Scurrilous attack on all Gaels and Nationalists by O'Reilly's rag

Started by T Fearon, August 04, 2007, 10:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Once again the denial of commonly acknowledged facts. I ask you then how can the so called Football for All initiative be sincere when they are in denial of the very events that allegedly inspired it in the first place?

nifan

Rogans piece was very interesting

Quotebut I also think that before the match and after it the media certainly made the most of it.
QuoteAfter that first game as a Celtic player there was a little hassle for me in Northern Ireland games but nothing serious.
QuoteThey can play their part. I remember when Windsor Park was an intimidating place to play - for the opposition. Let's hope it's that way against the Czechs.

nifan

Tony  -the facts are that abuse happened - it was the catalyst for FFA
its your interpretation and exaggeration of the facts that is the problem, along
with a lot of rhetoric

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on August 07, 2007, 06:14:33 PM
No Tony Sammy has thrown that whole debate into doubt by casting the question as to how many people who voted against his view actually ever went to Windsor.
So if you want that thread to be taken seriously please let everyone who voted that way form a polite queue to show Sammy their ticket stubs  :o :o :o

It gets more surreal every day

Aye you're right that's exactly what I said.  ::)
[/quote]

Its not exaclty what you said as I didnt quote you, now I will if it makes a difference  ::)

"How many of those 48 people have ever been to WP (or even know where it is)?"

Another argument, at the stage where there were 7 people voting that way was to point out that out of 600000 nationalists only 7 said they felt intimidated.
Now apart from the stupidity to suggest all 600000 nationalists are members of GAAboard and elligible to vote there, this would surely not be a true figure, surely from the 600000 nationalist to mention to boost your argument you must remove the huge proportion who havent been to Windsor (or even know where it is)  :o
Ask me holy bollix

MW

Quote from: Aerlik on August 08, 2007, 01:25:53 AM
>:(
Sammy G, in the spring of 1986 (pretty sure it was in May), prior to their departure for the World Cup, the 6-Counties team played a challenge against Morocco at Windsor Park. Morocco won 1-0, too I believe.  I went to the game with two Protestant colleagues of my sister who, due to work commitments, couldn't make it.  Lucky her.

We were standing in the stand just in front of the press boxes. 

As soon as Anton Rogan's name was read out a torrent of vitriolic sectarian abuse started and continued throughout the game.  Every time he touched the ball, the language from those around me was, to say the least, very frightening.  To the point I will never, ever step into that shitehole again.  I think it was lucky for me that I was with two Protestants that night.  I also remember getting some stares as I didn't participate in the dirge to a foreign monarch either.

So there you have it, Sammy G. It did happen. I was there.  And that is, quite simply, the last time I ever lent anything resembling "support" to the 6-Counties team, even though the captain was a townie of mine.

I thought Rogan didn't make his debut until October 1987? ???

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 08, 2007, 10:05:58 AM
Quote from: SammyG on August 07, 2007, 06:14:33 PM
No Tony Sammy has thrown that whole debate into doubt by casting the question as to how many people who voted against his view actually ever went to Windsor.
So if you want that thread to be taken seriously please let everyone who voted that way form a polite queue to show Sammy their ticket stubs  :o :o :o

It gets more surreal every day

Aye you're right that's exactly what I said.  ::)

Its not exaclty what you said as I didnt quote you, now I will if it makes a difference  ::)

"How many of those 48 people have ever been to WP (or even know where it is)?"

Another argument, at the stage where there were 7 people voting that way was to point out that out of 600000 nationalists only 7 said they felt intimidated.
Now apart from the stupidity to suggest all 600000 nationalists are members of GAAboard and elligible to vote there, this would surely not be a true figure, surely from the 600000 nationalist to mention to boost your argument you must remove the huge proportion who havent been to Windsor (or even know where it is)  :o
[/quote]

Excellent piece of selective quoting. If you read the previous posts, you'll see that the 'know where it is' post was in relation to a previous poster who mentioned 'driving past' WP on his way to Uni, even though there aren't any through roads that pass WP.

SammyG

Quote from: MW on August 08, 2007, 10:31:14 AM
Sammy G, in the spring of 1986 (pretty sure it was in May), prior to their departure for the World Cup, the 6-Counties team played a challenge against Morocco at Windsor Park. Morocco won 1-0, too I believe.  I went to the game with two Protestant colleagues of my sister who, due to work commitments, couldn't make it.  Lucky her.

As soon as Anton Rogan's name was read out a torrent of vitriolic sectarian abuse started and continued throughout the game.  Every time he touched the ball, the language from those around me was, to say the least, very frightening.  To the point I will never, ever step into that shitehole again.  I think it was lucky for me that I was with two Protestants that night.  I also remember getting some stares as I didn't participate in the dirge to a foreign monarch either.

So there you have it, Sammy G. It did happen. I was there.  And that is, quite simply, the last time I ever lent anything resembling "support" to the 6-Counties team, even though the captain was a townie of mine.

I thought Rogan didn't make his debut until October 1987? ???

Correct Oct 87 against Yugoslavia, whereas the Morrocco match was in April 86.

his holiness nb

Selective quoting my bollox, you were caught out talking shite  :D :D :D :D

Should I post your entire thread every time when quoting you to avoid being "selective" ??

Jesus
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 08, 2007, 10:50:17 AM
Selective quoting my bollox, you were caught out talking shite  :D :D :D :D

Should I post your entire thread every time when quoting you to avoid being "selective" ??

