Cyril Farrell's comment on the Sunday game

Started by john mcgill, August 05, 2007, 06:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john mcgill

Listening to Cyril Farrell, Sunday Game,  today and the comment on the decision to delay the hurling throw in to 2.15pm, he indicated his annoyance in the stupidity of the decision by saying "its a bit Irish".  I personally feel that this is racist.  Subsitute Jewish, black, gay etc for Irish and there would be an uproar.  I'm not a PC cop but having worked in England in the 60's and been the butt of Irish jokes, I feel that it is totally inappropriate for a commentator on the national channel to make such a remark.

The Real Laoislad

Cyril Farrell is a knob in my opinion i can't watch him when he's on he irritates me
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thebuzz

But it's totally different if we're saying it ourselves. I think that is the beauty about being Irish. Sure we can have a laugh at ourselves.

john mcgill

What, that we can laugh at ourselves being shown as stupid. There is too much history to allow that even though we know it is not true.

Hound

Its a bit like African Americans are allowed called themselves the N word, but nobody else is.

I think its fine to be self-deprecaiting (sp?!) but I see the point that it proably encourages others to use it too

Armagh Exile

Cyril Farrell wanted Tomas Mulachy to quote what he had heard at Mass this morining.
What would our members of other faiths think about this.
Surely we in the GAA are a non-sectarian organisation?
Farrell just likes to have himself heard.

rolloutking

how many times did he say 'Bang, straight over the bar'

pintsofguinness

I can't say I was happy about what he said but I don't think it was worthy of uproar either. 
I don't think putting ourselves down is helpful. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

GalwayBayBoy

Jesus lads ye must have little to be complaining about.

Bogball XV

Quote from: john mcgill on August 05, 2007, 06:49:02 PM
What that we can laugh at ourselves being shown as stupid. There is too much history to allow that even though we know it is not true.
You based in the states or why are you PC to the extent of having a huge chip on your shoulder?

Rossfan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 05, 2007, 08:55:18 PM
Jesus lads ye must have little to be complaining about.

Exactly Galway. It must be because the Ulster Champions are out that they are so grouchy  :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

neilthemac

john mcgill

I am not based in the US.  I do not have a chip on my shoulder.  I just object to a commentator appearing on a national broadcaster and making cheap, insensitive and racist remarks.  Why couldn't he have said that it was a stupid decision and left it like that, he had no need to hang it on any of his petty prejudices.  Yes I know some of his best friends are Irish, so its OK for him to say that.  Frankly I'm amazed that anyone could try and justify his remarks or put up a smokescreen around them by attacking me personally.  If a child had used the same remark he would have been corrected.
I apologise if I offend anyone's views of Mr Farrell.

fearglasmor

Quote from: john mcgill on August 06, 2007, 07:50:34 AM
....... making cheap, insensitive and racist remarks.  .......... on any of his petty prejudices. 
Yes I know some of his best friends are Irish, so its OK for him to say that. 

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Rossfan

Why was the game put back 15 minutes anyway?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM