IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

What was the general thoughts of Kerr when managing Ireland.
I always though he came across well - but I cant really remember what the ROI fans thought of him.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: nifan on October 14, 2011, 11:36:59 AM
I always though he came across well - but I cant really remember what the ROI fans thought of him.
I think he struggled due to his profile, i.e. he had not 'done it' before at senior level so was undermined quite a lot by the players.  Had some good moments but I will not forget us letting in last min goal in Israel and blowing a 2 goal lead at home against Israel which would have set us on our way to 2006 WC.

Billys Boots

On the money, he's the opposite to Trapp; he'd rather that his team played well and lost than play badly and get a result.  He could do well at NI; in that he'll put good systems in place - his failing was in convincing his players to do what he wanted them to do, as opposed to what they instinctively wanted to do (they didn't 'buy' his way). 

By the way, Estonia lost 2-0 in the Faroes in their qualifying campaign.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Quote from: Doogie Browser on October 14, 2011, 12:02:41 PM
Quote from: nifan on October 14, 2011, 11:36:59 AM
I think he struggled due to his profile, i.e. he had not 'done it' before at senior level so was undermined quite a lot by the players.  Had some good moments but I will not forget us letting in last min goal in Israel and blowing a 2 goal lead at home against Israel which would have set us on our way to 2006 WC.
The points lost against Israel were sore, mainly because we had done virtually everything that a team needs to do to wrap up the full points. I don't hold that against Kerr.

Kerr has been making the type of noises for the past 18 months which would ingratiate him into the being acceptable for the IFA team manager job. He has managed to turn his profile from that of poacher /ogre to the perception of someone who understands us.
I think he'd do a good cautious job with the NI team. I'd be more relaxed if he was out the Faroes job for the WC qualifiers.

Main Street

I think ye lot have NOT been watching Kerr's teams very carefully.
He was good in the non competitive games but was very very cautious in the competitive games.
Do you not not remember???

France at home, played for a draw,  as soon as we lost the ball upfield, the team retreated 50 yards and formed a line.
Israel away, but at least we were one up.
Switzerland away the 1-1 draw, possibly the most boring game I have ever watched.
The must win game against the Swiss at home, no one told Kerr, he played cautious  and hoped to nick a goal.
Every underage team he was with were negative and cautious. We won things at underage but we were awful to watch.

Applesisapples

Mike Bassett is the best option I would agree but I think he may not take the job because of the IFA's treatment of previous English Employees!! :D
Seriously though Kerr is setting himself up for a kicking if he gets the job. It will only take a few poor results to start the call's for "fenian Blood".

Main Street

All the feelers from Kerr suggest he has applied for the job. 
The IFA would need their heads examined (again), if they reject him as he is clearly the best qualified applicant.
It would be good platform for Kerr to sharpen his chips, for use against the FAI.

rossie mad

McVeigh demands changes to boost NI
Friday, 25 November 2011 11:04
Former Northern Ireland player Paul McVeigh has urged the Irish Football Association to drop God Save The Queen as their national anthem and consider a move from Windsor Park.

The issue of Northern Ireland-born players declaring for the Republic of Ireland has become a problem for the IFA, with the likes of Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Dan Kearns, Paul George and James McClean all pledging themselves to the Football Association of Ireland.

While the Republic's relative success on the pitch is one explanation, personal beliefs also play a part with some players, who find it hard to reconcile their nationalist views with symbols such as the anthem.

West Belfast man McVeigh, who earned 20 caps between 1999 and 2004, has called for a change of policy from the IFA to increase their appeal to all areas of the community.

"The IFA has to make decisions if it wants to stop players from the north opting to play for the Republic and the answers are staring them in the face," the former Norwich player told the Belfast Telegraph.

"Who are the people who make decisions at IFA level and can they really say that it is a good thing for football in Northern Ireland to have the English anthem played before games?

"Northern Ireland, as long as it continues with that anthem, will not have an identity of its own and players will continue to turn to the Republic.

"I don't care if the next manager of Northern Ireland is Fabio Capello; whoever gets the job starts it with his hands tied behind his back because he will not have many of the best players from the country to choose from."

McVeigh also feels a move away from Linfield's Windsor Park could be beneficial to the national side.

He said: "I have no doubt that it is a tough decision for some players to play at Windsor Park and stand before the English national anthem at Northern Ireland internationals.

