Spillane goes to town on Ulster

Started by ONeill, August 12, 2007, 09:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I think Spillane is on his way out of Donnybrook - and he's desperately trying to hold on  - you can't ask the questions and answer them yourself.

Romeo

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 14, 2007, 12:00:42 PM
Monaghan panicked slightly with the finishing line in sight, whereas the Kingdom just drew on experience and plugged away. Sheehan unsettled/perplexed the Monaghan defence somewhat, insofar as he was given far too much space, and he punished them with well taken points; and there was a certain inevitability about that, but Monaghan will learn from it.

And, as for Spillane and his rot in the SW: they (the SW) have obviously complained to him that he and his column are not being talked about enough.

Agree with you there, think they did panick and had 12/13 men in there own half. Kerry's experience and options from the bench carried them through, but to me that's how it felt the whole way through, that Kerry would get there in the end!

orangeman

Yesterdays analysis in the Indo was that Monaghan that honest players on the bench, Kerry had quality on theirs.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: orangeman on August 14, 2007, 12:09:52 PM
I think Spillane is on his way out of Donnybrook - and he's desperately trying to hold on  - you can't ask the questions and answer them yourself.
Have to agree with you there Orangeman. While he is leaning over the fence puking on Ulster football, the vultures in RTE will be gathering behind him, stung by the almost universal criticism of his programme.

Elias

How many times this year did we hear Micky Harte mention that injuries could NOT be blamed for Tyrones performances; yet, Spud the ballox deliberately tried to insinuate that MH had done just that.

I know I shouldn't let the w**ker get on my tits but I do.

full back

Have stopped watching the Sunday Game because of Spillane & the muppets on the show with him. The majority of the pundits on it seem to be 'yes' men to Spillane & if you dont agree with his opinions he shouts over the top of you.
The sooner he is fcuked out the better.
The anti Ulster stance he has doesnt bother me, its just his way of getting attention - what bothers me is how a quality show has went badly down hill since he took over as anchor

orangeman

Tohill is not bad - I ust wish he'd take Spillane on some night and embarass him.

Hardy

That man is rivalled only by Tony Fearon in his unembarassability.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on August 14, 2007, 01:26:02 PM
Tohill is not bad - I ust wish he'd take Spillane on some night and embarass him.

What, and hand him a mirror as he's roaring into that gale?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

magpie seanie

QuoteThat man is rivalled only by Tony Fearon in his unembarassability.

So true.

orangeman

We won't have to look at Spillane after this year. He'll be gone. Both RTE and the Sunday World realise this.

bingobus

Is there a case to be made that a non ex-footballer should be hosting these shows? That ex-players/managers should at best be pundits in passenger seat rather than the bus driver?

Spillane is still living in the past and is thereofre blinkered - its the way he played the game with Kerry or no way.

In most other sports the host comes from a non playing past - Richard Keyes, Bill O'herlihy, Big guy on rugby, Des Lynham, Gaby Yorath, Michael Lyster, Steve Ryder, Gary Linekar (In golf, I suppose his is the one exception on Match of the Day).

These presenters have no emotional ties and are professional in their approach, fair to all sides and don't feel the need to be controversal. Spillane is the opposite.

I think Joe Duffy should be the new host...or Pat Kenny. Gay Bryne is also doing nothing this weather.  ;D  ;D

orangeman

I suggested Brolly a few weeks ago and was shot down !!

Jinxy

It's dishy Daras job to lose! The housewives choice. I think he'd do a great job.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Des Cahill for me, based on the good job he's doing on "The Road to Croker". He knows his stuff, clearly loves the sport, asks the appropriate questions, lets the conversation develop, actually listens to the answers and isn't obsessed with his own contribution, in the usual RTE "this is my show and I'm not going to let you forget it" kind of way. In other words, like a good referee you don't notice him or remember him after the show, but realise you've been well entertained.