Roles within a management team

Started by irunthev, August 06, 2007, 03:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

If you were to be asked to put together a management team for a senior inter-county team, what would your job description and expectations be for each of the following be and how in-depth should their knowledge, qualifications  and experience be?

Manager:

Coach:

Trainer:

Selector:

neutral

Manager: Delegator and dictator; diplomat and wreck the house, hot and cold -  a marriage of two ideals. Hes not always right but will insist he is, when people stop believeing its over for him. Has a plan
Trainer: organiser and provider of drills which implement the managerial plan.  Monitors fitness levels and is in the main responsible for fitness levels being maintained or increased over a season..       
Coach: developing players, strengthening their weaknesses ensuring the ability of panels to adhere to the strategy of play offers alternative strategies cusomised per game if neccessary.
Selector: provides an alternative or complimentary view of personnel selction: Knows each players attributes can weigh them up and advise on the line to the manager.

irunthev

On the inter-county scene at present, who would you see as the best individuals in those roles and also who are the best collective currently in operation?

Real Talk

Quote from: irunthev on August 06, 2007, 04:42:57 PM
On the inter-county scene at present, who would you see as the best individuals in those roles and also who are the best collective currently in operation?

That's an impossible task.  It's likely there are lots of talented idividuals in 'lesser' known counties who don't have the top quality players and don't have the big profile.  However, here goes ................

Manager: Mickey Harte (Tyrone)

Coach: (Meath)

Trainer: Martin McElkennon (Monaghan)

Selector: Brian Talty (Dublin)

[/quote]

irunthev

I know it is pretty difficult task but it would be interesting to see how many people from the smaller counties recognise the talents of their management teams or whether they base their ability purely on results.
In 2007 for example, London had a guy called Martin Kennedy from Dublin looking after coaching and physical conditioning and I would put my mortgage on it that very few of even the top counties had any one of his quality with them.
The players in London knew they were lucky to have him and I would be surprised if he isn't snapped up by another county for next year. He really is top drawer.

robertemmet

Other important people in management team are physios, stats/video analyst, dietician, kit/equipment man, sponsor, county board liason.