IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2012, 05:06:03 PM
Quote from: nifan on June 06, 2012, 04:58:38 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2012, 04:53:46 PM
You can't actually prove that, being Uncle Tom's they would'nt want to offend their British colleagues.

I cant prove what? Im not the one who claimed that a load of other people must be lying. Ive no idea what every catholic who plays for NI thinks - you seem to reckon you've a handle on their thoughts but i doubt its based on much.

No I don't but you can't prove McClean is lying, given the background of a lot of these players it is a sure bet he is right in most cases and they won't want to upset anyone as they see it as part of career development. The vast majority of Catholics in NI would support the ROI and at best would be uncaring or marginally interested in NI but more likely would like to see them hammered every time. So I reckon McClean is closer to the truth than you want to believe. For me personally it wouldn't matter what NI do as I would not support a team representing the six counties, I see my self as an Irish citizen and support the ROI. It is good to see fellow Northerners getting a chance with the National team. An d I respect your right to support NI. A unified team would be great but in the current claimate unacceptable to a lot of NI fans.

What climate is that? Is it the climate created by the FAI by reason of their approaches to players who have represented NI at under-age level and who were born in Northern Ireland ?

IMO the FAI have made the creation  of an all Ireland team by virtue of an amalgamation of NI and ROI teams  at this stage almost nigh impossible.

You won't support the NI football team because ....well......put simply.... they are Northern Ireland . That is what I glean from your post. Looks like the IFA , no matter what they do , are fighting a losing battle with you.

You respect the right of NIfan to support the team. I suspect that he supports the team because he was born and probably brought up in NI.

Myles Na G.

You can't actually prove that, being Uncle Tom's they would'nt want to offend their British colleagues.

I cant prove what? Im not the one who claimed that a load of other people must be lying. Ive no idea what every catholic who plays for NI thinks - you seem to reckon you've a handle on their thoughts but i doubt its based on much.

No I don't but you can't prove McClean is lying, given the background of a lot of these players it is a sure bet he is right in most cases and they won't want to upset anyone as they see it as part of career development. The vast majority of Catholics in NI would support the ROI and at best would be uncaring or marginally interested in NI but more likely would like to see them hammered every time. So I reckon McClean is closer to the truth than you want to believe. For me personally it wouldn't matter what NI do as I would not support a team representing the six counties, I see my self as an Irish citizen and support the ROI. It is good to see fellow Northerners getting a chance with the National team. An d I respect your right to support NI. A unified team would be great but in the current claimate unacceptable to a lot of NI fans.
You prefer to support 26 counties of your country rather than 6? I'm an Irish citizen too. I support both the 26 and the 6.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 06, 2012, 09:01:49 PM

You prefer to support 26 counties of your country rather than 6? I'm an Irish citizen too. I support both the 26 and the 6.

So what. You support them and he doesn't. Any man on this island can hold a Irish passport and can aspire to be governed under the tri-colour. If they are that way inclined they will most likely support roi.

Wildweasel74

As far as i can see it FAI is trying to step on nobody toes even more than has happened already, alot are giving out that these players go through Ni underage set up, and catholics then jump ship once someones ability has come to the fore! i can imagine the uproar if FAI chased these players at an early age or if FAI can trawl through the pick of northern players looking to play underage for the republic, would that situation no even be worse from Ni point of view, there doesn't seen to be much giving out about Derry city playing down south when they are in northern ireland, alot of people seem to be glad they are not in the league up here with all the crowd trouble that may follow such a situation!!
Half of the France team could play for other counties, 2 brothers, boatang play for germany and Ghana, i think the problem here relates to players playing for the republic through their passort instead of relatives living down south! though to many catholics both in the north and down south would prefer an all Irish team, although u wouldn't think it with some of the abuse the northerners get at Gaelic games over the past few years, the UK partially bailing them out is hard for many to stomach and of course  once the banter starts, we don't let them forget it!! for the foreseeable future things will not change, players will still opt for the republic, NI will complain to no avail. Do you really want players who do not want to play for u, or hoping that with that option cut off they will play for Northern Ireland grudgingly! if the option was cut off i still do not think you will increase your player base!!

