Do culchies deserve respect ?

Started by Mike Sheehy, August 13, 2007, 05:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

From www.dubsforum.tk

QuoteDublin vs. Mayo 2006 represented a kind of 'Damascus' moment in my attitude towards culchies. You see, as an average GAA and Dublin supported, I justified the title 'genuine supporter' by regularly standing in the rain at Parnell Park (while Dublin were playing!) and volunteering as a teenager to steward opening matches in Croke Park.

I have fond memories of cheering for most counties, especially if they were playing against Kerry, Meath, and of late Kildare. All in all, I shared a laugh with 'most' of my fellow countrymen. I took them at face value and when, down through the years, they moved into the neighbourhood, I immediately welcomed them as friends.

I can hear some of you already calling me naive!

Then, during last year's game, I was surrounded by fans from Louth, Roscommon, Cork, Galway and even someone from Leitrim. These people kept fairly quite until mid way through the second half when Dublin took their foot of the gas. To my horror, each and every one of them was leaping from their seats, ecstatic and foaming at the mouth as Dublin clinched defeat from the jaws of victory. I was shocked, not by the Dublin performance, but by the sudden realisation that culchies hold some sort of deep-seated grudge against the Dubs.

I asked one man what we had done to deserve such disrespect! He hid his face in shame - my anger getting the best of me, I flung my hands into the air and shouted at them "If it wasn't for the dubs you'd all be F***ing Brits."

From that point, I decided that Culchies deserve no respect and should be looked upon with distain. And, that is why I laughed when the Dublin players flung their hands into the air prior to taking a third Leinster title. In talking to other Dublin supporters, they confirmed my view that the days of showing respect was over. Our generosity down through the centuries has never been appreciated.

What do you think? Do Culchies Deserve Respect?

I especially liked this bit
QuoteI asked one man what we had done to deserve such disrespect! He hid his face in shame - my anger getting the best of me, I flung my hands into the air and shouted at them "If it wasn't for the dubs you'd all be F***ing Brits."

wtf ????

Bod Mor

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 13, 2007, 05:35:22 AM
From www.dubsforum.tk

I especially liked this bit
QuoteI asked one man what we had done to deserve such disrespect! He hid his face in shame - my anger getting the best of me, I flung my hands into the air and shouted at them "If it wasn't for the dubs you'd all be F***ing Brits."

wtf ????

Someone should have quickly replied "And vise versa!!"

QuoteOur generosity down through the centuries has never been appreciated.

I for one am guilty of not showing my appreciation of the dubs,  sacrificing a 7 point lead for us poor culchies in last years semi. ;)
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 13, 2007, 05:35:22 AM

"If it wasn't for the dubs you'd all be F***ing Brits."

Could someone please explain the above quote for me?

Its the most ignorant statement I have ever read

pintsofguinness

This shite and Gnevin talking shite on another thread and they wonder why no one likes them.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

his holiness nb

Nearly pissed myself laughing at that.
Never came across that site though, I'd say say none of the others would have him.

Abbeysider I wouldnt be holding out for a detailed explanation on that one  ;)
I presume its something to do with 1916 being in Dublin, who knows?
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 13, 2007, 09:30:36 AM
This shite and Gnevin talking shite on another thread and they wonder why no one likes them.
What shite would that be POG?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

I have never been on that site myself but that post seems like a bit of a piss take or your man is a total muppet. as for do culchies deserve respect it is a hard question to answer, like what have you do to gain respect?

from my point of view all you boys seem to do is move to Dublin, buy houses or rent them from fellow culchies and just bitch about the place, when a Dub moves down the country its a case of dublin people buying houses that 'locals' should be buying. thats my main annoyance with you boys, if you dont like it up here just move home as i think its great being a dub and live in Dublin.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Rossfan

Quote from: Tankie on August 13, 2007, 08:26:08 PM

i think its great being a dub and live in Dublin.
You need to get some ambition you loser  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Pangurban

Sure most Dubs are just Culchies, one or two generations removed. Did not take them long to forget their manners, if you are an example, fortunately we realise you are just one of an ignorant minority, despised even by genuine Dubs.

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on August 13, 2007, 08:54:47 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 13, 2007, 08:26:08 PM

i think its great being a dub and live in Dublin.
You need to get some ambition you loser  :D
So you dont think its great being a rossi and living in Roscommon?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Pangurban on August 13, 2007, 09:02:49 PM
Sure most Dubs are just Culchies, one or two generations removed. Did not take them long to forget their manners, if you are an example, fortunately we realise you are just one of an ignorant minority, despised even by genuine Dubs.

Well i would be a true dub so you need not worry. I love your bit about the Dubs losing their manners, are you really saying that culchies have manners. In the country the women are slags who think they are ladies and the man are more like cave men who walk around in gangs of men trying to be as homaphobic as possible so they arent called gay!
Grand Slam Saturday!

MauriceMalpas

The Brogan boys are culchies at heart. Their mother was from Beaufort or some other hotbed of footballing talent. Its widespread down here so its difficult for me to pinpoint. Ye should be thanking us for their inherent skills which naturally has nowt to do with their father.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: MauriceMalpas on August 13, 2007, 09:27:07 PM
The Brogan boys are culchies at heart. Their mother was from Beaufort or some other hotbed of footballing talent. Its widespread down here so its difficult for me to pinpoint. Ye should be thanking us for their inherent skills which naturally has nowt to do with their father.

Mossie Quinn is one too,His mother is from Stradbally in Laoise
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on August 13, 2007, 09:19:13 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on August 13, 2007, 09:02:49 PM

Well i would be a true dub so you need not worry. I love your bit about the Dubs losing their manners, are you really saying that culchies have manners. In the country the women are slags who think they are ladies and the man are more like cave men who walk around in gangs of men trying to be as homaphobic as possible so they arent called gay!

Spoken like a man that has never been past the Red Cow Rounabout
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on August 13, 2007, 09:44:34 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 13, 2007, 09:30:36 AM
What shite would that be POG?

QuoteGood it great being right so i can tell the anti dub  tuff eatting culchie muppets on here to  kiss my switz

tankie you're either on the wind up or you need help.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?