Jesus

Somebody (I think it was mooncat) said he drove past WP, I pointed out that he couldn't have. You only post my answer and then use this to say that I said only people who've been to WP, should vote. I think by any stretch that's selective quoting.

Evil Genius

Interesting memories there, Aerlik - it's always good to hear what happened, from someone who was there. I was particularly impressed by the following:

"pretty sure it was in May" - It was April 1986, actually, but no matter.

"Morocco won 1-0, too I believe" - Actually, NI won 2-1

"We were standing in the stand just in front of the press boxes" - Curious, since the Press Box (singular) at Windsor is right at the very back of the South Stand. All the area in front of it is seating. The standing area of the South Stand is down at the front, some distance away.

"I also remember getting some stares as I didn't participate in the dirge to a foreign monarch either" - Curious that people should single you out, seeing as half the NI team who played that night never used to sing the Anthem, either (you know, Jennings, Donaghy, Ramsey etc). Unless, of course, the foreign monarch you refer to was His Majesty, the late King Hassan II... Were there many of your fellow fans singing the "Hymne Cherifien" that evening?

"As soon as Anton Rogan's name was read out a torrent of vitriolic sectarian abuse started and continued throughout the game.  Every time he touched the ball, the language from those around me was, to say the least, very frightening" - Most curious of all, really. Tell me, did they read out Anton's name specifically so that people could abuse him? I know that sounds strange, but it's the only explanation I can come up with, seeing as Anton didn't actually play that night, even as one of the four permitted substitutes:
FRIENDLY INTERNATIONAL
23/04/1986, Belfast, Windsor Park, 12.000
NORTHERN IRELAND 2-1 MOROCCO [HT 1-0]
Scorers: Colin Clarke, Jimmy Quinn

NORTHERN IRELAND:
Pat Jennings                 [Everton]                  [116/0]
>46' Jim Platt               [Coleraine]                [23/0]
Paul Ramsey                  [Leicester City]           [9/0]
Mal Donaghy                  [Luton Town]               [42/0]
John O'Neill                 [Leicester City]           [36/1]
Alan McDonald                [Queen's Park Rangers]     [5/1]
Ian Stewart                  [Newcastle United]         [26/2]
>55' David Campbell          [Nottingham Forest]        [1/0]
Norman Whiteside             [Manchester United]        [26/7]
>55' Billy Hamilton          [Oxford United]            [38/5]
Bernard McNally              [Shrewsbury Town]          [1/0]
Colin Clarke                 [Bournemouth]              [3/1]
Sammy McIlroy [c]            [Manchester City]          [84/5]
Steve Penney                 [Brighton & Hove Albion]   [7/0]
>76' Jimmy Quinn             [Blackburn Rovers]         [11/3]
[COACH: Billy Bingham]
Referee: Cooper (Wales)

Anyhow, your memory is no doubt better than that of, say, Anton Rogan, who somehow or other came up with this piece of nonsense a wee while back:

"After that first game as a Celtic player there was a little hassle for me in Northern Ireland games but nothing serious. In fact, I think I became quite well liked by the Windsor fans because they knew I always gave 100% for Northern Ireland"
(Belfast Telegraph, 22/03/01)

By the way, Anton's first game for NI was in October 1987, 18 months after the abuse you recall his having received at Windsor. In Sarajevo. He didn't make his home debut until March 1988, almost 2 years after you resolved never to set foot in Windsor Park again. In that game, a 1-1 draw with Poland, he came on as a substitute for the last 30 minutes, which presumably was when some of the crowd did, indeed, boo him. All 4,903 of them. Any idea whether they also booed the NI keeper that night? After all, Allan McKnight was also a Celtic player at the time, and they had the full 90 minutes to vent their spleen at him...

P.S. You state that the NI captain that night was a "townie" of yours. During Anton's nine home caps from 1987-1992, NI only had four captains - Norman Whiteside, John McClelland, Mal Donaghy and Alan McDonald. All are from Belfast...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

MW

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2007, 11:11:45 AM

"pretty sure it was in May" - It was April 1986, actually, but no matter.

"Morocco won 1-0, too I believe" - Actually, NI won 2-1

One more point...clearly Anton Rogan didn't play in that match (or make his debut for NI till over a year later), but anyway at that point in time he was a Distillery player - according to soccerbase.com he signed for Celtic on 9 May 1986...

T Fearon

The point is that Anton Rogan was on the receiving end of shameful sectarian abuse whilst playing for N.Ireland at Windsor Park not the semantics of when and who he was playing against

nifan

Anton himself didnt mention sectarian abuse - he said there was some booing, it died away and the NI fans liked him. what happened him was a disgrace anyway.

Interesting post from aerlik however...

Yer Ma

Quote from: T Fearon on August 08, 2007, 11:33:42 AM
The point is that Anton Rogan was on the receiving end of shameful sectarian abuse whilst playing for N.Ireland at Windsor Park not the semantics of when and who he was playing against

It is discouraging though to find someone state in bold 'I was there. It did happen', only to find that it was impossible, and therefore he's talking blatant rubbish.

However, it is not pleasant to see that Rogan was booed at all for his Celtic connection, in the same manner that Lennon was.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: T Fearon on August 08, 2007, 11:33:42 AM

That may indeed be the point but another pertinent point is that this Aerlik character made up a ball of shíte as "evidence".  Generally, one will  doubt the veracity of something when it is backed up by lies.

/Jim.