All Ireland SFC 2007 is for Kerry to lose it now

Started by LegalEagle, August 04, 2007, 06:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2007, 10:45:02 PM
QuoteHandy when you automatically make the quarters every year isn't it?

I thought lack of competitive games was a disadvantage..no ?

Not me who said that Mikey ;)  I wouldn't think there'd be many managers who would prefer to play through the qualifiers instead of go directly to the quarters.

ONeill

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2007, 11:03:00 PM
You expect that history will use that excuse for a football team as the baramoter of what makes a worthy AI winner ?

Yes. That's why Paidi and Jack were sacked/resigned/slapped by spectators.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2007, 11:03:00 PM
You expect that history will use that excuse for a football team as the baramoter of what makes a worthy AI winner ? How many wides did ye kick ? ..30 yards out and ye couldnt put the ball over the bar. Face, if ye cant suffocate teams then ye have nothing much to offer.
That'd be the same team of footballers who outplayed Kerry for the first 25 mins in the '03 semi, 6 - 0 up I seem to remember, then ye decided to take out Canavan, they decided they were going to win and stop playing football, and you can't fault them for that.

johnpower

Quote from: ONeill on August 04, 2007, 10:50:03 PM
Feel a wee bit sorry for Kerry - this generation's breed of footballers will still not be recognised as any good at all til they beat Tyrone in the SFC. (failed in 03/05).

Tyrone - unbeaten against the kingdom for 21 years!

I think Tyrone will be back , any way Kerry are in it for another week . Meath are also unbeaten in 21 years against Kerry

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI seem to remember, then ye decided to take out Canavan

I think are getting your "star player taken out" mixed up. It was gooch that was taken out of it, an event which was the turning point in the game.

I feel sorry for Tyrone. The only AI's they have won are tainted. History will look on them as hard workers but, ultimately, an uninspiring lot

paddypastit

Kerry '06 had something that they didn't have in the three or four preceding years - D O'Se firing on all cylinders. It was that, and not Donaghy that made the difference when it mattered, although it has to be said that the totally inept efforts of Cork and Mayop tpo defend the 'high ball into the square' and 'Big man on the edge of the square' combined played into their hands - not to mention Francie Bellew being booked 25 odd minutes into the QF last year.  This year Kerry have lost the spine of their defence, and will not have the element of surprise in the FF line.  They are therefore highly in need of another vintage season from the emminent Dara - not a basis for betting the mortgage if you take a five year view.

All in all, thus far the only measure of any sort for Kerry is Cork and on the basis of their displays against both Louth and Sligo, that's not much of an endorsement. I think Monaghan could beat them - no messing.  They may not have as much flair and potential but they are well organised, well motivated, won't be intimidated physically and know more about themselves in a tight corner this year than Kerry do.  If Kerry can get across Monaghan, they will have learned a lot from that game and would have a reasonable prospect of pushing on.

The other side of the draw is interesting.  On raw ability and flair I think Derry probably outweigh Dublin and I'd happily bet that if this were being played anywhere else in the country, Derry would win but they are raw coming into the cauldron that will be Croker and 65,000 odd Dubs - if they react well, they could soar and fly... if not, notch another one up for Dublin. It will be either one extreme or the other. Funnily. I'd fancy either to beat Monaghan, for different reasons, but neither to beat Kerry.

On today's performances. you'd have to say that Meath would be favourites in the other semi, but then Meath will allow Cork play a little and will then try to outplay them unlike Sligo who tried to choke them.  That is a 50/50 game.

Far from over and far far from Kerry's by default - they've come back to the pack

Oh... and BTW O'Neill, no offence but stop clutching at straws.  In the 7 championships completed so far in this decade, Kerry have never  not been in a semi, have been in five finals and have won three titles. In that context, I'm sure they can live with loosing two matches?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Mike Sheehy

QuoteOh... and BTW O'Neill, no offence but stop clutching at straws.  In the 7 championships completed so far in this decade, Kerry have never  not been in a semi, have been in five finals and have won three titles. In that context, I'm sure they can live with loosing two matches?

Couldnt have put it better myself.

..and, since ye brought up the "how many years" subject, how many years has it been since Tyrone beat Meath in the championship  :D :D ...bet ye were all waiting to put the boot in after '96...didnt quite work out did it ?

ONeill

QuoteCouldnt have put it better myself.

Exactly.

Mike Sheehy

grasping at straws O'Neill, grasping at straws  ;D ;D

Maguire01

Quote from: johnpower on August 04, 2007, 10:39:59 PM
so maguire did meath play well today or was it down to Tyrones Injuries ?,Does it really matter what people say if monaghan win next sunday then best of luck to you and bring on the semi

Yes, Meath played well - no doubt about that. Although i did say to myself half way through the match that whoever loses would only have themselves to blame. Seriously poor finishing and a mammoth amount of wides for this stage in the championship.

Meat were good - and will get past Cork, i'd expect - but they're not unbeatable. Also, I do feel that whoever comes out of the other semi-final would be favourites. It would be good to see Meath v Monaghan or Derry - would make for a nice change.

From an Ulster perspective, it's ironic that the 3 sides on the supposedly tougher side of the Ulster Chamionship draw - Tyrone, Armagh and Donegal, are al out of the Championship, whilst Derry and Monaghan are still there. Even moreso, the fact that Derry put out Armagh, and Monaghan put out Donegal.

darbyo

Would love to see Monaghan get to and win the AI but a Meath V Dublin final would be special. Would be the hottest ticket in the history of Irish sport.

ONeill

1-29 to 2-16 (combined)

Throw in 1986.....2-39 to 4-31

Kerry will never be at peace.

Maguire01

Quote from: darbyo on August 04, 2007, 11:44:07 PM
Would love to see Monaghan get to and win the AI but a Meath V Dublin final would be special. Would be the hottest ticket in the history of Irish sport.

It would be a big event. On the basis of today's game, i'd now probably rate Meath above Dublin. Next Saturday however, if Derry manage to get a good start and silence the crowd, they'd be in with a good chance of finishing off the Dubs.

darbyo

QuoteNext Saturday however, if Derry manage to get a good start and silence the crowd, they'd be in with a good chance of finishing off the Dubs.

totally agree, if the game was anywhere except CP then the 3/1 price on Derry would be well worth a few bob, as it is I think I'll still wager a few quid on it. Derry are a quailty side IMO and I can't understand why they've been so poor over the last few years as I think they have AI potential.

Maguire01

Quote from: darbyo on August 04, 2007, 11:57:14 PM
QuoteNext Saturday however, if Derry manage to get a good start and silence the crowd, they'd be in with a good chance of finishing off the Dubs.

totally agree, if the game was anywhere except CP then the 3/1 price on Derry would be well worth a few bob, as it is I think I'll still wager a few quid on it. Derry are a quailty side IMO and I can't understand why they've been so poor over the last few years as I think they have AI potential.

It would be totally out of the blue if Derry were to win the AI however - almost as unlikely as Monaghan at the start of the year! Still hard to know how good they are.

So far this year:
v Antrim - not very impressive - let a big early lead slip
v Monaghan - terrible and should have been beaten by much more than 2 points
v Armagh - good close game, but then again, Armagh couldn't beat Donegal, and look what happened to Donegal!
v Mayo - had already been beaten by Galway who were subsequently beaten by Sligo. Mayo also let in 3 goals against a Cavan team that were beaten by Down!
v Laois - in the end, won without too much bother, but how good are Laois? Not too handy against the Dubs.

Basically my point being that i think it's hard to judge the quality of the teams they've played against and beat. They have however, got consistency and i wouldn't be as confident if Monaghan met them again.