Gaa training, gym, diet and injury advice

Started by tintin25, August 09, 2007, 10:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

With regards the Threadmill, I tend to use it myself, but only because it's more convenient to have access to the weights machines as well when I visit the gym. It would be abit of a pain having to jog the roads and then head to the gym to use any of the weights/cardio machines.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 24, 2007, 08:36:36 AM
Cathandkick, sounds like you have developed your body through your early teens to suit long distance, endurance type activities and the bulk of your power lies in your thighs now. what you need to do is try and develop your fast-twitch muscle fibres instead of your slow-twitch, at the moment id say your at ratio of 75:25 slow to fast which basically means that your body has become accustomed to all those slogging sessions through the years and not enough explosive,speed,power based activities have been performed. you need to try and re-address the balance and since your still relatively young (peak age) then you should have no real problems. my advice (and im no expert) is to look into plyometrics, leaps, bounds, jumps etc within exercises. on the field your lookin to do shuttle runs over short distances with plenty of turns, loadsa cones etc. the emphasis is on short sharp bursts in various directions. alot of good techniques and advice can be found from Rugby coaches, magazines,books etc.read up on it and you will find its quite interesting.

Thats great advise Brick! The plyometrics are the introduction of ladders and hurdles. Stepping through quickly and explosively as well as jumping and pounding over the small 1ft hurls helps with speed in the legs. Buth from the moving from the side and and forward. Lots of sprinting back and over between cones helps too.  Check out http://www.brianmac.co.uk/plymo.htm

parttimeexile

I know a lot of people on here are very against the treadmill but would they reckon that it woulld be good for shiftin a few pounds/stone over the winter??

stpauls

Quote from: parttimeexile on October 24, 2007, 09:49:37 AM
I know a lot of people on here are very against the treadmill but would they reckon that it woulld be good for shiftin a few pounds/stone over the winter??

it is definately good for losing weight but as people said, it is not great for actual fitness. due to playing basketball, my ankles and knees are pretty fecked, and road running is not an option for me over the winter months, so the only thing i can do to stop my weight from going up over these months is to use it!!!

Brick Tamlin

great way to shift the pounds no doubt and is very useful for using other equipment in a similar environment and im in no way against it but i feel people overrate the thing a bit or rely on it too much.
how about a wee jog to the gym if its close by and then continue your session of weights etc then a light jog home again maybe by an alternative route.variety is essential in maintaining a good training programme, personally i just get bored running on the treadmill for an age.

take_yer_points

I've found it a good way to lose a few pounds. I've been doing some soccer training 2 nights a week but mostly on the threadmill - lost just over a stone in a few months - from just over 12 stone down to 11.

When I lose another few pounds I'll get out onto the road!!  :)

stpauls

i know what you mean Brick, it can get boring at times, but i make sure i have some music on the headphones that is loud and has a good rythym to it, i just concentrate on the music and the time just flies by!! and make sure it is music you really like, or it can just be annoying. i burned a cd specifically for just such a reason.

mannix

I hate threadmills but they are handy in bad weather or if you want to see a game and run at the same time.Running outside is a lot cooler and time goes faster i always find.Weight training is definetly good if you can get a good trainer to show you the ropes, a good trainer being a lad with muscle, he put it there with work and know how.

hmmm

The best weights excercises for speed are those the concentrate on the hip flexor/glute area such as Squats and Cleans. Complement this with some good core work, upper body maintenance and plyomterics (note that plyos excercises can do more harm then good if you haven't built up a half decent base of strength first before doing them) and you'll find your first 5 yards much improved after 3 months.

A sample winter session - all sets to be done at max weight:
4x3 cleans   - 2mins rest between sets
3x6 back squat - 2mins rest between sets
3x8 bench press  - 2mins rest between sets
3x8 bradford press - 2mins rest between sets
3x1min core holds - 90 secs between sets
3x12 crunches  - 90 secs between sets
3x10 atlas holds - 90 secs between sets

To be honest I wouldn't go off doing these yourself, get someone trained in strength and conditioning to show you how to do these properly otherwise you will definitely risk injury.

DirtyDozen12

Can anyone recommend a start up programme for someone looking to bulk up a bit over the winter.  I play senior ball but would consider myself a bit light and would like to increase my body mass over the winter.  I tell you now, anyone who is light will argue that it is harder to put on weight than to lose it.  Some people seem to pile on the weight while others like me cant put on a pound no matter how much i try.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.  I definitely think i need a realistic starting point and something to build on.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

stpauls

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on October 24, 2007, 11:37:36 AM
Can anyone recommend a start up programme for someone looking to bulk up a bit over the winter.  I play senior ball but would consider myself a bit light and would like to increase my body mass over the winter.  I tell you now, anyone who is light will argue that it is harder to put on weight than to lose it.  Some people seem to pile on the weight while others like me cant put on a pound no matter how much i try.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.  I definitely think i need a realistic starting point and something to build on.

DD12, see below for my program that i just got set up for exactly the same reason, though i am a bit soft around the middle and am planning to get it sorted too!!

program involves:

15 minutes on the treadmill at 9.8 kph
20 minutes on bike at effort level 7 at 80 rpm

4*8 sets of assisted wide grip pull ups with 25Kg assistance
3/4*8 sets of barbell curls at 25Kg
4*8 sets of shoulder presses at 35kg
3/4*8 sets of butterflies at 35Kg
4*12 sets of leg press at 80Kg
3/4*12 sets of leg extensions at 35Kg

3*15-20 push outs (for abs)
3*25 angled sit-ups (about 30 degrees)

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: stpauls on October 24, 2007, 11:42:22 AM
program involves:

15 minutes on the treadmill at 9.8 kph
20 minutes on bike at effort level 7 at 80 rpm

4*8 sets of assisted wide grip pull ups with 25Kg assistance
3/4*8 sets of barbell curls at 25Kg
4*8 sets of shoulder presses at 35kg
3/4*8 sets of butterflies at 35Kg
4*12 sets of leg press at 80Kg
3/4*12 sets of leg extensions at 35Kg

3*15-20 push outs (for abs)
3*25 angled sit-ups (about 30 degrees)

Cheers St Pauls.  Maybe you can clear up a few things for me..like excuse my ignorance on this one but what does butterflies entail, i cant picture in my head how to do them?

Also, how long have you been doing this program and are you seeing any results.  I once heard someone say that if you do 30 press-ups every night you can increase your strength by about 20 to 30% in a matter of weeks...any Truth in this?

stpauls

DD, only started that on Monday so no progress to be seen yet, although it did start one in January and did see it having an effect but it was not as tough as that as it was just to tone up and lose weight, but this one is to bulk up during the off season.

butterflies (or pec dec as it is called in the gym) is where you put your arms out to the side in a L shape, with your hands pointed upwards and pull the weights towards the centre, like so

never heard that about the push ups but probably wouldn't do you any harm!!

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: stpauls on October 24, 2007, 12:11:25 PM
DD, only started that on Monday so no progress to be seen yet, although it did start one in January and did see it having an effect but it was not as tough as that as it was just to tone up and lose weight, but this one is to bulk up during the off season.

butterflies (or pec dec as it is called in the gym) is where you put your arms out to the side in a L shape, with your hands pointed upwards and pull the weights towards the centre, like so

never heard that about the push ups but probably wouldn't do you any harm!!

Thanks St Paul, and yes i would do her above  ;).  Just thought id throw that in since Laois Lad has destroyed our fun on the would you/wouldn't you thread by locking it  >:(  Spoil sport LL

stpauls

spoilt brat more like it!! taking a hissy fit and throwing his toys out of the pram!!!