never heard them say Londonderry. The only time I've heard it in workplace was from a Protestant Belfast lad and an east donegal Protestant lady whilst talking on phone to customers etc
I've heard Catholics use it, albeit in an official context. Clients have called in the past and you know fine rightly they're Catholic but for some reason use the L word. My family would have always used/still use Co Derry for their address.