is now a good time to buy shares?

Started by the Deel Rover, August 11, 2007, 10:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: muppet on August 30, 2009, 06:39:57 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2009, 06:37:06 PM
I think that they will plummett from their current prices, i can't understand just how everyone has totally discounted the fact that the govt will almost certainly have to take another large wedge of both banks, i expect them to start dropping tomorrow morning as maybe lenno's weekend comments and the desmond news might lead people to re-evaluate their holdings. 
Apparently all the action has been with small punters coming in for 5 and 10 grands - they've done well in fairness, some very well, there were plenty of chances to buy up boi or aib at 20c and 30c just 6 months ago.  Wish to feck i'd done the same :'(  Is shorting irish financials still banned?

Apparently (so I'm told as I'm no expert) the ISEQ has been rising on relatively small transactions rather than the more desirable rally due to huge amounts of money coming back to the market. Lots of people are predicting a fall, especially in October.

My source was pretty good, just a week or two out. ISEQ taking a beating in the last week or two.

Mickey Linden, I hope you didn't go near the Irish Banks.

Also several posters here including Caid have talked about a 'W' shaped recession. Looks like we might be seeing the second downturn. Roll on the upturn.
MWWSI 2017

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Donagh on September 30, 2008, 10:08:38 AM
Holy feck!!! You Free Staters better start praying non of the banks go under. With a E7 billion hole already in this years finances, this could brakrupt the place for a decade.

I think Donagh's comment looks now to be the understatement of the decade!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

orangeman

BP shares are taking some battering.

Now down to £3.33.

Good time to buy or not ??

The Iceman

I pulled all my stocks and pushed them into a lifecycle index fund with vanguard.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

seafoid

Quote from: Mickey Linden on October 27, 2009, 02:50:37 PM
Dont know much about shares lads. Looking for some advice. Would banking shares be a good investment at the min? Was looking at LLoyds banking shares. Surely things will get better in the coming years in the banking industry? We have already seen signs of recovery with Goldman and JPMorgan announcing huge profits.

Whats the best way to go about buying shares?

Looking at banking shares just because they are local is like looking at your local club team in terms of winning the all-Ireland. Most of the growth over the next few years is not going to happen in europe. If you want to get into banks have a look at Asia or South America. that's where the growth and the profit is likely to be. 

Lloyds and RBS may rise significantly (especially if the analysts are right- they are always sunny and optimistic, god love them) but there is a lot of downside risk. At the beginning of the year all the hotshots were saying Irish Life and permanent should double to €6 and instead the shares halved. 

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on June 23, 2010, 05:16:37 PM

Now down to £3.33.

£3.08 and falling - BP looking very vulnerable now at these levels.

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on June 25, 2010, 09:41:55 AM

Now down to £3.33.

Wait for the take-over rumours.........
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on June 25, 2010, 12:01:11 PM

Now down to £3.33.

Surely by buying at £3.00 or so, any potential takeover would boost themm given their prime position on the world oil market ?.

seafoid

There is a smallish risk of BP becoming bankrupt. Otherwise the shares are undervalued due to an overreaction by the markets. A bit like Irish life and Permanent maybe.   

joemamas

Quote from: orangeman on June 25, 2010, 12:03:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 25, 2010, 12:01:11 PM

Now down to £3.33.

Surely by buying at £3.00 or so, any potential takeover would boost themm given their prime position on the world oil market ?.

Be careful, How can you buy a stock where you cannot even quantify thier liability. Yes BP has valuable global assets, but untimately may have to sell them to pay for current gulf mess.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: orangeman on October 31, 2008, 01:27:20 PM
We seem to have found the bottom - has anyone taken the plunge ??????????

have we found it yet ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Bogball XV

Quote from: orangeman on September 17, 2009, 10:15:56 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 17, 2009, 09:36:11 AM
big jump  irish bank shares this morning aib up 63 cent and boi up 35 cent

Desmond sold his too early. Human after all.
maybe not OM, maybe not :D :D

There's some great posts in this thread, some craic.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 25, 2010, 01:55:00 PM

have we found it yet ?

For once in my life I was lucky in regard to investments, during the crash of 2008 I had my 401k money in a fixed account as I was trying to buy extra pension benefits (this never materialized), I put the 401k money back in slowly to my accounts over the next 6 months with over a 50% return on my money since then. Pure luck, in right place at the right time!The markets have had a nice steady return in the last 18 months just spread out your exposure.

illdecide

Blow it out your ass Mayo :D

only messin, well done.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

the Deel Rover

Quote from: FL/MAYO on November 25, 2010, 04:26:47 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 25, 2010, 01:55:00 PM

have we found it yet ?

For once in my life I was lucky in regard to investments, during the crash of 2008 I had my 401k money in a fixed account as I was trying to buy extra pension benefits (this never materialized), I put the 401k money back in slowly to my accounts over the next 6 months with over a 50% return on my money since then. Pure luck, in right place at the right time!The markets have had a nice steady return in the last 18 months just spread out your exposure.

sure no wonder you are looking for house bargains FL  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001