"The decision makers should sit down and ask themselves if their decision to continue with the anthem and continue playing at Windsor Park is beneficial to Northern Ireland."

michaelg

Quote from: rossie mad on November 25, 2011, 11:10:31 PM

McVeigh demands changes to boost NI
Friday, 25 November 2011 11:04
Former Northern Ireland player Paul McVeigh has urged the Irish Football Association to drop God Save The Queen as their national anthem and consider a move from Windsor Park.

The issue of Northern Ireland-born players declaring for the Republic of Ireland has become a problem for the IFA, with the likes of Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Dan Kearns, Paul George and James McClean all pledging themselves to the Football Association of Ireland.

While the Republic's relative success on the pitch is one explanation, personal beliefs also play a part with some players, who find it hard to reconcile their nationalist views with symbols such as the anthem.

West Belfast man McVeigh, who earned 20 caps between 1999 and 2004, has called for a change of policy from the IFA to increase their appeal to all areas of the community.

"The IFA has to make decisions if it wants to stop players from the north opting to play for the Republic and the answers are staring them in the face," the former Norwich player told the Belfast Telegraph.

"Who are the people who make decisions at IFA level and can they really say that it is a good thing for football in Northern Ireland to have the English anthem played before games?

"Northern Ireland, as long as it continues with that anthem, will not have an identity of its own and players will continue to turn to the Republic.

"I don't care if the next manager of Northern Ireland is Fabio Capello; whoever gets the job starts it with his hands tied behind his back because he will not have many of the best players from the country to choose from."

McVeigh also feels a move away from Linfield's Windsor Park could be beneficial to the national side.

He said: "I have no doubt that it is a tough decision for some players to play at Windsor Park and stand before the English national anthem at Northern Ireland internationals.

"The decision makers should sit down and ask themselves if their decision to continue with the anthem and continue playing at Windsor Park is beneficial to Northern Ireland."
Read this in the paper yesterday - Agree with him on the anthem issue but not sure that the move from windsor park is as crucial

DuffleKing

That is something that's needed said for a long time. Fair play to him

Forever Green

Death threat arriving for Mr McVeigh soon I would say. Completely agree with him and at least he has came out and said it. Fair play to him

Feckitt

Irish Independent & Belfast Telegraph have both today referred to Northern born players declaring for the Republic as 'Asylum seekers'

Wildweasel74

yeah i see Keith Gillespie giving out about McClean, sure what would Gillespie know about playing for a tainted team, when i was young and foolish and had no sense, all i wanted to do was play soccer, didn't matter who for just as long as i got a game, nearest club to me was coagh on the Derry Tyrone border, i wanted to play for them at underage, little was i to know that at that stage coagh wasn't a place for a young catholic lad to kick ball, even now am not sure if a Irish catholic has ever played for them, back in the nineties certainly not!! Gillespie never had them problems to deal with and so he doesn't really know what hes talking about!!. McClean a Derry man and since they got no problem with Derry city out of the road and playing down south i can see why they complain when anybody from Derry wants to play for the republic. Keith doesn't understand why nobody wouldn't want to put on the northern ireland jersey, suppose Keith its the part of north you live in and what you seen from a sporting view growing up, after Neil Lennon i said they be no way anybody want to play for a team with supporters like that, and guess what they don't!!!the wording of defector, asylum seeker is pretty pathetic, if it was northern ireland or nothing, you wouldn't gain any players, they would still not play for you!!growing up all i wanted to do was play soccer, it didint happen, but ended up playing years of Gaelic and a bit of rugby. Things have changed for the better though, the young lads around were i live play soccer with teams in cookstown and magherafelt, none with the team i previously mentioned, but again no body want to play for northern ireland, all would play for the republic!! about 45% of the north's population would not play for them and support that other Irish team!! Keith doesn't understand why, i don't think he ever will!!

Canalman

Watched a bit of the Holland game at the weekend. Didn't recognize any NI players bar Roy Carroll who came on at half time I think.
The pundits and commentary  for the game were hilarious .................... positively purring if 3 passes strung together by NI (didn't happen too often).

Wtf were Holland doing playing them so close to the Euros.

Main Street

Quote from: Canalman on June 05, 2012, 05:10:46 PM
Wtf were Holland doing playing them so close to the Euros.
They wanted an easy winnable game to send everybody off in a good mood before the Finals.