is now a good time to buy shares?

Started by the Deel Rover, August 11, 2007, 10:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

lfdown2

want to, how do i go about buying shares?

i just want to buy them and let them lye there long term.

muppet

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 31, 2008, 01:50:57 PM

Still not out of the woods. I'm guessing there will be more bad news before Christmas.

Iceland is goosed. Ukraine, Argentina (again) and Hungary are on the brink. Brasil, Mexico, South Korea, Singapore are reciving emergency loans from the IMF while Japan and Australia have already recevied funds. Beware of the Bear bounce. It can come back to earth with a bang.

Not a bad idea though to buy and hold long term as they will surely rise eventually, as long as you don't have to sell in the near future.

Lots of banks offer online share trading. Can be quite expensive that way if you plan a lot of transaction but if only for the odd one try AIB online or any of the others. Bullbearings and other online companies offer a decent service also.
MWWSI 2017

FL/MAYO

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 31, 2008, 01:50:57 PM

Friend of mine uses Scottrade, not sure if you have to be a U.S resident.

http://www.scottrade.com/

Over the Bar

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

blast05

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 01, 2008, 09:37:02 PM
Now is a good time to buy Gold. 

I'm not so sure  ... is it not near record highs ? and thus in saying it is a good time to buy it implies that there is a good bit more falling to do for the markets ?

As for shares, possibly a bit of a dead cat bounce alright but reasons to be positive:

- A 1% fall in interest rates pumps 2% of GDP back into peoples pockets through lesser loan/mortgage repayments (the 2% figure obviously only applying to Ireland, less for other ECB countries). We've already seen a half a percent interest rate fall with almost certainly the bulk of a full percentgage point if not more to yet come from the ECB given that all indicators are that inflation could fall below 1% by mid next year.
- As mentioned, inflation will be at much more reasonable rates.
- Ireland will benefit much more than most from the huge cash injections in the UK and us due to our disproportionate percentage of exports that go to those markets.

Reasons we're fcuked in the long term:
- Public sector pay bill .... more so the pension liability. The reality here is something is going to have to give in the next couple of years - say an extra very significant extra social insurance tax for public sector employees of 10% along with a 5-10% pay cut accross the board as per what Holland done a couple of months back. What will probably happen is the usual cycle in Irish politics: election held, FG get in and make the tough decisions, another election held as people have difficulty stomaching the changes and people vote FF back in as they associate the party with the good times, etc etc .....  If the tough decisions are not made, we will see the IMF running the country within 3-5 years and then we're truely fcuked - they would pull us out of the ECB, put a massive hike on interest rates (look at Iceland - 6% interest rise, and Hungary), increase corporation tax to EU norms (we know the impact that that would have) and increase PAYE rates accross the boards

DrinkingHarp

With the election over now is a good time to buy stocks for the long term.

Look at Caterpillar, John Deere and Walgreens.

Here is a guy who knows stocks well   www.cramers-mad-money.com
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

nifan

orangeman

Has Bank of Ireland reached the bottom ? Can they fall to nothing ?

Bank of Ireland shares plummet to 83 cent
  Monday, 17 November 2008 17:49
Bank of Ireland's share price dropped to 83 cent today, losing more than 25 cent and closing more than 23% down.

The bank's shares were the subject of a significant sell-off after it announced it was suspending paying dividends in a results announcement last week.

In February 2007, Bank of Ireland was valued at more than €18 billion and its shares were trading at well above €18 a share.

AdvertisementBut in recent times, the bank has been the victim of a collapse in confidence in world banking, aggravated by acute concern over its exposure to property lending here.

After the announcement of a 32% drop in profits in the six months to the end of September and the suspension of dividend payments last week, its share price began to drift lower to finish the week at €1.08.

This morning that suspension of dividends has seen the sell-off gain momentum with the share price drifting to 99 cent, then to 97 and down to 93 and then 90 before regaining to stand at €1.05 this afternoon.

Funds, which hold the shares long term to earn income from dividends, have had no option but to sell. But they are selling into a market with no appetite for Irish banks and where short selling - which encourages investors to buy shares at low prices - is the subject of a ban from the Financial Regulator.

illdecide

Tell me this lads if i bought shares in HBOS (75p a share roughly) and the company gets bought over will my shares still be valid??? HBOS will come good again thats a fact but it will take 18 months, they were £11 a share a few years ago...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

Quote from: illdecide on November 18, 2008, 09:24:46 AM
Tell me this lads if i bought shares in HBOS (75p a share roughly) and the company gets bought over will my shares still be valid??? HBOS will come good again thats a fact but it will take 18 months, they were £11 a share a few years ago...

As far as I'd be concerned your shares will be valid. But that would depend on the detail of the proposed takeover bid.

But you should be fine.

What do you think of Bank of Ireland Shares ? Surely they have to come good again as well ?

lfdown2

been watching boi for a while, i would rather they started to rise again before getting them, because imo although they will come back it may be after a gov bailout and surely if that happens your shares are fooked ???

orangeman

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 18, 2008, 09:45:00 AM
been watching boi for a while, i would rather they started to rise again before getting them, because imo although they will come back it may be after a gov bailout and surely if that happens your shares are fooked ???

By being diluted ?

lfdown2

yeah
i could be wrong though, happened once before