MW

Quote from: deiseach on June 06, 2012, 01:10:26 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2012, 12:58:14 PM
I have just read the article quoting Keith Gillespie carried in the Belfast Telegraph, the most onesided peice of propaganda I've ever read...not even poor journalism.

Link here. Some piece all right. James McClean says what his problem with NI is. The response is to say that he's the one with the problem. The lack of self-awareness is breathtaking.

To be fair, McClean has flip-flopped about all over the place with regards to what his "problem" or "reason" is. And he's made some rather prejudiced statements too.

MW

Quote from: eddie d on June 06, 2012, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: nifan on June 05, 2012, 07:21:40 PM
Quote from: eddie d on June 05, 2012, 06:00:40 PM
Gillespie must have forgotten everything that happened Lennon, and he must think songs in the stands aren't sectarian and he must think david healys marching band(?) celebration is quite welcoming to catholics..

what songs are these?
also healys flute celebration -  ive never seen him doing a flute celebration at wp. He made a flute gesture will having a bit of craic with some celtic fans while at a fulham game when he was getting a bit of banter from the celtic fans and was asked what he was doing on the twelth - is that really too relevant to windsor park?

i never mentioned wp in my post...even so the gesture still wouldnt encourage many catholics to play alongside him.. is he/was he not the captain?

That's some quite stunning straw-clutching there. "Catholics" would be reluctant to play for NI because four years ago at a club friendly match in London four years ago, David Healy briefly mimiced the playig of a musical instrument in response to some fans singing a "question" at him. You've really taken the biscuit there.

Are you going to answer nifan's question? "What songs are these"?

tyrone exile

What i don't understand is why NI fans expect players like Mc Clean to play for them? you would swear they never knew the troubles existed and that most catholics/nationalist don't feel comfortable in an atmosphere such as Windsor park. I for one could never bring myself to play for the Ni team, in fact id go as far as saying id play for no team if the option to play for the south was taking away. what the IFA have to realise is that players have the right to choose, they cant change a political settlement just because they are loosing potential players who probably wouldn't play for them anyway. I for one am not crying out for the removal of GSTQ or waving of union jacks at windsor park because i dont think the hostility will ever really go away in my lifetime.

trileacman

Quote from: tyrone exile on June 07, 2012, 12:04:30 AM
What i don't understand is why NI fans expect players like Mc Clean to play for them? you would swear they never knew the troubles existed and that most catholics/nationalist don't feel comfortable in an atmosphere such as Windsor park. I for one could never bring myself to play for the Ni team, in fact id go as far as saying id play for no team if the option to play for the south was taking away. what the IFA have to realise is that players have the right to choose, they cant change a political settlement just because they are loosing potential players who probably wouldn't play for them anyway. I for one am not crying out for the removal of GSTQ or waving of union jacks at windsor park because i dont think the hostility will ever really go away in my lifetime.

You probably would like the majority of the lads though. Very few have, even Lennon, resisted the urge to advance his career to a higher level in England or advertise himself to the top teams.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tyrone exile

Not if i was as talented as Mc Clean who doesnt need to be advertised on a national level, but already playing in the premiership. lets be honest playing for this current Ni team isnt going to fast track your career. And maybe im being naive that players will make decisions on their principles rather than on money.

trileacman

Quote from: tyrone exile on June 07, 2012, 12:50:25 AM
Not if i was as talented as Mc Clean who doesnt need to be advertised on a national level, but already playing in the premiership. lets be honest playing for this current Ni team isnt going to fast track your career. And maybe im being naive that players will make decisions on their principles rather than on money.

You are being naive, McClean has admitted that he would probably have played for NI had they come calling earlier in his career and before his move to Sunderland. Moving to Sunderland got their interest and he saw them as disingenuous as they couldn't have gave a f**k about him before.

