Commentating "lower level" matches

Started by sligeach, August 15, 2007, 10:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligeach

Alright we all know the quality of commentators leaves ... a "bit" to be desired but i was particularly pissed off listening to the Nicky Rackard cup final, and to a lesser extent the Tommy Murphy cup.

Things that pissed me off.

1. The constant reminder that this was "tier 3 hurling". Every 5 minutes they'd mention it. I know its a fact but it hardly needs to be commented on all the time. Yes they are a lower grade then the other two but they deserve the same damn respect and i found the constant reminding of this disrespectful.

2. Talking about the "bad quality" all the time. Yes they had some fair points, there were some simple mistakes but they constantly went on about it and they constantly referred to the feck ups as bad quality. They don't do the same in the higher levels.

e.g >
In the Nicky Rackard -> "Oh that was a bad shot by X."
In in Liam McCarthy -> "Oh that was great vision by X but it just didn't work out ..."

They constantly make excuses for the bad feck ups by the top players but just stamp the title "bad quality" on the lower levels.

Yes i've had a few but it still pisses me off.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: sligeach on August 15, 2007, 10:36:06 PM
Alright we all know the quality of commentators leaves ... a "bit" to be desired but i was particularly pissed off listening to the Nicky Rackard cup final, and to a lesser extent the Tommy Murphy cup.

1. The constant reminder that this was "tier 3 hurling". Every 5 minutes they'd mention it. I know its a fact but it hardly needs to be commented on all the time. Yes they are a lower grade then the other two but they deserve the same damn respect and i found the constant reminding of this disrespectful.

2. Talking about the "bad quality" all the time. Yes they had some fair points, there were some simple mistakes but they constantly went on about it and they constantly referred to the feck ups as bad quality. They don't do the same in the higher levels.

e.g >
In in Liam McCarthy -> "Oh that was great vision by X but it just didn't work out ..."

They constantly make excuses for the bad feck ups by the top players but just stamp the title "bad quality" on the lower levels.

agree completely sligeach,its not just at lower level hurling aswell. It happens in football when the likes of Sligo,Cavan,Letrim players etc when one scores a marvelous point,its called a decent score,and nothing more is said
when Cooper or one of the Dubs forwards score such a point,the fuckin commentators orgasm over it.Repeated 3 or 4 f**kin times aswell.
annoys my head.

johnpower

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 15, 2007, 10:42:59 PM

e.g >

agree completely sligeach,its not just at lower level hurling aswell. It happens in football when the likes of Sligo,Cavan,Letrim players etc when one scores a marvelous point,its called a decent score,and nothing more is said
when Cooper or one of the Dubs forwards score such a point,the fuckin commentators orgasm over it.Repeated 3 or 4 f**kin times aswell.
annoys my head.

Relax . Take it up with RTE or listen to local radio

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: johnpower on August 15, 2007, 10:45:58 PM

e.g >

annoys my head.

No i choose to be angry about it on GAAboard.

johnpower

Thats good . I agree with your point but see no hope of RTE changing . The extent of the coverage of so called lower profile games is very poor as is the the knowledge of players . What can we as GAA fans do to get RTE to improve their act . ?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: johnpower on August 15, 2007, 10:54:19 PM
Thats good . I agree with your point but see no hope of RTE changing . The extent of the coverage of so called lower profile games is very poor as is the the knowledge of players . What can we as GAA fans do to get RTE to improve their act . ?

agree that there is no hope of RTE changing it,dont think they care too much what those of us from lower profile and lower population counties think to be honest.
what can we do to change it?im sure if the RTE were contacted enmasse(Thousands of GAA members) they would be willing to change elements of their GAA coverage,its not something that would be easily organised though.

johnpower

Can county boards or Croke park do anything ?.Without competition I suppose emailing RTE might help

sligeach

annoys my head.

Yeah i forgot to mention that. That really gets to me.

Certain players/counties are just showered in praise no matter what they do.

orangeman

Northern Sound is great for a quality commentary.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 15, 2007, 10:48:57 PM
Quote from: johnpower on August 15, 2007, 10:45:58 PM

e.g >

annoys my head.

No i choose to be angry about it on GAAboard.

Aye, and if Graham Geraghty takes a shit then it is truely the greatest shite that has ever been known to man. What an amazing talent he is. If a anyone else takes a shite then it is only a smelly auld shite.

Denn Forever

Now don't lower the tone Myles. And are you for real orangemen??
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AhFeckRef

One that sticks in my mind from a few years ago from sunday game analysis was something as follows:  ::)

Leitrim deploys Declan Maxwell as a tall target man at full forward and he cleaned out the opposition full back:

"Leitrim are a one trick team and all they knew was route one"

Kerry deploys Donaghy as a tall tarket man at full forward and he cleaned out the opposition full back:

"That was classic gaelic football strategy played at it's best"

sligeach

Quote from: AhFeckRef on August 16, 2007, 06:32:41 PM
One that sticks in my mind from a few years ago from sunday game analysis was something as follows:  ::)

Leitrim deploys Declan Maxwell as a tall target man at full forward and he cleaned out the opposition full back:

"Leitrim are a one trick team and all they knew was route one"

Kerry deploys Donaghy as a tall tarket man at full forward and he cleaned out the opposition full back:

"That was classic gaelic football strategy played at it's best"

HA! Exactly

ONeill

Why do so many players score from 'an impossible angle'? Sure that's impossible.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2007, 09:05:20 PM
Why do so many players score from 'an impossible angle'? Sure that's impossible.

It's quite common for players to score from an acute angle, yet you never hear of anyone scoring from a right angle or an obtuse angle ;)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties