Do you know of a genuine fan not getting an AI ticket?

Started by Barney, August 18, 2007, 12:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddypastit

Based on 25 years experience, a genuine supporter who is preprared to make the effort will never not get a ticket.  Now if you just expect one to turn up because you either went to all the matches before now or because you are a great clubman but didn't actually do anything to get that ticket... well then of course you might be left short, but then you didn't make the effort.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SouthArmaghBandit

Quote from: paddypastit on August 20, 2007, 09:18:13 AM
Based on 25 years experience, a genuine supporter who is preprared to make the effort will never not get a ticket.  Now if you just expect one to turn up because you either went to all the matches before now or because you are a great clubman but didn't actually do anything to get that ticket... well then of course you might be left short, but then you didn't make the effort.
Ageed. Real GAA men always get tickets. Now don't get me started on wemen going to games!  :-[

his holiness nb

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2007, 01:16:48 AM
There were very few club players (never mind other members) at the McKenna cup and League games. They may be big into their club, but surely if they're big fans of their county, they'll travel to games all year round, and not just when the sun is shining? If not, would it be a very bold assumption that they are fairweather supporters of their county (note that i did not say fairweather GAA supporters!)?

But dont forget that many league / O'Byrne / McKenna matches clash with club games which makes it impossible for the players involved.

I think it would reflect worse on a club player to let his team down to go watch the county.
I missed two Dublin games this year in the league and a few O'Byrne due to club commitments.

Basically, i'd be all in favour of some kind of season ticket system. In a county like Monaghan, i doubt you'd get more that 1,000-2,000 people would pay for a ticket for the whole league. Set up such a system and then these people get a guaranteed choice to buy tickets for all chamionship games. Is that not fair?

Thats what they do with the Parnell pass in Dublin and its an excellent scheme. Especially when you play with a club outside Dublin and therefore wouldnt be an "active" member at the old Dublin club come the big games.

Secondly, ithink the whole distribution of tickets for the AI final is flawed. Why should tickets go to every club in the country? Tickets should be split between the counties involved. Anyone here have any issues with that?
100% spot on.This would probably decrease the amount of tickets being sold on at ridiculous prices too.

Ask me holy bollix

Hound

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 20, 2007, 09:45:34 AM
Secondly, ithink the whole distribution of tickets for the AI final is flawed. Why should tickets go to every club in the country? Tickets should be split between the counties involved. Anyone here have any issues with that?
100% spot on.This would probably decrease the amount of tickets being sold on at ridiculous prices too.

Totally agree.

If you don't get an All Ireland ticket from your club, then its all about who you know - nothing to do with what kind of supporter you are.

The amount of neutrals at All Ireland final also means the occassion is always a little bit less than it would have been if full of partisan supporters.

Declan

Agree with Hound and his holiness here. As i'm not a member of a club in Dublin anymore I'm struggling at the moment to get a ticket for Sunday never mind the final

orangeman

The purchase of a national league ticket would be ok in principle but what's to stop a person with lots of money buying 3 or 4 of them  - surely the acid test is if you are present at the matches ?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

With possibily the exception of Dublin fans, I think any genuine GAA fan will be able to lay his hands on tickets for any match.

The ticket stub idea is good in principle, but whats to stop someone collecting other peoples stubs and using them??
Tbc....

orangeman

That's the point I was making - it's a difficult one alright - but I do agree that most people will be able to get tickets. The bit that annoys me is the huge sums paid on Ebay for tickets.

Maguire01

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 20, 2007, 09:45:34 AM
There were very few club players (never mind other members) at the McKenna cup and League games. They may be big into their club, but surely if they're big fans of their county, they'll travel to games all year round, and not just when the sun is shining? If not, would it be a very bold assumption that they are fairweather supporters of their county (note that i did not say fairweather GAA supporters!)?

But dont forget that many league / O'Byrne / McKenna matches clash with club games which makes it impossible for the players involved.

Is this really the case all over? Do club games clash with National League games? I didn't think this was the case - anyone else outside of Dublin have any insight into this?

Quote from: orangeman on August 20, 2007, 10:29:25 AM
The purchase of a national league ticket would be ok in principle but what's to stop a person with lots of money buying 3 or 4 of them  - surely the acid test is if you are present at the matches ?

Well if they want to spend that money, good for them. You'd be a bit of a gambler if you bought 3 or 4 season tickets for the entire league (probably about €100 each?) on the off-chance that your county would be in Septembers AI Final. I doubt this is a realistic problem.

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 20, 2007, 10:58:02 AM
With possibily the exception of Dublin fans, I think any genuine GAA fan will be able to lay his hands on tickets for any match.

The ticket stub idea is good in principle, but whats to stop someone collecting other peoples stubs and using them??

Again, as above, only so many people will have ticket stubs. When one is presented, it would be stamped and punched meaning it could only be used once. Surely those who went to the earlier matches wouldn't be handing over their stubs to someone else and miss a chance at AI tickets themselves. Again, i don't think this is really an issue.

Farrandeelin

To answer the question first and foremost. The answer is YES. Even people who served the club well through the years missed out in '04. Last year was the same as Deel Rovers' own system of handing out tickets. I still know people from other clubs that didn't get a ticket. I was lucky enough last year to attend all the club's games as well. Seen as I'm only 20 I haven't had the chance to do any officiating work in the club yet and never played football either. The next thing to that, imo is to give support when possible.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Armagh4SamAgain

You shuld have to b in a club to get a tickets. The GAA is based on clubs so it is.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Armaghtothebone

So who deserves a ticket.

Fan A: Goes to all 5 Championship games.
Fan B: Goes to nearly all Club games, and some Championship games.

Our club has a ticketing poilcy that rewards the Club man first. That's the way it should be.
[/quote]

Have to disagree.As long as tickets are in the hands of clubs then yes the clubs have a vested interest in rewarding "the club man." But that is not necessarily the way it should be.
What about those "County fans" who go to watch the team play in every McKenna Cup game,every National League game, home and away, all U21 Championship games,any Ulster Minor League games they can get to and of course every Championship game.
What if that fan had no interest in club football? Are you seriously telling me that come AIF Day the tea maker for the club who has'nt been to a County game in her life and has probably only heard of 3 or 4 of the players is more entitled to a ticket than a "County Fan"?

jimmykeaveney

If Dublin get to the final there will be many genuine fans who won't get a ticket. I don't know what the situation is like in other counties, but if Dublin get to the All-Ireland final, I am going to have the father and mother of a job getting a ticket. In 1995 I was extremely lucky to get one from a friend in Limerick after drawing a blank from the club. In '92 I got two from the club, and in '94 got three - a bonanza almost. Somehow I think this year will be more difficult if Dublin are there. Last year wouldn't have been a problem as I had a Parnell Park pass then, but I didn't renew it this year. i'm beginning to regret that decision now. Sunday won't be a problem, there will be tickets floating around in the pubs outside Croke Park. Apart from All-Ireland finals, there always is.

magpie seanie

QuoteHave to disagree.As long as tickets are in the hands of clubs then yes the clubs have a vested interest in rewarding "the club man." But that is not necessarily the way it should be.

Yes it is. Without the club man there'd be no county matches for the sunshiners to go and see.

Billys Boots

Quoteso it is

Some evidence that AFSA is really a Tyrone man.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...