As for "being as talented as McClean" I think he was lucky enough to be honest. Bought for 500 grand, far down the pecking order and but for the introduction of a fellow NI manager he mightn't have got the chance when he did. Fair play to him as he seized upon his opportunity but if you look at how long it took other internationals; Long, Fahey, Dunne, Given to carve out a name for themselves I think it would have been very likely that McClean would have seen out his Sunderland contract without much gametime.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Quote from: trileacman on June 07, 2012, 01:23:24 AM

You are being naive, McClean has admitted that he would probably have played for NI had they come calling earlier in his career and before his move to Sunderland. Moving to Sunderland got their interest and he saw them as disingenuous as they couldn't have gave a f**k about him before.

As for "being as talented as McClean" I think he was lucky enough to be honest. Bought for 500 grand, far down the pecking order and but for the introduction of a fellow NI manager he mightn't have got the chance when he did. Fair play to him as he seized upon his opportunity but if you look at how long it took other internationals; Long, Fahey, Dunne, Given to carve out a name for themselves I think it would have been very likely that McClean would have seen out his Sunderland contract without much gametime.
Bruce was the manager who signed  McLean. Bruce rated McClean and had him pencilled in for a first team debut around December/January.
It was likely that McClean would have made a similar impact under Bruce.
However, the coming of O'Neill  was auspicious for McClean's startling emergence. New manager, hype, the MON effect, Sunderland started to get results and McClean was a part of that.

nifan

McCleans talent put him where he is - NI wouldnt be so raging to have missed him if he wasnt as talented. The only luck he had was suiting what ONeil wanted to do.

We should have called him up earlier at derry - certainly before some of the dross irish league players picked due to familiarity.

trueblue1234

Quote from: MW on June 06, 2012, 11:19:15 PM
Quote from: eddie d on June 06, 2012, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: nifan on June 05, 2012, 07:21:40 PM
Quote from: eddie d on June 05, 2012, 06:00:40 PM
Gillespie must have forgotten everything that happened Lennon, and he must think songs in the stands aren't sectarian and he must think david healys marching band(?) celebration is quite welcoming to catholics..

what songs are these?
also healys flute celebration -  ive never seen him doing a flute celebration at wp. He made a flute gesture will having a bit of craic with some celtic fans while at a fulham game when he was getting a bit of banter from the celtic fans and was asked what he was doing on the twelth - is that really too relevant to windsor park?

i never mentioned wp in my post...even so the gesture still wouldnt encourage many catholics to play alongside him.. is he/was he not the captain?

That's some quite stunning straw-clutching there. "Catholics" would be reluctant to play for NI because four years ago at a club friendly match in London four years ago, David Healy briefly mimiced the playig of a musical instrument in response to some fans singing a "question" at him. You've really taken the biscuit there.

Are you going to answer nifan's question? "What songs are these"?
What ever about the rest of the arguments, that's some playing down of the incident. You make it sound like he was doing Air guitar or something. He was mimicking playing the flute which was obviously in relation to the 12th and the bands. And to try and play it down as anything less is disingenious .
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Main Street

Gillespie is entitled to his opinion and his beliefs. The quotes attributed to him show a scant understanding of eligibility and national identity.
"I'm of the firm belief that if you're born in Northern Ireland you should not have the option of playing for the Republic,"
Considering that nationality is the core foundation of FIFA international eligibility and considering  NI is a dual national statelet, Keith's beliefs are ignorant on all levels.

McClean should have spoken for himself and his attitudes to the IFA set up. There are nationalist players from his home town who play for NI and who are respected in their home town for their achievements,  whether they feel comfortable or not  in the IFA  is not a big enough issue for them to prevent them from playing. I presume McGinn and McCourt are as proud of their national identity as McClean. What Gillespie and others don't respect or understand is that there are nationalist players who want to play for the FAI, they regard the FAI as the team that represents their national identity and the FIFA rules are unequivocal.

nifan

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 07, 2012, 08:37:57 AM
What ever about the rest of the arguments, that's some playing down of the incident. You make it sound like he was doing Air guitar or something. He was mimicking playing the flute which was obviously in relation to the 12th and the bands. And to try and play it down as anything less is disingenious .

Of course it was to do with the 12th - someone had just shouted ~"what where you doing on the 12th?" at him