is now a good time to buy shares?

Started by the Deel Rover, August 11, 2007, 10:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: comethekingdom on August 29, 2009, 01:47:22 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 28, 2009, 07:20:53 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 28, 2009, 12:29:20 PM
aib and boi at yearly highs today steadily rising this week . any ideas why investors are buying ?

People who are convinced NAMA will give them a free lunch.

Dermot Desmond has got rid of a load of his sheres in the 2 big banks according to todays Indo.
[/b]
And made another small fortune.

blast05

Desmond in my view is a good baromoter.
I heard he had sold mid last week and thus done the same myself. Time will tell ...... but my average price was 92c so happy days as i look at it now - 252c was my selling price

Bogball XV

I think that they will plummett from their current prices, i can't understand just how everyone has totally discounted the fact that the govt will almost certainly have to take another large wedge of both banks, i expect them to start dropping tomorrow morning as maybe lenno's weekend comments and the desmond news might lead people to re-evaluate their holdings. 
Apparently all the action has been with small punters coming in for 5 and 10 grands - they've done well in fairness, some very well, there were plenty of chances to buy up boi or aib at 20c and 30c just 6 months ago.  Wish to feck i'd done the same :'(  Is shorting irish financials still banned?

muppet

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2009, 06:37:06 PM
I think that they will plummett from their current prices, i can't understand just how everyone has totally discounted the fact that the govt will almost certainly have to take another large wedge of both banks, i expect them to start dropping tomorrow morning as maybe lenno's weekend comments and the desmond news might lead people to re-evaluate their holdings. 
Apparently all the action has been with small punters coming in for 5 and 10 grands - they've done well in fairness, some very well, there were plenty of chances to buy up boi or aib at 20c and 30c just 6 months ago.  Wish to feck i'd done the same :'(  Is shorting irish financials still banned?

Apparently (so I'm told as I'm no expert) the ISEQ has been rising on relatively small transactions rather than the more desirable rally due to huge amounts of money coming back to the market. Lots of people are predicting a fall, especially in October.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

big jump  irish bank shares this morning aib up 63 cent and boi up 35 cent
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

nifan

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2009, 06:37:06 PM
Is shorting irish financials still banned?

Lets hope so. Last thing thta is needed now.

orangeman

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 17, 2009, 09:36:11 AM

Desmond sold his too early. Human after all.

Donagh

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 17, 2009, 09:36:11 AM

Surely this means the investors think the Irish taxpayer have been shafted by the FFers? Still wouldn't touch Irish banks with Tony Fearons money.

My silver investment however is up 25% in four months. Steady as she goes...

The Iceman

25% increase this quarter on the portfolio
things are picking up
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

space rabbit

I have an Ark Life policy the last 4 years and im currently down roughly 2500 on what i have invested.  I know very little about these and it was something that i was talked into by the bank.  When i ring up to ask how its getting on all im told is that im getting cheap shares at the moment and it will come good.

Can anyone advise me on what to do i will need the money next year and im thinking about getting out now incase i lose more.

orangeman

Will shareholders take the profits and run afraid of further dilution of the share price ??

Bank of Ireland has raised the possibility of generating fresh funds by issuing new shares.

The bank said that the transfer of its loans to NAMA may result in a need for additional capital.

The bank has also has said it is now stabilising the bank after being in survival mode 18 months ago.

AdvertisementBank of Ireland chief executive Richie Boucher told a conference call that the bank must deal with a number of challenges but he said they would face up to them in a realistic way.

Mr Boucher said NAMA was an imaginative and well-thought out plan which will provide liquidity and ease concerns on asset quality in Irish banks along with helping them de-leverage their balance sheets.

Mr Boucher also refused to disclose the proportion of non-performing loans in the land and development book which is transferring to NAMA.

Staff have been reduced by 10% since 'the crisis' began.

At 1pm, shares in Bank of Ireland were up 11% and AIB was up over 20%.

Shares in Bank of Ireland and AIB also made significant gains on US stock markets.

Government figures show the NAMA plan will require significant capital injections for some financial institutions.

Many commentators had feared that NAMA could be soft on the banks.

However, the initial reaction from stockbrokers indicates the discounts on loans are more extreme than they would have expected.

Last night AIB said it would require an additional €2bn of capital.

It will try to raise that money by selling assets or raising it from investors, otherwise the capital will have come from the State.

The discounts for Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Nationwide are calculated to be well in excess of 30%.

For Anglo that means more taxpayers' money will be needed in the State owned bank.

Caid

Invested GBP500 in an ISA Index (FTSE 100) Tracker in July which I find is now worth GBP636.  Will invest more is the FTSE comes back near 5000.  Shares (or rather index trackers - for people without the time/inclination to follow individual stocks) are still cheap now despite recent rises (although I am worried about a W shaped recession so am a little wary).  Anyone investing in stocks should invest for a minimum 3-5 year time period (which is easier said than done)
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

orangeman

Quote from: Caid on October 20, 2009, 06:53:48 PM
Invested GBP500 in an ISA Index (FTSE 100) Tracker in July which I find is now worth GBP636.  Will invest more is the FTSE comes back near 5000.  Shares (or rather index trackers - for people without the time/inclination to follow individual stocks) are still cheap now despite recent rises (although I am worried about a W shaped recession so am a little wary).  Anyone investing in stocks should invest for a minimum 3-5 year time period (which is easier said than done)

Hope not. Would take a good while to get out of.

NAG1

Seemed to be a good time for the Saudi royal family who walked away yesterday with a cool 600m after selling some of their stock in Barclays. Admittedly they had bailed them out as the recession hit but thats a savage amount of money to make as profit.

Mickey Linden

Dont know much about shares lads. Looking for some advice. Would banking shares be a good investment at the min? Was looking at LLoyds banking shares. Surely things will get better in the coming years in the banking industry? We have already seen signs of recovery with Goldman and JPMorgan announcing huge profits.

Whats the best way to go about buying shares?