Dublin v Kerry all ireland SF

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 12, 2007, 03:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

The last time we played Kerry, Alan Brogan on his own kicked something like 7 wides.

magpie seanie

QuoteMagpie

Do you not think the Dublin forwards could skin the Kerry defence??? Remember Monaghan scored 1-12 and could have had 3/4 more goals as well as kicking some poor wides etc.....and Dublin scored 18 points against a Derry defence that is probably stronger than Kerrys???

Yes, I think it is possible and I did say that I thought Dublins forwards were extremely quick. I just think that all told that Kerry didn't do all that badly against Monaghan's very good and speedy forwards when you take the rustiness of the 6 week layoff into account. I think Kerry's backs will come on for the workout but as you rightly highlinght they mauy not improve enough. That's part of the glorious unpredictability of it and what stops me from being a millionaire. 0-18 points and 3-16 to previous day are serious tallies alright. Kerry will have to be disciplined from 50 metres in as Vaughan doesn't miss but Kerry's back are usually pretty disciplined.

I'm not writing Dublin off at all. just if I had to call it I'd lean towards Kerry based on some assumptions outlined. If my assumptions are wrong then Dubs will probably win.

tyroneman

It'll be a tight one alright, especially for the referee and the suits at HQ.

With no Nordie b****rd team to give decisions against it's a toss up between the Sam starved Capital Men and the Saviours of Gaelic Football as to who gets the nod.

Kerry to get a dubious penalty in first half
Whelan to stay on pitch after mowing down DOS during the pre-match parade
Donaghy to get translator to interpet the Dubs savoury lingo in the full back line
Dubs to ask for same
Steps rule suspended for 70min

All square entering injury time.................................. come on you boy in black  ;)

Hardy

Quote from: tyroneman on August 14, 2007, 01:34:15 PM

Kerry to get a dubious penalty in first half

A penalty? Against Dublin? In Croke Park?

As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me when was the last time a team was awarded a penalty against Dublin in the Championship?

tayto

Tyrone in the replay, Very dubious one it was to, thought it was a spectacular tackle from Shephen O'Shaugnessy myself but ref gave it.

DUBSFORSAM1

Agreed - a spectacular tackle by O'Shaughnessy clearly disposessing the Tyrone forward but the ref gave the penalty...

tyroneman

QuoteA penalty? Against Dublin? In Croke Park?

Ye have to give to recieve...................

Hound

Tyrone's one definitely shouldnt have been given, it was a terrific tackle by Shocko. It was dubious also whether the tackle started inside the area. But from where the ref was standing it looked a pen, so it was just one of those things.

I have a vauge recollection that Kerry got a pen against us in one of our three championship meetings this decade.

Remeber fecking Cork 2 against us in the semi-final one year, and Cleary I tihnk it was buried them both. John O'Leary was an all time great goalie, but he was brutal at penalties.

Kerry Mike

Was in Croker on Sat (spying) and think Dublin will really put it up to us on Sunday week, their forwards are fast and can score when given the space, we will need a huge improvement from our full back line on Sunday's experience. The Dublin midfield were dominant for long periods but then fell asleep near the end, Derry created some amount of chances and the Dublin Defence was very stretched at times, we need a big improvements from all our forwards, we can hardly play as bad again. McConnell had a torrid time against Bradley and hopefully he will have the same against Donaghy. Paul Galvin is in a sling and will be a huge loss to us, this game would be made for him. Darragh O'Se versus Ciaran Whelan is just one of many key battles ot look forward to.

Its hard to call it but once my head comes around from last weekend will put some thoughts down but for the moment we will enjoy our 7th Quarter final win in a row, buts here's an omen, if we beat the Dubs and thats a big if, it will be the 7th time in a row beating them in Championship football. Anyone remember who won in 1978, 1978, 1984, 1985, 2001, and 2004 ??
But being the 30th anniversary of the so called greatest game ever the hype will be massive, personally after seeing that game a few times it was error riden, but you cant beat the media for hyping it up, yesterday there were 2 pages on the Kerry Monaghan Game in the Indo but 5 on the Dublin Derry game which was already covered in the Sunday papers.

If there is one thing that gets a Kerryman's blood boiling more that than the sight of a Langers Jersey its the Jackeens Jersey.

Its the City Slickers verses the Culchies, it could be a scoring feast depending if both team go out to play or a slug fest if the physical stakes are raised. Either way it will be a battle and I cant wait...The Good Book of Yerra says bring it on.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

orangeman

I'd say are not really looking forward to the game that much.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 14, 2007, 02:02:52 PM
Paul Galvin is in a sling and will be a huge loss to us, this game would be made for him.

To echo one of your county folk: Were Kerry soft or Monaghan dirty?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 14, 2007, 12:23:23 PM
Kerry will have to be disciplined from 50 metres in as Vaughan doesn't miss but Kerry's back are usually pretty disciplined.

"doesn't miss" should be replaced with "hasn't missed".
Big difference!

Gnevin

I think who ever wins the middle of field will win this game and with Kerry only have 1 in the middle i'm leaning towards Dublin but that all depends on how Whelan ,Ryan and Cluxton preform
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

guy crouchback

Galvin will be a massive loss to Kerry in this game. With him i would fancy Kerry, he more then DOS would drive Whelan daft. without him its the dubs for me.

Gnevin

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 14, 2007, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 14, 2007, 02:02:52 PM
Paul Galvin is in a sling and will be a huge loss to us, this game would be made for him.

To echo one of your county folk: Were Kerry soft or Monaghan dirty?  ;)

Has anyone seen this sling ? We all know these what these Kerry folk are like with the cutehoorism :P
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.